Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Phew!!!! Oops!!!!B****r!!!! Hurray!!!

Purpose of this post is to highlight for anyone who ordered pre 2017 build change. As a result your build and certainly mine was put back into the system by someone, probably in Germany and not your dealer.
Don't make the assumption it was Germany. This happened to us 2 years ago. we'd ordered one of the baffling heater options for our Beach which at the model year change was dropped. The factory simply dropped the option and informed VW UK. The person at this end didn't deal with the change and it only came to light when I insisted on seeing the pdf of the build data when we had a build date. My understanding at the time was that ~20 of the orders which had crossed the model change date had been screwed up. I don't think the person responsible worked for VW much longer....

I found the name and email address of the person running VW commercial in the UK and suddenly had a lot of attention. Fortnightly calls from the executive team about the progress of our re-order, a van to use FOC until our re-order was delivered etc. etc. Bizarrely even though I found the issue through requesting the info on the build screen, the factory couldn't change the spec they had set up for our order even though it wasn't due to built for a few months. Hence the re-order.

I'd tell them that you'd like them to deliver your spec asap and that you'll be using the vehicle they've built until what you ordered is delivered.

Don't take any sh*t!!!

Don't make the assumption it was Germany. This happened to us 2 years ago. we'd ordered one of the baffling heater options for our Beach which at the model year change was dropped. The factory simply dropped the option and informed VW UK. The person at this end didn't deal with the change and it only came to light when I insisted on seeing the pdf of the build data when we had a build date. My understanding at the time was that ~20 of the orders which had crossed the model change date had been screwed up. I don't think the person responsible worked for VW much longer....

I found the name and email address of the person running VW commercial in the UK and suddenly had a lot of attention. Fortnightly calls from the executive team about the progress of our re-order, a van to use FOC until our re-order was delivered etc. etc. Bizarrely even though I found the issue through requesting the info on the build screen, the factory couldn't change the spec they had set up for our order even though it wasn't due to built for a few months. Hence the re-order.

I'd tell them that you'd like them to deliver your spec asap and that you'll be using the vehicle they've built until what you ordered is delivered.

Don't take any sh*t!!!
Agreed! All I know for certain is it was not my local dealer, communication is at an early stage which is why I said probably in Germany but could well turn out to be elsewhere.
You later point about using the vehicle they have built is also under discussion as are some other options which I will not go into yet.
Thanks for the considered post from someone who has had similar experience.
I believe I'm very fair but also will not as you say take any sh*t!!!
At present it is with my dealers manager and he is far from happy and I believe doing his best. Time will tell.
I will update with any useful information.

Mike

Look forward to hearing what happens Mike. Good luck.

What a shambles. Really sorry to hear that you're at the wrong end of it. How you get it sorted soon.

Commiserations. You've waited a long time. I'm sure you'll end up using this one until your spec vehicle is delivered, so you can play with it without worrying too much.

What a shambles. Really sorry to hear that you're at the wrong end of it. How you get it sorted soon.
Yep! Shambles about describes it. Fingers crossed. Thanks.

Mike

Commiserations. You've waited a long time. I'm sure you'll end up using this one until your spec vehicle is delivered, so you can play with it without worrying too much.
That is certainly one of the options I've suggested. I certainly need a solution. Getting the replacement built swiftly prior to tax change is a priority. I've got lots of stuff to put in it. As I've said before you will feel quite at home in my van

Mike

Realy bad news , hope you can get things solved soon .

Bad news.

Hope gets sorted. Though difficult to see how if CFO is v particular about options and detail. Maybe VW could let him drive current one until he gets his desired spec, and add monetary sweetener on it.

Gutted for you Mike. I can still recall you looking around our van at Lower Lode and excitedly sharing a conversation about spec and extras. Can't believe they got everything right apart from the drive system.

Chin up and I hope you have a happy ending.

Very sorry to read this Mike. The option of using the misbuilt van until a correct replacement is ready should, if it works for you, be possible as that is where we currently are to enable a fifth seat to be fitted (missing centre rail / 2wd). Best of luck getting things sorted out Mike.

Really sorry & disappointed for you Mike - you've researched & waited a long time for this.
As everyone else is saying, hope you can loan the mis-ordered van, to keep you going until this is all sorted out.

Best of luck.
Tom

I wonder if VW's "mechanism" for ensuring buyers don't get, what they have not agreed to pay for, is as robust as vice versa!

Having myself ordered a 150PS manual, 2WD recently.... I would expect my chances for receiving a free-upgrade, to 204PS, DSG or 4-Motion are somewhat less than what appears to be the probability of having a missing item, which was supposed to be included. Or, do mistakes this direction, go un-mentioned?

As VW group produce something like 18,000 vehicles per week-day..... I guess there's always going to be a small percentage of failures, in any system - Which due to volume, equates to a significant number.

The system failure in the California model, is obviously much exacerbated, due to the complexity of options and comparable low production volume and availability, with models such as the PoloGolf etc..... Plus, the hellish wait/build-time to add salt to the wound.

Your dealer should lend you a demonstrator or even your own wrongly specced van until a replacement can be delivered. We had a problem when it came to pick up our own and we were loaned their demonstrator for almost 4 months. Our dealer had a van in the system which was going to be their next demonstrator which we were allowed to spec and we had it much sooner than if we had started from scratch. Very sorry for you. Good luck

That is certainly one of the options I've suggested. I certainly need a solution. Getting the replacement built swiftly prior to tax change is a priority. I've got lots of stuff to put in it. As I've said before you will feel quite at home in my van

Mike
Mike
What a nightmare. Along with all the others reading your post, I feel really gutted for you. All the anticipation, and then ... Grr!
I hope you get to use the vehicle in the meantime - it would be shame to miss out on meeting folk at Lower Lode (and testing out the rest of the van and all your goodies, except the 4W Motion).
Alison

Your dealer should lend you a demonstrator or even your own wrongly specced van until a replacement can be delivered. We had a problem when it came to pick up our own and we were loaned their demonstrator for almost 4 months. Our dealer had a van in the system which was going to be their next demonstrator which we were allowed to spec and we had it much sooner than if we had started from scratch. Very sorry for you. Good luck
Thanks to all for the kind and considered comments.
The scenario you give @Biglad is the one I'm looking to achieve. I expect an answer by the end of the week at the latest.

Mike

Sorry to hear of your problems, must be so crap to get excited and then be let down.
Good luck getting your preferred solution.

Mike
I've just seen this, good grief!
I'm sure you will get it resolved but what a let down.

I look forward to seeing a good outcome for you.

f5117804821f9fde2f0a26d8a8c4de88.jpg

Firstly I have renamed this thread from
Phew!!!! Oops!!!!B****r!!!!
To:-
Phew!!!! Oops!!!!B****r!!!!Hurray!!!!!!!

Constructive communication has been going on during the week and this afternoon Jane and I had a meeting with VW Heritage in Bristol. During that meeting phone calls were made and a resolution to the problem was offered. The dealership were superb throughout and as a result I now have the original vehicle (Stanley Mk1) until such time as the replacement is built. As far as is possible this has been prioritised by switching my original build to a vehicle in the queue and being built as a demonstrator. In addition Stanley Mk2 when he arrives will have a nice Service deal and some Shiny sidebars compliments of VW.
My compliments go to VW Heritage in Bristol and VW UK for sorting out what was a simple input mistake.
Just stuck his leisure batteries on charge for the night and gone to recharge mine down the pub with a ruddy great steak and some ale

Mike

f5117804821f9fde2f0a26d8a8c4de88.jpg

Firstly I have renamed this thread from
Phew!!!! Oops!!!!B****r!!!!
To:-
Phew!!!! Oops!!!!B****r!!!!Hurray!!!!!!!

Constructive communication has been going on during the week and this afternoon Jane and I had a meeting with VW Heritage in Bristol. During that meeting phone calls were made and a resolution to the problem was offered. The dealership were superb throughout and as a result I now have the original vehicle (Stanley Mk1) until such time as the replacement is built. As far as is possible this has been prioritised by switching my original build to a vehicle in the queue and being built as a demonstrator. In addition Stanley Mk2 when he arrives will have a nice Service deal and some Shiny sidebars compliments of VW.
My compliments go to VW Heritage in Bristol and VW UK for sorting out what was a simple input mistake.
Just stuck his leisure batteries on charge for the night and gone to recharge mine down the pub with a ruddy great steak and some ale

Mike

Great result! Chuffed for you and what a beaut he is!

Excellent Mike. Are you back on track for the Lower Lode meet?

Back