Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What dream car would you choose on retirement (other than a Cali naturally)

How bizarre. I’ve never made that link before!!
A good pal has two of those BL nightmares quietly rotting in his barn. Probs best they stay there!

Be fair, the Wedgie was a halfway decent tarmac rally car. Not that that could ever excuse those tartan interiors.

I have 3 versions of retirement
Porsche
MX5
Polo
I can live with a Polo if I can put my feet up. But an MX5 would be lovely having owned two before. View attachment 69583
Could I tow an MX5 behind the Cali I wonder?

MX5 ND2 is a fab car, I can’t think of selling it even though after buying the Cali it’s an excess vehicle!
Very usable and you can trash it a bit without going silly speeds. Perfect for uk roads !
Just lower its suspensions...

Last edited:
Blast you Mr Slater you made me do it. Just requested paperwork this morning to get a GR Yaris on order. So much easier than buying a Cali, only a couple of options and colours. I'm having the track pack (LSDs etc). Delivery late March.
:cheers
Excellent. Well jealous!

Excellent. Well jealous!

Well I'd been looking at the press about them (the GR Yaris) earlier this year and then John Slater's post on here shook me out of my Lockdown 2 torpor and I thought I'd better get one ordered.

Ironically the Toyota 2021 season WRC Rally1 car which the GR was intended to homologate will never see the light of day now (due to covid and the announced WRC switch to hybrids from 2022) so the GR will be one-of-a-kind.

I have had in the past 2 bays,2 T4’s, aT5,Campers ,l now have a T6 Cali , Audi TT roadster (red) 2 classic motorcycles and a Vespa , i’m retired and enjoying myself

Two cars have to be in the running,both will cost about the same ,best small car Porsche Cayman,much much better than the 911,i have had both,but the best car i have had by a country mile is the Bentley Continental GT,plenty of choice in ten year old cars.

As I advance in years and near the time when I can retire I like to think about the car I would treat myself to when I do take my pension.

At the moment the Cali is my everyday and only vehicle. So I would like something for fun. I would still keep the Cali.

Given that I share the same good taste in recreational vehicles ie a Cali I thought it interesting to see what fellow petrol head forum members would choose and why?

My top 3
V8 f type convertible pre face lift
911 992 carrera s convertible
Morgan plus six or four

At the moment- having done a factory tour and various test drive days I confess I’m leaning towards one of the new Morgan’s- why because they are so involving and essentially basic to drive (but oh the f type what looks).

What retirement car “”treat”” would you choose for let’s say under 100k and why?
Sold my 911 to buy the California but do miss driving it and the feel good factor when doing so

Well I'd been looking at the press about them (the GR Yaris) earlier this year and then John Slater's post on here shook me out of my Lockdown 2 torpor and I thought I'd better get one ordered.

Ironically the Toyota 2021 season WRC Rally1 car which the GR was intended to homologate will never see the light of day now (due to covid and the announced WRC switch to hybrids from 2022) so the GR will be one-of-a-kind.
Great choice, I'd be with you, really miss my S160 Elise that I Honda'd, heel and toe, trail breaking and smashing all the big Euro tracks, makes the Cali feel like death warmed up.

I'm in a Golf R atm but definitely tempted by the GR too because the DSG does my head in.

250 GTO Fezza or something from the Koenigsegg stable while I've still got the grey matter to punt something ridiculous around.

Anything chauffeur driven and looking forward, autonomously driven...
Get in, set the controls ( for the heart of the sun) and sit back with a good book...
Not for me, I still love driving after more than 50 years and hate the idea of being driven by a person or a robot.

I have to confess to having more vehicles than space - California Ocean a keeper, VW T2 bay Viking a keeper, 2007 Maserati Quattroporte auto a keeper then two mercs; an ‘08 E-class 220 going and an ‘03 A-class which will be staying for supermarket and local runs. Love the VWs for their different offering and the Maserati is just a joy!

76C48092-6003-4206-A8F1-45007E0CF626.jpeg

BFFB812C-CC6C-4090-9C0D-04CB23ADEBF9.jpeg

I've been retired for too many years, so I probably can't contribute about what my ideal car will be! But one 'retirement' car isn't enough! I'm with Borris and look at the older classics for that additional joy. My Porsche Macan Turbo had to go to fund the Cali! Mind you I still have the 1997 Porsche 993, a couple of Lagondas and a Bristol. So, I guess I shouldn't complain!! :oops:;)

Scrapped the car, kept the Cali, spent the savings on 3 years university for our 2 daughters... That would have bought a very nice new car, or 2 new California’s but when they graduate in 1 ½ years they will at least debt free in a changed world recovering from pandemic and the economic fallout.
Well done that man!!!

I have to confess to having more vehicles than space - California Ocean a keeper, VW T2 bay Viking a keeper, 2007 Maserati Quattroporte auto a keeper then two mercs; an ‘08 E-class 220 going and an ‘03 A-class which will be staying for supermarket and local runs. Love the VWs for their different offering and the Maserati is just a joy!

View attachment 69699

View attachment 69700

I used to have a Viking!...great conversion.

I've been retired for too many years, so I probably can't contribute about what my ideal car will be! But one 'retirement' car isn't enough! I'm with Borris and look at the older classics for that additional joy. My Porsche Macan Turbo had to go to fund the Cali! Mind you I still have the 1997 Porsche 993, a couple of Lagondas and a Bristol. So, I guess I shouldn't complain!! :oops:;)

More on the Lagondas and the Bristols please. And pics.

By the time I come to retire I probably won’t be allowed to drive my dream cars. They will probably all be common electric chassis with a different body on top.
So I’m making up for it now. My current garage
The Yaris GR I collect in 2 weeks
Then a 718 Spyder which is pretty much all the car you need
The Land Rover defender is my daily/work car
The mustang is a project car D64285C9-2871-475C-8FE9-E5782FB07EFF.jpeg7C95DA8C-9BF9-4023-AC6F-741D366F71BB.jpeg120F69E6-EBEC-4146-98F4-6868BF674249.jpeg315A0488-2CC1-4E2F-908D-66F7B8B9256A.jpeg

Then I’m just finalising my spec for the Cali and will order this month, then whilst we are talking about dream cars, I have the purple one on order to come for my birthday next year. E2F7397A-6355-4DDE-AE40-119CA8773272.jpeg
F09BE6B0-E20D-489F-89B4-765BEA37C038.jpeg

then I have a landcruiser 80 series and patriot camper x1 gt for a couple of overland trips I’m planning.
DFCA7BAF-3A0D-4793-8243-DAD914783B74.jpeg

More on the Lagondas and the Bristols please. And pics.
My first Lagonda was a 1934 Rapier, an Abbot Tourer which my son and I used to rally. This is a picture of a very wet car on Arran a couple of years agoView attachment 69722

IMG_1270.jpeg

The Bristol is a 1955 Bristol 404. It is a beautiful piece of engineering and art!
IMG_0668.jpeg.

But the real star is Bruce, a 1936 Lagonda LG45 Drop Head Coupe I reimported from Australia over 10 years ago.DSC_0054.jpegMonk Fryston  Hall 15 May 10.jpeg

Oops! I nearly forgot Tippy our 1930 Austin 7 Tourer - and some wizened old chap beside her!IMG_0070.jpeg

Well, I may as well put up the photo of the 993 too, I guess!!DSC_0053.jpeg

Back