Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rejigging cars

We have just ordered a California (its replacing my f57 mini) and we also have my wife’s 2019 polo and I have a classic 911 (993) which I have owned for the last ten years.

I seriously considered selling the 993 to purchase the Cali outright as I don’t use it as much since having kids but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it, it didn’t help that my eldest (five) broke down in tears when I said we might sell it and suggested just buying a tent if it meant the racing car had to go . At least it has 4 seats so is kind of practical!

We have just ordered a California (its replacing my f57 mini) and we also have my wife’s 2019 polo and I have a classic 911 (993) which I have owned for the last ten years.

I seriously considered selling the 993 to purchase the Cali outright as I don’t use it as much since having kids but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it, it didn’t help that my eldest (five) broke down in tears when I said we might sell it and suggested just buying a tent if it meant the racing car had to go . At least it has 4 seats so is kind of practical!

Don’t sell the 993...
You would definitely regret that.

That’s another option for us, looking at 991.2.
People say there’s room in the back for small ones.
Although they said the same about the 997, we looked.
It really didn’t ;)

Depends on the age of the kids as it’s actually easier when they get out of childseats but that said I have had a baby seat in the back of the 993 (Concorde ultimax) along with a booster seat (maxi cosi rodi xp) and a pram in the frunk without too many complaints. It’s deffo a squeeze but fine for days out. A 991 would be like an estate car in the back in comparison to a 993 I would guess, so should be fine!

My eldest loves it and has already tried to get first dibs on the car when I kick it! :D

8B3698A4-8ADA-4CA0-B0FD-066877A3374E.jpeg

I had a 997.2 for about 15 months a few years ago - I’m 6’7” and found that it worked fine as a 3 seater and my daughters fitted absolutely fine up to about 5’8 each one behind the other (snugly) with the passenger seat slid forward a fair bit.
However with my height fitting 4 adults in was done a few times but definitely not to be recommended....
Was the grey one on the left. Lovely machine and will be remembered for a long time

EE24E24B-7379-44D5-91F5-627583F3E66F.jpeg

My practical head says RS4 avant. The latest one is very good.

Loved Volkswagens of old, Vans, Beetles & Golfs etc. Like most progressed through some, but longed for Porsche cars with the exception of the SUV stuff
Just not my cup of tea...

I know from past posts over the years on the forum.
There are a lot of owners here with California’s and Porsche’s or California’s & Caterhams...
Great people ;)

Funny, I had a 964 prior to the lotus. Owned it for about 5 years. I do miss it from time to time as we had some great fun in it (driving to le mans etc) but it got driven so little it was a waste.
This is the first time I've been without a toy car, so not sure how long its going to last..

IMG_2547.JPG

Love the 964, I originally set out to buy one and ended up with the 993 as many of the 964’s I looked at needed too much work as people didn’t understand they were utterly brilliant back then and neglected them! Ironically I had several vx220’s and an exige before the 911, so know what you mean about liking to have a toy car around! As little as I use the 993 I just can’t bring myself to sell it, older 911’s are just so damm pretty!

B2762BD7-692C-4E0B-BCAB-47B0D9ABBC67.jpeg

02684C99-B12B-4F78-B287-35308218294A.jpeg

Lovely looking car. I toyed with a 993 when I bought mine - the heady days when you could pick up a classic 911 for sensible money!

Lovely looking car. I toyed with a 993 when I bought mine - the heady days when you could pick up a classic 911 for sensible money!

It’s bonkers a standard Carrera these days is north of £100k...
Plus, it’s too bloated compared to the older stuff. Actually prefer the modern Cayman. It’s similar in size to Porsche’s of old.

T4 Westy has now gone to a new home in France and Elise went earlier this year.. so finally in a position to buy and Cali prices seem to have gone up a load, or at least asking prices have due to covid I assume..

May end up waiting up until winter or new year, or possibly looking at conversions. If anyone has an early T5.1 140 manual they dont want the earth for give me a shout!

T4 Westy has now gone to a new home in France and Elise went earlier this year.. so finally in a position to buy and Cali prices seem to have gone up a load, or at least asking prices have due to covid I assume..

May end up waiting up until winter or new year, or possibly looking at conversions. If anyone has an early T5.1 140 manual they dont want the earth for give me a shout!
Yes it's a sellers market at the moment.

Bought a winter run-around to abuse.
Will stop the Cali getting trashed by mud and dogs.

Toyota Yaris 1.4 d
£30 Tax
£90 insurance
70mpg
OTR price... £720

It’s sh!t
Love it already.
View attachment 65788

We had one of those as a run-around. The kids learnt to drive in it. The au-pair drove it into a tree. It got abused for ten years but never broke down. What's not to like!

Yes and she told me, "I had no choice, I had to hit the tree or I would have hit the car coming towards me". We then explored the English driving concept of "brakes" (but apparently that doesn't seem to translate into Slovenian).

I’ve trusted an au pair helming a boat, but not sure that I would trust an au pair driving a car.

Hi did you end up with a van? There is not a lot of choice about; what age T5.1s were £30-33k earlier in the year when you were looking? Thanks

Recently sold the Cali and purchased a 6m PVC so needed a small second car to run kids to school .
Checked out the used market but purchased a new Suzuki Swift 5dr petrol hybrid on a pcp deal as it offered great value.
£1000 price reduction by Suzuki, a further £1000 reduction by dealer, 0% finance and £500 finance deposit by Suzuki finance.
With our deposit of £1500 the Swift costs £140 per month 3yrs 10,000 miles per yr.
To me that's cheap trouble free motoring. It's great fun to drive, practical with 5drs and so far averaged 54mpg mostly city driving.
Really impressed.

Hi did you end up with a van? There is not a lot of choice about; what age T5.1s were £30-33k earlier in the year when you were looking? Thanks
Hi, not yet. Cars sold apart from the bmw that is currently for sale. I had a deposit down on a 2011 180 but pulled out when the owner admitted it used a little oil. I'm on the lookout for a 140 van probably 2012 to 2016, ideally with climate, for nothing has come up. There are two 2012 140 currently in the classifieds, neither with climate, one at 37 and one at 35. Just too much money imo, so going to see how the market develops over winter and may just end up going for a new coast as much better value then paying approaching 40k for an eight year old van.

Recently sold the Cali and purchased a 6m PVC so needed a small second car to run kids to school .
Checked out the used market but purchased a new Suzuki Swift 5dr petrol hybrid on a pcp deal as it offered great value.
£1000 price reduction by Suzuki, a further £1000 reduction by dealer, 0% finance and £500 finance deposit by Suzuki finance.
With our deposit of £1500 the Swift costs £140 per month 3yrs 10,000 miles per yr.
To me that's cheap trouble free motoring. It's great fun to drive, practical with 5drs and so far averaged 54mpg mostly city driving.
Really impressed.

We bought a Skoda Citigo in July last year. ~£9,500 reduced to ~£7,500 with deposit contribution. Finance cancelled immediately after purchase by 0% credit card cash advance but 3% fee = £7,725 over 15 months.

We made the final £515 payment on Friday.

So far we have been really impressed with our Zoe. The range has proved more than adequate for our needs and its a proper nippy little thing. I've not yet sorted the cali, but I'm sure that the EV/cali combo will work well to answer my original post.

So far we have been really impressed with our Zoe. The range has proved more than adequate for our needs and its a proper nippy little thing. I've not yet sorted the cali, but I'm sure that the EV/cali combo will work well to answer my original post.
Went out with a Zoe for a while, I was always impressed by her range and thought for a while she was adequate. :bananadance2

:Iamsorry:offtopic

My father died recently and I now have his car in adition to our gorgeous Cali and Mrs B's trusty Skoda Superb Estate. The plan was to sell this 49000 mile, fifteen year old Skoda Fabia and add the cash to his estate. WBAC offered £1040 for it! However my step mother has said that she would prefer that we keep it as that's what my father would have wanted. So I've insured and taxed this 1.4 Tdi diesel and have been using it for school and tip runs, shopping and other errands etc. With dirt cheap insurance at £115 pa, VED at £125 pa and 60mpg what's not to like. I can park it out side the school where the yummy mummy's can throw open their car doors into it and I care not a jot. Yes our other two vehicles get even less use but as our previous Cali Beach was damaged to the tune of £600+ by someones little darling outside of said school then running this as a third car makes eminent financial sense to me. It will also be treated as a family pool car so if anyone has car problems it's here ready and waiting. It also means that I can now relax and have both eyes closed when waiting to pick up the grandkids.

Last edited:
Back