Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil Comsumption / Engine Problems with 2010/2011 Cali's

If you look at the for sale section you will see the majority of 2010 Cali's that come on the market are at around 20-35k miles, I think this means we will not see how major this problem is for a few years to come. I just feel sorry for anyone with a 2010 or 2011 that is thinking of selling as the vehicle could virtually become unslellable!

If you look at the for sale section you will see the majority of 2010 Cali's that come on the market are at around 20-35k miles, I think this means we will not see how major this problem is for a few years to come. I just feel sorry for anyone with a 2010 or 2011 that is thinking of selling as the vehicle could virtually become unslellable!
Correct for the California BUT not the case for Commercial T5's with the same engine, many of which will certainly have done 70,000 + miles by now. Not many posts on the T5 forums about this problem.

Correct for the California BUT not the case for Commercial T5's with the same engine, many of which will certainly have done 70,000 + miles by now. Not many posts on the T5 forums about this problem.

True, but that may be because the problem arose within the warrantee period. As a leisure vehicle, the Cali mileage is usually very much lower and so the issue doesn't arise until after the warrantee has expired.

Alan

That is a good point, due to the majority of these being work vans they will have clocked up the mileage within the warranty period ( or close enough to easily get some goodwill ) Also due to the majority of these being work vans owned by businesses they would be less inclined to post on forums, finally most work vans will be the 140 or below, I suspect the worst effected models will be the California and Caravelle

True, but that may be because the problem arose within the warrantee period. As a leisure vehicle, the Cali mileage is usually very much lower and so the issue doesn't arise until after the warrantee has expired.

Alan
Correct and there are very few reports on the T5 forum or internet regarding this problem from 2010 onwards. Make of that what you will but I think that would indicate it is not widespread.

A short update on my re engined Cali.

Covered about 2500 miles so far, all running well but the MPG was alarmingly low.

Today, I left Le Mans after the MotoGP at the weekend and meandered on non motorway/toll roads down to CAHORS, where I am parked up by the river, lovely rustic drive through rural France with Cali well loaded with supplies and doing about 100kph variable. Average mpg was plus 34. Satisfied.

Tomorrow will skirt Toulouse and then up over the Pyrenees and down via VIC to Montmelo for the weekends F1 GP.

Then across Spain/Portugal to Porto for the following weekends WRC round, prior to heading off to my adopted home at Alcoutim.

This issue affects a lot of CFCA engines. There is a Facebook group here https://www.facebook.com/groups/122196238114704/

The Norwegian Ambulance service have also had issues with the CFCA engine.

https://www.nrk.no/sognogfjordane/ambulansane-toler-ikkje-utrykking-1.12991872

I've managed to get my insurance company to cover half the cost of my engine and they have had a lot of issues reported to them about the CFCA, insurance here in Norway can cover engine and gearbox luckily.
Yes 2010/2011 CFCA engines. Not all CFCA engines.:thumb

Hi WelshGas

It's not just 2010/11 CFCA's. I've seen newer ones through the VW dealers.

Check the EGR cooler, as that is the root cause of the issue, If it's suffix D or later then it is ok, but if it's C or lower (and no suffix) then the EGR cooler corrodes internally.

Corrosion then passes into cylinders and gets stuck in the rings leading to bore wear.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a different cause to the manufacturing fault with the 2010/2011 engines. Thank you for the Information.:thumb

What manufacturing fault are you referring to with the 2010/2011 models?

Mine is a 2010, and it was confirmed that the oil consumption was too high, and it was repaired by VW. I've not heard of any other root cause for the oil consumption on the CFCA other than the EGR cooler corrosion.

I'd love to see those Norwegian documents translated into English.

What manufacturing fault are you referring to with the 2010/2011 models?

Mine is a 2010, and it was confirmed that the oil consumption was too high, and it was repaired by VW. I've not heard of any other root cause for the oil consumption on the CFCA other than the EGR cooler corrosion.
How did they repair it?
Replacement engine, DPF, various sensors etc:.?
Details from VW are difficult to come by, but certain CFCA engines manufactured between 2010 and mid 2011 had a manufacturing fault that led to the cylinder bores becoming oval. Excess oil consumption and damage to the Anti-pollution equipment. This occurred at about 60,000 miles. VW issued a Technical Note and the Repair was basically a complete engine replacement + DPF and various sensors.

Right here goes:

1st Picture
T5: Oil use in CFCA Engine
Corrosion in the exhaust gas channels of the EGR cooler
Corrosion on the cooling ribs from condensation in the exhaust gas leading to formation of (particles) in the form of aluminum hydroxide - AL(OH)3

Particles flow with the EGR cooled gases into the cylinder.

2nd Picture
New engine is in production and delivery started. 03L100 092AX (this is the new engine part number)
Improved water gallery on top with thicker parts so that the top doesn't crack. It comes with a new EGR cooler to prevent wear in the engine.

3rd Picture

Abrasive wear on piston rings and cylinder wall (Stempelringer is piston ring)

Pil means arrow, so the arrow is showing the AL(OH)3 in the sylinder walls and the state of the piston rings.

How did they repair it?
Replacement engine, DPF, various sensors etc:.?
Details from VW are difficult to come by, but certain CFCA engines manufactured between 2010 and mid 2011 had a manufacturing fault that led to the cylinder bores becoming oval. Excess oil consumption and damage to the Anti-pollution equipment. This occurred at about 60,000 miles. VW issued a Technical Note and the Repair was basically a complete engine replacement + DPF and various sensors.

Exactly what happened to mine, and the fix is indeed new engine, DPF and EGR cooler. Not sure if the bores went oval.

The new EGR cooler is designed to stop this from happening, as its the corrosion in the EGR cooler that leads to the issue, as the AL(OH)3 abrades the cylinder walls once it's made it's way into the bores and sits in the piston rings.

Useful. Thank you.

Unfortunately VWUK are no longer willing to contribute the the cost of the replacement engine.
A number of folk with this issue in the UK have been refused now.

BernrdRos was the last person to get his Cali partly paid for by VWUK, as far as I am aware.

My van is still drinking oil like a fish.

Alan

Unfortunately VWUK are no longer willing to contribute the the cost of the replacement engine.

BernrdRos was the last person to get his Cali partly paid for by VWUK, as far as I am aware.

Alan

Has anyone contacted VOSA, and should this issue be mentioned to Watchdog?

It's a manufacturing defect, and as usual VW are stiffing customers and keeping quiet.

I have contacted the Guardian Consumer Champions as have others, with no result so far. Watch Dog is also on the list, but they are also getting roof complaints now.

To be honest, we are so fed up with the van and VW we are seriously considering selling it for what we can get and buying a Fiat panel van conversion. Having been a dedicated VW owner for a number of years (10 different models at last count) I now don't think that VWUK care a toss about their customers.

Alan

Alan
AlanC....so you got nowhere with VW...what miles are you covering per litre of oil used ?

That's just terrible. From memory mine was using about a litre of oil every 350 miles, you will recall I had to get really pushy with VWCS in order to get the the new engine etc.

Have done about 5000 miles on new engine and not a drop of oil needed.

Back