Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rejigging cars

Haves1979

Haves1979

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Thinking about rejigging our cars and wondering on peoples thoughts. Currently have a 2012 3 series tourer as the wifes daily, the 96 t4 westy I've been using as a 2nd car and an s1 Elise as a toy. The elise more of less never gets used, so debating chopping all 3 for a newer cali and leasing an electric golf or similar for local commuting. The cali being used as a 2nd car and for longer runs.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are and if anyone else has the electric car cali combo. There are also a few nice looking calis on ebay for between 20 and 30k, especially an edition 25 just need to shift 3 cars now!

Thinking about rejigging our cars and wondering on peoples thoughts. Currently have a 2012 3 series tourer as the wifes daily, the 96 t4 westy I've been using as a 2nd car and an s1 Elise as a toy. The elise more of less never gets used, so debating chopping all 3 for a newer cali and leasing an electric golf or similar for local commuting. The cali being used as a 2nd car and for longer runs.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are and if anyone else has the electric car cali combo. There are also a few nice looking calis on ebay for between 20 and 30k, especially an edition 25 just need to shift 3 cars now!
We went from a Toyota Landcruiser & Rav4 to a Cali & Yaris hybrid combination works well for us.

We have a diesel Volvo currently used as a station car and for long (normally airport) runs, does 14k miles a year. Also have an e-Golf for school runs and other run-of-mill trips...also does 14k miles pa.

Have an Ocean 6.1 on order to replace the Volvo. luckily won’t use it so much for the short trip to the station but definitely intend to use it for anything over 2hrs driving time (ie where the e-golf is compromised).

Cali might be a campervan, but in my view it doesn’t stop it being a useable daily driver too.

Spot on thanks. Out of interest any idea where is best to sell the t4, ebay possibly?

Ebay Classified & Facebook marketplace. Text is unlimited so you can give detailed description + detail the full history.

Went from Volvo XC60 and a 5 series estate to a cali and an old Saab 9-3 sportwagen for local trips, down to the beach and top runs. Cali is daily drives and works well for us.

Your westy should fly out advertising on here and eBay will sell it quick

Sounds like a good idea although I'm not sure about the EV leasing idea if it's being done purely for environmental reasons. There will probably be some who won't aggree with this but here goes anyway,

Looking at the bigger picture would it not be better to get the newer Cali but keep the 3 series tourer for as long as possible? It can't be worth that much now and anyway you probably own it outright. Unless you are going to scrap it you will effectively be passing it on to someone else and causing another car to be built with all of the environmental issues which that creates. I often wonder if the drive for the wider use of EVs is more to do with getting us to buy more cars at a time when cars sales are dropping than it is to cut pollution.

You may have to consider an EV if there are local inner city restrictions, in which case fine. Also your 3 series may now be starting to cost you a lot more to maintain in which case leasing is probably the way to go. There are still unanswered issues with both EVs and the associated charging network so beware of buying one for the time being at least.

Whatever you decide, good luck. :thumb

We have a Cali and BMW i3. Perfect combination. i3 for commuting and about town; Cali preserved for long journeys and camping trips.
I was looking at the i3 as an alternative family car to our existing diesel but I have been put off by the real world range of these especially when taking into account cold weather. My wifes work related travel is often around 70 - 100miles each way.
What is your experience of the real world range of the i3?

Hi, yes we own all three outright, so should mean we can own the cali but lease the ev. My wife works for the nhs - nhs fleet has some pretty decent deals. Not really a big lease deal fan but depreciation makes worthwhile. Decision is partially environmental but also fuel savings.

We have Amarillo and a Skoda Citigo which we bought in June this year.

Had it been a year later we may well have gone for the Citigoe iV. The longest trip we'd ever do in it is Greenwich to Emsworth, which at 90 miles nearly all on dual carriageway, should be well within its claimed range of 165 miles.

At £17,000 the e iV is about double the price of the petrol version we bought, so you'd need to be saving ~£8,500 in fuel over the life of the car for the electric version to be a no brainer, but that doesn't account for the warm feeling you may get from knowing that you aren't pumping all that CO2 and other pollutants up pedestrian and cyclists' noses.

We paid for our Citigo by a mixture of cash and 0% Credit Card cash transfer over 15 months with a 3% (£225) one off charge. I don't fully understand PCP, my best guess is that it is profitable for the carmaker because it ties customers into vassalage with one of the big car makers for decades and decades. (We bought on PCP for the vassalage discount, then escaped vassalage by cancelling a day or two later.)

The S1 Elise is an appreciating asset and even more so if its a 111S, 135 or 170S. Additionally, the running costs aren't that high I'd bin the 3 series and Westy. Granted the Westy will also appreciate in value but running costs will be higher surely? My splittie costs significantly more to run than my Elise or Exige [both series 1]

I was looking at the i3 as an alternative family car to our existing diesel but I have been put off by the real world range of these especially when taking into account cold weather. My wifes work related travel is often around 70 - 100miles each way.
What is your experience of the real world range of the i3?

We have a 2018 i3 with Range Extender (small petrol engine located under rear boot, which tops up the battery if it runs flat). Real world range is around 160 miles - 90 miles on battery plus 70 miles using Range Extender without refuelling.

If you can’t find a battery charger en route, you can then top up the Range Extender tank (only 7 litres petrol) and it will run another 70 miles for each tank of petrol.

The 2019 version of the i3 has a bigger battery (but no Range Extender option) and I think it’s Range is around 150 miles purely on battery.

It’s worth looking at charge points available on your usual routes to get an idea - ZapMap is a great resource for this.

Hope helpful.

We’re lucky enough to have a Cali Beach and a Tesla. The Cali is the daily driver for my missus as her work is only 4 miles from home.
Per mile the Tesla costs only a tenth of the Cali to fuel though they’re both great vehicles in their own right. A great combo.

We have an eGolf and Cali, which is almost perfect. Just need a bit more range on the eGolf, but the replacement from VW will sort that. Although the eGolf costs peanuts to run, if it had been a purely financial decision, it would have made more sense to buy a s/h cheap city car. However we were lucky enough to be able to afford an electric car and I have no regrets. Something that doesn't get mentioned a lot is that electric cars are fantastic to drive, so much so I prefer it to the Cali.

We have the Cali but as we live on the edge of London ULEZ we have a petrol Smart For Four as from 2021 I can’t even drive to the end of my road without paying the ULEZ. I often have to drive into London to fetch my daughter so I looked at a petrol city car or electric. I have a drive so charging wasn’t a problem but the range issue was. I wanted the option to drive it to the ferry for France but none of them really had the range. I could have bought my car 2+ times over. If prices come down / range extends I may be tempted. No congestion charge / no car tax on the Smart For Four and can easily fit 3 18 yr olds in. Also considered buying a T6 but uplift in cost was not justified!

We are lucky enough to have a Cali and a Nissan Leaf (easy 120 mile range). Ditto Stephen Watson, the Leaf is a joy to drive. A perfect combination. Expensive, yes, but great fuel savings and clean air around us.

Diesel all the way for me I drive 30k+ and my wife drives 20k+ we keep our cars for 10 years and our Cali is for pleasure. Currently driving a Citroen DS which does 65-70 miles to the gallon on a run and my wife's Audi 50+ depending if she has the roof down. Unfortunately electric doesn't offer us the range we need, but if it works for you good luck.

Have all of you EV owners factored in depreciation when comparing to your Calis?
I did Borris. As I said in my post if it had been a financial decision I wouldn't have bought an EV. I expected my eGolf to plummet like a stone, but in fact residuals aren't too bad at the moment. Having said that once the ID arrives I'm sure it will. Usually I keep my vehicles for 10 years plus, so it's not really an issue. With EVs though the ID will have a much better range, so may be tempted. The price of being green or an early adopter unfortunately.

Bit of a an update on this. We've gone for a lease option on a new Renault Zoe, costs work out well and looks really smart in GT Line spec - suggested 250 range.

Elise sold more or less immediately, so just need to shift the Westy and hoping to be in the market for a T5 SE soon. T5.1 prices seem solid, lots around 30-33k, interested to know if they are selling at the top end of that scale. Hoping as a cash buyer will give me a little room for manoever.. !

Cheers

I have a BMW i3 REX and a Cali.
My i3 is 2015, so pretty meagre range - winter perhaps 60-65, summer maybe 10 miles better.
I wouldn't consider anything other than a REX in the i3 if I am being honest - it removes all range anxiety, and I have found the network of available and working chargers to be abysmal.
I have read a few reviews of the Kia e-Nero and the Hyundai e-Kona, and they seem to be pretty impressive in relation to spec, range and performance.

@Haves1979 We have similar dilemma with cars.
Have the Cali which is our daily and a 2012 Porsche Cayman as our second fun/car.
We bought the Porky in 2014 before having a child, and with it only having two seats its hardly used. 5000 miles a year, against 14 000 roughly on the Cali.
The difficulty is letting it go, especially with everything going electric. It might be something we regret. Ive tried loads of other cars, but nothing is satisfying my Petrolhead needs.

Thought about a third car, but would we still be in a position where the little Porky doesn't really get used. Im not a fan of vehicles sitting around.
Would rather drive them, otherwise what's the point in owning these things...?

Back