Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Factory Extended Warranty

I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't take up this deal, especially as far as I know you can pass it on to another person should you decide to sell the Cali (although there maybe a small admin fee)

I'm on the look out for a 2nd hand T6 Ocean, and if one comes with an extra 2 years warranty it's SO much more desirable, certainly I'd pay a premium over the £329 cost!!

I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't take up this deal, especially as far as I know you can pass it on to another person should you decide to sell the Cali (although there maybe a small admin fee)

I'm on the look out for a 2nd hand T6 Ocean, and if one comes with an extra 2 years warranty it's SO much more desirable, certainly I'd pay a premium over the £329 cost!!

When we asked about extended warranty when we bought our Ocean last month the dealer told us we couldn’t do it until the van was 3 years old. Is this right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we asked about extended warranty when we bought our Ocean last month the dealer told us we couldn’t do it until the van was 3 years old. Is this right?

No! That’s not the factory warranty.

I’d recommend calling them up and taking it out as it has to be in the first 3 months.

This warranty is exactly the same as the factory warranty. The one after 3 years is not the same product and won’t cover kitchen etc.

As @reserves your dealer is WRONG

You can do it if you buy the bus new and it is less than 3 months old, But you have to wait until the 3 years is up then extend if the bus is more than 3 months old

You can do it if you buy the bus new and it is less than 3 months old, But you have to wait until the 3 years is up then extend if the bus is more than 3 months old

Again, these are NOT the same warranty, they cannot be compared.

See https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en/service-accessories/warranties/extended-warranty.html for VW info on the two types of extended warranty.

"Factory extended warranty" is for 2 extra years up to 80K miles or 150K miles depending on how much you pay. I think this is a no-brainer, but it's only available to buy when the vehicle is under three months old and VW are very strict about this. In many cases that will mean it's not available on ex-demo vehicles.

Plain "Extended warranty" is an insurance product, available when your standard 3-year warranty expires. It has many exclusions and may or may not be good value for money.

Yes you can only buy the factory extended when new (mine was a demo so no option), I am yet to be offered any other products by my dealer. Maybe they won't...

I believe you could buy an extra 2 yrs warranty for just under £400 BUT it had to be purchased within 90 days of vehicle registration. I'm not sure if it was related to VW Finance or not.

In New Zealand a 3 year extended warranty costs NZ$1,895 (includes GST (VAT) at 15%).
Has to be taken out within 6 months of purchase and 10,000km.

12 years?
I thought only T5s only had a good will extension of the warranty to 6 years, specifically for the roof problem.

I thought that but would make an interesting legal case for us T6 owners - VW accept build fault on T5 and aggree 6 year warranty but not offer the same cover for same fault on T6. I am sure VW will be offering "good will" through the courts.

Last edited:
Wish I had this when my EGR valve went at just under 4 years and 55k. Cost me circa £1500

12 years?
I thought only T5s only had a good will extension of the warranty to 6 years, specifically for the roof problem.
Yes 12 years I have had it confirmed in an email from VW.

Is that just perforation though?
From the VW van website:

"Your vehicle warranty covers any manufacturing defect in paintwork, starting from the date of registration, for a total of three years."

"Your new vehicle is manufactured with full protection against rust attacking the internal cavities and will be covered for 12 years [...] Providing that [...] The perforation has not been caused originally by damage neglect, insufficient care or maintenance or by external rusting." (My elisions and emphasis).

I'm pretty sure that the warranty intends to cover the T5 roof type of problem for only three years. The twelve year warranty covers the (galvanised?) bodywork against perforation.

None of this means that you wouldn't have a claim under the Consumer Rights Act (which, thanks to the EU, beefs up the old Sale of Goods Act), but that would only be for up to six years.

Yes 12 years I have had it confirmed in an email from VW.
Thats good if the VW email makes it clear that they are covering the roof corrosion defect, that is the paint bubbling due to the alloy roof corrosion but if they are quoting the generic VW paint warranty then it doesn't. I don't think anyone has been able to use the 12 year paint warranty to get their roof fixed.
I hope you are right and I'm wrong!

Thats good if the VW email makes it clear that they are covering the roof corrosion defect, that is the paint bubbling due to the alloy roof corrosion but if they are quoting the generic VW paint warranty then it doesn't. I don't think anyone has been able to use the 12 year paint warranty to get their roof fixed.
I hope you are right and I'm wrong!
I asked that question and he confirmed that it does cover the roof.

I asked that question and he confirmed that it does cover the roof.
Quote on the email...
Although this particular issue should not affect your California, if the roof on your vehicle experienced any corrosion which was found to be a manufacturing defect and not caused by external influences; this repair would be covered under warranty by our approved Van Centre network.

Quote on the email...
Although this particular issue should not affect your California, if the roof on your vehicle experienced any corrosion which was found to be a manufacturing defect and not caused by external influences; this repair would be covered under warranty by our approved Van Centre network.
Keep that email safe! I hope you never need it!

Back