Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When will campsites reopen ?

I've just bought a bog ....

Well, I'm on the local committee that has arranged to take over a public loo that the council were closing.

They wanted to continue the cleaning of it and offered us a contract. WE declined the offer.

The ex-publicly owned public convenience, now privately owned for the convenience of the public, is cleaned twice as often now for half the cost.

Last edited:
Hopefully Borris will announce campsites canopen on 4th July in his Tuesday update.
Dropping to 1m I think makes it more likely - but I do think you will need your own toilet and shower at least initially.:rolleyes:

Hopefully Borris will announce campsites canopen on 4th July in his Tuesday update.
Dropping to 1m I think makes it more likely - but I do think you will need your own toilet and shower at least initially.:rolleyes:

Why would you need a shower? Desirable maybe, but by no means essential.

I agree but campsites so far for early July are asking for a self contained shower with its own grey water container. :thumb

Why would you need a shower? Desirable maybe, but by no means essential.
[/QUOTE

I agree but campsites so far for early July are asking for a self contained shower with its own grey water container. :thumb
Some of the Camping in the Forest sites don’t have any facilities, all they ever ask (and sometimes check) is that you have a toilet, whatever you arrive in... tent, van or caravan. I would hope the CCC & CMC adopt the same approach. We use a bucket and flannels for a wash down then pour the grey water down the sink. If needs be we empty the waste tank on site otherwise at home.

Some of the Camping in the Forest sites don’t have any facilities, all they ever ask (and sometimes check) is that you have a toilet, whatever you arrive in... tent, van or caravan. I would hope the CCC & CMC adopt the same approach. We use a bucket and flannels for a wash down then pour the grey water down the sink. If needs be we empty the waste tank on site otherwise at home.
Not just in response your post (so sorry, not picking on you at all Arun Alc!) but also to others who tirelessly bang on about needing a toilet etc...
CMC have said they intend to open toilets and showers at most sites.....I’ve not seen anything new to the contrary....why the consistent and persistent ‘oh yes you must have a toilet’ proclamation....you’re starting to sound like Frankie Howard in Up Pompeii “ woe , woe and thrice woe”

I like to think I’m reasonably laid back but.....this quite frankly is doing my ‘ead in!
Right I’m finished now.......
:headbang

Not just in response your post (so sorry, not picking on you at all Arun Alc!) but also to others who tirelessly bang on about needing a toilet etc...
CMC have said they intend to open toilets and showers at most sites.....I’ve not seen anything new to the contrary....why the consistent and persistent ‘oh yes you must have a toilet’ proclamation....you’re starting to sound like Frankie Howard in Up Pompeii “ woe , woe and thrice woe”

I like to think I’m reasonably laid back but.....this quite frankly is doing my ‘ead in!
Who's Frankie Howard?;)

Haha, I know right. It’s like a re-run of the great loo roll panic of March.

Freuds Anal Stage
Freud emphasized a person’s control over defecating as the pleasure center from 18 months to 3 years old

If this virus has taught us anything, it’s that when faced with panic and anxiety people’s first thought is...will I still be able to have a sh!t

Last edited:

Maybe I wasn’t clear in my reply to @gvick. I was giving an example of the normal situation at Camping in the Forest sites that don’t have facilities , that is that whilst they insist that you have a loo, they are not bothered about showers. I hope that any other sites be they independent, CCC or CMC adopt the same approach IF they aren’t opening their facilities as @gvick reported.

I’ve booked a couple of nights in Scarborough in July with the C&CC. There is a promo code GRASSUK30 that gives 30% off for grass pitches (no electric). Two nights at circa £45 seem good value for the four of us. This site hopes to have all toilet and shower facilities open.

We'd purchased a Thetford 335 and toilet tent just in case a while back but will decide when we get there if we’ll bother. It is reassuring with kids to have the choice.

We’ve also got a Eurotunnel crossing booked at the end of July... the big question is if we take a toilet tent and portapotti to France (assuming quarantine is lifted), will we be the biggest joke in the campsite? I don’t recall ever seeing a toilet tent on the continent... but then I wouldn’t have been looking

From the BBC this morning...

It's thought people will be allowed to go to second homes in this country too, through tourist sites in England with shared facilities - such as campsites - will remain closed for a little longer.

From the BBC this morning...

It's thought people will be allowed to go to second homes in this country too, through tourist sites in England with shared facilities - such as campsites - will remain closed for a little longer.

Surely the same dangers lurk in pub and restaurant washrooms, or are they remaining closed too?

I’ve booked a couple of nights in Scarborough in July with the C&CC. There is a promo code GRASSUK30 that gives 30% off for grass pitches (no electric). Two nights at circa £45 seem good value for the four of us. This site hopes to have all toilet and shower facilities open.

We'd purchased a Thetford 335 and toilet tent just in case a while back but will decide when we get there if we’ll bother. It is reassuring with kids to have the choice.

We’ve also got a Eurotunnel crossing booked at the end of July... the big question is if we take a toilet tent and portapotti to France (assuming quarantine is lifted), will we be the biggest joke in the campsite? I don’t recall ever seeing a toilet tent on the continent... but then I wouldn’t have been looking
We always take ours abroad. Like to pitch up away from the central amenities.

Keeping campsite toilet facilities closed is the correct decision especially going in to peak summer season where social distancing will be impossible ( we all know what toilet blocks are like at 9am on a busy site) and I can't see campsite owners paying staff to just stand outside the toilet block allowing one in and one out all day long