Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What MPG are you getting?

S

sc52

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi,

I'm considering buying a new Cali, but can't make my mind up re engine / gearbox.

My heart says 180 DSG 4motion.....
....but my head says 140 manual....

I'd be interested to see what mpg folk are getting.

Thanks

Search the forum,there are several threads on this subjective subject.

Sent from my SM-G900F

Search the forum,there are several threads on this subjective subject.

Sent from my SM-G900F

Thanks for your reply.

I was aiming the question at new owners to see whether they were surprised/shocked by the consumption they were getting and what they thought of it.

What do you get Andy?

Thanks

180 DSG with a lot of journeys in Milton Keynes average of 23 mpg. 6 miles each way to work with 11 roundabouts all on dual carriageway. 3500 miles in Europe average of 35. All depends so much on type of journey &how you drive.

Sent from my SM-G900F

180 DSG with a lot of journeys in Milton Keynes average of 23 mpg. 6 miles each way to work with 11 roundabouts all on dual carriageway. 3500 miles in Europe average of 35. All depends so much on type of journey &how you drive.

Sent from my SM-G900F

Thanks Andy,

Given the weight and aerodynamics of the cali, 35 mpg when touring is more that acceptable.

I'll probably be going for a 180 DSG myself, but as you say best to check the other threads on this.

Cheers

Simon

Hi,

I'm considering buying a new Cali, but can't make my mind up re engine / gearbox.

Thanks
I would go for the super slick DSG if you can afford it, it is a joy to drive and modern autos are at least as efficient, if not better than manual. On long M'way/Autobahn journeys with my 180 DSG I get low 30's MPG at a steady 70 but high 30's if I can bring myself to cruise at around 60. At 80MPH + when driving to Austria it drops to high/mid 20MPG - still pretty good in my view (and it leaves all those motorhomes & caravans for dust!)
One hidden benefit of DSG ( to help your head based decision) is that when you come to swivel the driver seat and the van is on a slope or its chocks, in "P" it will not roll when ( as you must ) you release the handbrake. I have had several owners of manuals ask how I overcome this problem, since you can't use the footbrake or handbrake whilst swivelling the driver seat.
Hope this helps your decision.

Dont worry about MPG just get out and enjoy your Cali :)

I would go for the super slick DSG if you can afford it, it is a joy to drive and modern autos are at least as efficient, if not better than manual. On long M'way/Autobahn journeys with my 180 DSG I get low 30's MPG at a steady 70 but high 30's if I can bring myself to cruise at around 60. At 80MPH + when driving to Austria it drops to high/mid 20MPG - still pretty good in my view (and it leaves all those motorhomes & caravans for dust!)
One hidden benefit of DSG ( to help your head based decision) is that when you come to swivel the driver seat and the van is on a slope or its chocks, in "P" it will not roll when ( as you must ) you release the handbrake. I have had several owners of manuals ask how I overcome this problem, since you can't use the footbrake or handbrake whilst swivelling the driver seat.

Thanks,

Very helpful.

It's reassuring to know that at 80 the 180 cali can still achieve mid to high 20's. That's much better than my old (petrol) volvo 940! Once did a whole tank between Paris and Calais...... ok ok so it may have been at a couple of miles an hour faster, into a gale, smothered in box and 5 bikes and sloshing full of wine...

Question for me now is to 4motion or not...

Simon

My 180 DSG 4-motion is nearly new. On a recent journey of about 250 miles to Cornwall I did 30mpg going there towing a large trailer at 55mph or so, and 33mpg coming back without the trailer.
I expect to be averaging about 5,000 miles/year so the fuel cost saving of a 140 manual vs 180DSG 4-motion would be about ÂŁ250/year I guess. I don't feel this is a significant factor as the overall cost of owning my Cali is maybe ÂŁ6k/year.

Sent from my SM-G900F

I would agree with Andy. My use and mpg is much the same as his, and, as all consumption figures are, very dependent on your own driving style.

Alan

Hi,

Thanks

It's been reported that it's no longer possible to order a new T5 California

My 180 DSG 4-motion is nearly new. On a recent journey of about 250 miles to Cornwall I did 30mpg going there towing a large trailer at 55mph or so, and 33mpg coming back without the trailer.
I expect to be averaging about 5,000 miles/year so the fuel cost saving of a 140 manual vs 180DSG 4-motion would be about ÂŁ250/year I guess. I don't feel this is a significant factor as the overall cost of owning my Cali is maybe ÂŁ6k/year.

Thanks,
Well put, and of course the extra cost would be even less when comparing a 180 4motion to a 180.
Simon

Over 7500 miles from new our 140 manual SE has averaged 36.6 mpg with a mix of trips away, work and around town.I think that's good for a 3 ton brick shaped vehicle.

It's been reported that it's no longer possible to order a new T5 California

So I thought as well, but vw head office have told me otherwise....I'm about to find out if they are correct.....
Simon

Over 7500 miles from new our 140 manual SE has averaged 36.6 mpg with a mix of trips away, work and around town.I think that's good for a 3 ton brick shaped vehicle.

That's very good, especially as you say for such a large heavy vehicle.
Simon

I would agree with Andy. My use and mpg is much the same as his, and, as all consumption figures are, very dependent on your own driving style.

Alan

Thanks Alan.
I'll try and be a good boy.....:D

I've just been to France and back average 34.5mpg.

A bit less coming back due to the extra weight. I went to my favourite wine merchants to stock up on burgundy :D

Just picking up on this aspect... our DSG does roll a little on chocks when releasing the handbrake.

With a manual gearbox just put it into gear then release the handbrake to swivel the seat.

Wow this has been a busy thread!

We have just changed from a 140 SE manual to a 180 DSG 4motion SE. It might seem sad, but we have always kept a record of our fuel consumption of various vans over the years (it does bring back memories of places we've been :)); and for what its worth here are some figures (all brim to brim).

2014 180 DSG 4motion 28mpg over 750 miles so far
2010 140 SE best 38, worst 30 over about 20000 miles; average about 35

NB: The computer is a bit optimistic on the new van, it says 31mpg. The earlier van was pretty accurate.

It's early days, but it's obvious there will be a penalty for the extra power, DSG box & 4wd; you have to decide if it's worth it for yourself.

I really don't get this MPG thing.........I'm driving on a motorway doing 60/65 for approx 1 hr 30 minutes, average MPG gone up to 42/44 MPG on the display board :shocked

Our new 180 4Motion has now done nearly 3000 miles since Jan 3rd when we picked it up.
Overall mpg is around 30 and this includes trip to the Pyrenees, flying up and down the autoroutes, snow in the mountains and our trip to the Lakes a couple of weekends ago over the Hardnott Pass in snow and general pottering about here in the Peak District.
As mentioned, it all depends on where you go and how fast so there are no fixed rules for mpg.
This is our eighth VW group diesel engine and we have found they are not truly run in until at least 15-20k miles on the clock.
TBH I've given up bothering about it, if you use it then it needs feeding so why worry about it. It's woth keeping a rough check though as a drop could indicate a problem.
Also found it's about 2/3mpg worse in winter, colder weather and winter tyres which aren't as efficient as the normal ones.

Back