Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What MPG are you getting?

Thank you everybody for your replies - very informative.
I have decided to go for a 180 DSG 4motion.
Can't wait!!!

You will not be disappointed. You now have 3 variations on the DSG, Drive, Sport and Manual mode.
But until the engine is run in, at least 10,000 miles, then you will not see the mpg this engine is capable of. Just enjoy.

You will not be disappointed. You now have 3 variations on the DSG, Drive, Sport and Manual mode.
But until the engine is run in, at least 10,000 miles, then you will not see the mpg this engine is capable of. Just enjoy.

Thanks WelshGas,
Off topic - was your towbar factory or retro fitted?
Simon

Hi sc52, factory fitted as I use a Altera towbar bike rack when required. If you are of two minds as to whether to have a Towbar fitted then consider the Towbar Prep. Means all the wiring is in place so it is a much simpler job if you change your mind. Fitting the VW towbar from scratch is much more complicated.:thumb

Hi,

I'm considering buying a new Cali, but can't make my mind up re engine / gearbox.

My heart says 180 DSG 4motion.....
....but my head says 140 manual....

I'd be interested to see what mpg folk are getting.

Thanks

Just on a road trip around Britain, I have just achieved 760 miles out of a full tank. Mostly motorway driving. Pretty impressed with that.

my remapped 140 beach is now 188bhp and returning 44mpg on a run

Just on a road trip around Britain, I have just achieved 760 miles out of a full tank. Mostly motorway driving. Pretty impressed with that.

Good grief! The surprise is that you managed 750 miles without losing complete sanity due to roadworks or potholes:shocked

T6 owners should remember that most of us only have the 70l tank not the 80l enjoyed on the T5 (in the quote) and optional on the T6.

Blimey. That’s even better than VW claim.

44 mph is the optimum speed, around 1200 rpm 7th gear DSG. What's the rush?

The HGVs must love you.

My own personal opinion, but if you are travelling that slow on a Motorway then that is at least inconsiderate if not dangerous to other road users.

That speed is more commiserate with travel on A and B roads.

Yes - I found that in Sicily ~70 KPH, and I managed a recording of 18.1 Km/L (51.41 MPG) on the MFD over a 638 Km trip. A brim to brim measurement suggested 16.43 Km/L (46.41 MPG).
IMG_0867.JPG IMG_0869.JPG IMG_0870 (1).JPG IMG_0871 (1).JPG IMG_0872 (1).JPG IMG_0874.JPGIMG_0876.JPG

Last edited:
The HGVs must love you.

My own personal opinion, but if you are travelling that slow on a Motorway then that is at least inconsiderate if not dangerous to other road users.

On a motorway generally around 50, I wonder what the stats are of
The HGVs must love you.

why is it inconsiderate and dangerous?

Why do you think it is either inconsiderate or dangerous to minimise fuel consumption while driving within speed limits?

If I understand this chart correctly:
capacity (2).jpg
The optimum speed to maximise motorway traffic capacity lies somewhere between 60 and 80 KPH. So not only does driving at ~44 MPH reduce fuel consumption but it also allows more people to use our roads.

On a motorway generally around 50, I wonder what the stats are of

why is it inconsiderate and dangerous?
Because the HGVs cruise at 56mph so will be constantly pulling out to overtake.

Why do you think it is either inconsiderate or dangerous to minimise fuel consumption while driving within speed limits?

View attachment 38033
The optimum speed to maximise motorway traffic capacity lies somewhere between 60 and 80 KPH. So not only does driving at ~44 MPH reduce fuel consumption but it also allows more people to use our roads.

I couldn't of put it better myself. Also so much safer, I wonder what the stats are of people being killed driving at 70+ or 50-?

If you drive at less than the speed of the HGVs and then try to claim it's responsible, then you you should tootle along (at 44mph) to the doctors for a check-up.
We all have to get along. Causing that amount of disruption to save a couple of £ in a £60k van marks you out as a very special type of person.

If you drive at less than the speed of the HGVs and then try to claim it's responsible, then you you should tootle along (at 44mph) to the doctors for a check-up.
We all have to get along. Causing that amount of disruption to save a couple of £ in a £60k van marks you out as a very special type of person.

Because the HGVs cruise at 56mph so will be constantly pulling out to overtake.
Hgvs are always pulling out to overtake. 1 more isn't going to make much difference.

I have to stick my oar in here as an ex. trucker.
Trucks are limited to 56 by law and the nature of the haulage business is delivery slots and deadlines. This means they are pedal to the metal all day. Watch container lorries pull out and then indicate! They are trying to make a living.
Coming across a vehicle doing 50 (44!!) is a right pain, It means having to get past it, at 56, which will pee off the following cars esp. on a dual carriageway. More often than not the offending mobile road blocker will accelerate as to thwart the overtake only to slow again when the lorry has retreated. A game played out over and over.
Don't get me going on the ***** who join motorways and head for and stay in the middle lane at 50...............
Bugger the fuel economy. If you want to cruise and look over the hedges then go on A roads or, and please, pretty please, tuck in with the lorries and go at 56...................

Now, when the certain distribution chain I drove for with a transport manager hoping to stay on the slippery pole had all the fleet restricted to 52 we became mobile road blocks ourselves.
We were constantly being overtaken by other trucks and the best response was to go at 50 and slow down a bit when being passed by the 'bigger boys'.
I am surprised it was even legal to restrict them like that.
Bring on google drive I say and all be driven at optimum speed for conditions in a road 'train''
Now in my Cali I can put all that (and you) behind me.........Still scarred though!!
Trains? Whatever happened to them??
:cheers

View attachment 38033
I think that chart is referring to congestion, so when there is high traffic density, speed is reduced increasing journey time. When there are less vehicles on the road average speed can increase due to less congestion.

Last edited:
Back