Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Average mpg

A ten pound note burns just a quickly as a fifty.
I would say the 50 burns quicker cos the 10ers have a bit
of plastic in them these days, so it would be a slow burn,
smouldering, not good for the environment burning tenners. :)

Why people keep quoting Memory 1 mpg figures I just don't understand. Unless you are comparing the same journey each time then they are completely meaningless
Memory no 2 is used when I fill up every time to get an idea of MPG between fill ups and check sometimes if i fill to the brim and compare with last fill up to the brim to see accuracy of computer and usually find not much in it, then reset memory 2.
If BIG change in consumption, something is not looking good.

I don't understand this obsession with mpg. When you buy a 70K vehicle, add 2 or 3K worth of sidebars, bike racks, pillar stickers and what-have-you, and then drive barely 10K miles per year with it, what difference does a few more or less mpg make to you holiday budget? I've just made a 4000 km roundtrip to Portugal and I don't remember how often I've filled up - 4 times, 5 times? I really don't care - I had fun!
I think we do have fun (we do) but if you suddenly started filling up sooner than expected,would'nt you wonder if anything is right? (nothing like a damaged fuel line ) or pipes coming off fuel filter !
That's why i check my consumption and yes i seen/been there with fuel problems after over 40 years of driving !
Best be safe than sorry !

I think we do have fun (we do) but if you suddenly started filling up sooner than expected,would'nt you wonder if anything is right? (nothing like a damaged fuel line ) or pipes coming off fuel filter !
That's why i check my consumption and yes i seen/been there with fuel problems after over 40 years of driving !
Best be safe than sorry !
I do exactly the same as you do. memory 1 at every fill up until the nozzle clicks off..Memory 2 gives me an average over the whole year. you ain’t going to change my habits either, I’ve been doing it for 50 years and not going to change now. Not to check the fuel consumption is a serious error. This has Nothing to do with “Cost” but more to do with if the vehicle is performing the way it should...I can afford it but I don’t fill my vehicles in a motorway services I don’t see any reason to just throw money down the drain...This bit is down to “Cost”..

I do exactly the same as you do. memory 1 at every fill up until the nozzle clicks off..Memory 2 gives me an average over the whole year. you ain’t going to change my habits either, I’ve been doing it for 50 years and not going to change now. Not to check the fuel consumption is a serious error. This has Nothing to do with “Cost” but more to do with if the vehicle is performing the way it should...I can afford it but I don’t fill my vehicles in a motorway services I don’t see any reason to just throw money down the drain...This bit is down to “Cost”..
Thought memory 1 reset every time the engine stopped for 2ish hours, so you are only seeing the consumption for trip, not the tank?
I use no 1 for interest on a trip, no2 for tank to tank variation and a little note 'book' (on my phone) for watching the tank variations... Which was useful with my T6 after the vw "upgrade".

My petrol 204 TSi long term average on the MFD is 28 mpg with mixed driving at Scandinavian speeds through all sorts of terrain and conditions. This is after around 35000 miles. So not too bad really.

Almost everything else about my van is brilliant:
No AddBlu
No Cam belt
No DPF
No Hovercraft Mode
No wheel Spin
Allowed into Bristol free of charge
More Torque than a 150 TDi

It does seem to eat rear tyres though. I get heavy wear on the inside edge, they last about 10000 miles. Tracking and tyre pressures checked and told the camber is not adjustable.

My petrol 204 TSi long term average on the MFD is 28 mpg with mixed driving at Scandinavian speeds through all sorts of terrain and conditions. This is after around 35000 miles. So not too bad really.

No AddBlu
No Cam belt
No DPF
No Hovercraft Mode
No wheel Spin

It does seem to eat rear tyres though. I get heavy wear on the inside edge, they last about 10000 miles. Tracking and tyre pressures checked and told the camber is not adjustable.
This is excellent considering the test figures give an average of 21 mpg..VW factory average is 30 mpg which is always pie in the sky..

This is excellent considering the test figures give an average of 21 mpg..VW factory average is 30 mpg which is always pie in the sky..
I rounded up, and I don’t rush around, but I am pretty happy with it. I carry a lot of weight, 20 litres of spare water and a full tank whenever possible, 25 litres of spare fuel, two spare tyres, a bike, a generator, 255 wide tyres, camping equipment etc.

492414B6-D815-477A-8BCE-294D9B8126DD.jpeg

I've never got used to computer calculated consumption in modern vehicles. I carry a small hard back notebook in the glove box and at every fill I note the mileage and fill quantity, filling to nozzle shut off. This is something I have done since pre-history, but it gives an accurate assessment of m.p.g. I haven't started with my Cali yet because it hasn't had a fill yet in my ownership!

My long term average using brim to brim measurements and the odometer is 33.76 mpg.

Recorded over 53,990 Km, 4594 litres of diesel.

I average 956 Km per tank.

03619c6981a11ef514cbd37c6f9ec5c4.jpg

My MFD consistently underestimates fuel consumption by 5 to 10%.

I lost about 5mpg during a period of having a faulty EGR.

No AddBlu
No Cam belt
No DPF
No Hovercraft Mode
No wheel Spin

Rear is adjustable with this kit, need patience getting setup.

Front and rear can be set correctly

On my trip from Essex to Surrey and back, we averaged 47.8mpg.

Granted, we stuck at 60mpg and we werent battling traffic - it was incredibly exciting (I need a social life) to see.

On my trip from Essex to Surrey and back, we averaged 47.8mpg.

Granted, we stuck at 60mpg and we werent battling traffic - it was incredibly exciting (I need a social life) to see.
I managed 51.4 mpg shown by the MFD on a long drive in Sicily, with an empty van and the higher tyre pressure.
IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

However, a brim to brim measurement on the same trip gave an MPG of 46.4 suggesting the MFD underestimates fuel consumption by about 10%.

1593327864230.png
My route averaging 46 mpg, about 2/3 motorway and dual carriageway, the remainder on quieter single carriageway roads including a mountain section up to about 2000 feet. Mixed weather including torrential downpours.

No AddBlu
No Cam belt
No DPF
No Hovercraft Mode
No wheel Spin

Following a change of tyres to Michelin cross climates all round I have seen a fairly significant improvement in long term average fuel economy, up from 28mpg to 32mpg.

3F39EB8D-E04E-48A4-A197-60A7E6D4731D.jpeg

No AddBlu
No Cam belt
No DPF
No Hovercraft Mode
No wheel Spin

Who said the camber is not adjustable ? had mine 4 wheel tracked by VW dealer
( Hereford) ! also if you research about it you will find there is a kit available too!

Who said the camber is not adjustable ? had mine 4 wheel tracked by VW dealer
( Hereford) ! also if you research about it you will find there is a kit available too!
It was at VW Hereford. There is no OEM camber adjustment on the rear wheels I was told.

Toe in and toe out. The arms dont appear to have chamber and nowt in the Workshop manual

How do you get long-term MPG on MFD?
Ignition. ON.
On MFD, top R a number 1.
Press OK button to change 1 to 2.
Average MPG that resets after 20,000 miles.

Y
Ignition. ON.
On MFD, top R a number 1.
Press OK button to change 1 to 2.
Average MPG that resets after 20,000 miles.
WelshGas,
Your font of knowledge on all things California is so useful to members, I think you're going to have to get aT6.1, to enable you to update your knowledge of the new ops systems.

Y

WelshGas,
Your font of knowledge on all things California is so useful to members, I think you're going to have to get aT6.1, to enable you to update your knowledge of the new ops systems.
I would have at the end of the year, but C19 has meant the Van still has a few miles to go and at least another trip to Knordkapp. Maybe I’ll wait for the T7.:thumb

Back