Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

UK - RIP Coast, hello 6.1 Beach?

C

Chapmac

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi - so after many months (years) of thinking about it my T25 is up for sale and I am (was) very close to pressing the button on a new Coast. Been messing around with the configurator over the last few weeks. Went in again this morning to discover that there was no option for the Coast.

I sent a message via the live chat service and got a reply straight away. I was told that....

'the two trims are now Ocean and Beach. The Coast is no longer in production'.

I then asked when the Beach would be available and was told that it was available to order now.

Funny - as I spoke to our local VW Van centre yesterday afternoon (Breeze in Poole who should know what they were talking about) and they didn't mention this at all when I had a discussion with them regarding the Coast. They were telling me that they had no 6.1 stock or demonstrators as the factory has shut during the Spring due to COVID and they were catching up on customer orders. They were expecting new stock towards at the end of August. Perhaps this is very new news.

I know Ireland are now getting the Beach so maybe the UK is following suit. I know this will please many out there if true, although slightly gutted for myself, looks like it might be bak to the drawing board for a used T6 Ocean.

Hope useful.

Quick someone, tell @Borris.
May I ask why?

If it's true, it's wonderful news for all prospective Beach buyers. However, it would make absolutely no difference to me. My decision to buy another T6 Beach when I did, was made just prior to the end of T6 Beach production (because I knew that was imminent) and before VW UK announced their strategy not to import the T6-1 Beach to the UK. I ordered then because I didn't and still don't like the so called upgrades that VW had introduced on the T6-1 and also to avoid any possible import tax that would have been a distinct possibility if we had left the EU without a deal at the end of October 2019. I have no intentions of replacing our current Beach for the foreseeable future. We haven't even had the chance to sleep in it yet!

Whilst the two versions of the T6-1 Beach do have some advantages over the T6, for me at least, having two sliders or a mini built in stove don't represent major improvements. I don't cook in the van and having only one slider has never been a problem. Also the amusement arcade instruments and contemporary dash design is a retrograde step IMO. Very much a case of "if it aint broke don't fix it".

Last edited:
May I ask why?

If it's true, it's wonderful news for all prospective Beach buyers. However, it would make absolutely no difference to me. My decision to buy another T6 Beach when I did, was made prior to the end of T6 Beach production (because I knew that was imminent) and before VW UK announced their strategy not to import the T6-1 Beach to the UK. I ordered then because I didn't and still don't like the so called upgrades that VW had introduced on the T6-1 and also to avoid any possible import tax that would have been a distinct possibility if we had left the EU without a deal at the end of October 2019. I have no intentions of replacing our current Beach for the foreseeable future. We haven't even had the chance to sleep in it yet!

Whilst the two versions of the T6-1 Beach do have some advantages over the T6, for me at least, having two sliders or a mini built in stove don't represent major improvements. I don't cook in the van and having only one slider has never been a problem. Also the amusement arcade instruments and contemporary dash design is a retrograde step IMO. Very much a case of "if it aint broke don't fix it".
I know, but, if true, you'll now be able to advise new owners. :thumb

I’m off to my dealer tomorrow, so need to ask a few questions before potentially making an order... this news has thrown a curved ball...

Wonder if this will impact existing coast orders! Still waiting for an up date on my order. It was supposed to be week 16 then week 25.

Mmmmm..... Will people with Coast orders cancel in favour of a Beach and will the Coast become a collectors item in years to come as there are so few of them? What will the VED be on the Coast? Time for speculation and the opportunity to ponder until VW get the website sorted.

oh man I hope this isn’t true. Just had an order confirmed yesterday for a coast ‍♂️♂️♂️

I doubt people with coast orders will cancel for a beach the beach is a totally different animal
Beach people will want a van without the kitchen
A coast isn’t that it’s more of an ocean

I wonder if all three Beach variants will be available.
Twin sliders
Double bench + storage
Micro kitchen

I consider the coast to be a great compromise. It has the essentials of the ocean without the faff (I actually think a manual roof is better - I may be wrong). And it’s quite a lot cheaper.

only an Ocean on the configurator yesterday and no coast when I was looking

They still might be honouring orders for the VW Coast even if its not on the configurator (if indeed they have stopped it for UK market). My order was only confirmed with VW at the beginning of this week (the day before the Coast went down off the configurator) but my dealer has confirmed today that i have a production week of week 37.

I’ve just been told by VW that the coast is staying and the configurator is temporarily down for an update...

I’ve just been told by VW that the coast is staying and the configurator is temporarily down for an update...
Surely this can’t be true, that would mean that VW Chat had previously given incorrect / miss leading information.

So two different parts of the the same company coming up with two completely different answers, and the dealer certainly didn't know anything about the change. I guess we'll just have to wait for the 'big reveal' when they update the website to see what VW are going to do!

down for an update?

another price increase perhaps?!

and just to add to the confusion, I have just looked at the VW website and is says: -

Summary
Base price£ 64,117
(Includes VED)£ 1,850
Sub Total£ 64,117

So are new vans back to £1,850?

Back