Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

AT tyres for 4Motion

BTW, most of T5 Calis havs 16" wheels and suitable breaks with no funeral plan required
Thats because only the 180 T5 and now the T6 204 have the larger brakes and hence restricted to 17" or larger wheels.
Those two engine sizes have larger disks for a reason, heavier engine and higher speed.
If your Spanish ITV allows someone to replace the manufacturers brakes for smaller discs and other components then there must be more to it as the braking efficiency would be reduced for that particular model and if that is true, and allowed, then something is very, very wrong.

Last edited:
Thats because only the 180 T5 and now the T6 204 have the larger brakes and hence restricted to 17" or larger wheels.
In the UK that would be correct, but it's (also?) 4MOTION not 180hp that makes for the larger brakes, a combi which is not available in the UK. I have a 140hp 4MOTION Beach and have the larger brakes.
Replacing brakes is very risky IMO, that's one battle the insurance company will definitely win if something goes wrong. Not to talk about VW warranty.

Last edited:
Those two engine sizes have larger wheels for a reason, heavier engine and higher speed.
If your Spanish ITV allows someone to replace the manufacturers brakes for smaller discs and other components then there must be more to it as the braking efficiency would be reduced for that particular model and if that is true, and allowed, then something is very, very wrong.

In Uk market that's true, but mine is 140 Cali Beach 4Motion which you cannot buy in UK. Those guys also have a 140 Beach 4Motion.

You can pass tge ITV providing your modificationnhas been approved by a certified engineer, who as you can imagine is some one with the knowledge and skills to tell shether the changs is safe.

That process is not easy and it's very picky.... I'vd seen a lot of vehicles in UK which couldn't pass this ITV process.

As an example have a look to the following images in the link, they are "Tarjetas de insoección técnica", with are the V5 equivalent document in Spain. As you can see, there are several tyre sizes in each one. You can only wear exactly thise sizes, I mean, the ℅ rule is not valid in Spain. If you wear something not included in this document you are ilegal.

Any change have to get an engineer seal of aproval and pass the ITV. For example, you cannot fit a different suspension, or ANY thing which change the high of the vehicle, or retrofit thibg like a trainler hinch without pass the process.

You cannot remove or add a seat without pass the process. Or install a fixed forniture (kitchen pod) or any permanent change without pass the process.

It's some thing similar to the German TUV, but more restricted.... If I'm not wrong, when you fit anything TUV compliance that's enought to lass the TUV.

In Spain nothing is ITV compliance by default, you always need a certificate made by an accredited engineers to by able to oass the ITV (wich have to be passed inmediately when a change hapens).

What I mean is that here that kind of changes usually are made with some enginerring work supporting them (providing you want to be legal) and the most influencing reason of that is safety.

I wish we had that system in the UK, I like the "if its good for the test, then its good for the insurance" that would certainly remove the vagary of insurance etc.

Putting it all together, my choice will be the Michelin Latitude Cross 235/55R17 as mentioned earlier in this topic. A standard size, no legal issues, correct load rating. A good compromise, though not a real off-road tyre.

Unless something better comes out by the time I need them (Iceland in august 17)

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
There are pros and cons in this systems. The inssurance companies here have nothing to say in changes providing you're legal.

This system alse prevent brats from make anything in theit vehicles wich could be a risk for others.

In the other hand, sometimes ITV are too much picky... for example, I know cases in wich for a reason I don't undertand, in the V5 equivalent they got "red shock absorber", and after change them by ones if a different brand and color, but perfectly suitable, they didn't pass the ITV because the color discrepancy and hi had to get a new certificate from a engineer to be able to remove the color restriction. That's not the usual, but sometines happens.

Putting it all together, my choice will be the Michelin Latitude Cross 235/55R17 as mentioned earlier in this topic. A standard size, no legal issues, correct load rating. A good compromise, though not a real off-road tyre.

Unless something better comes out by the time I need them (Iceland in august 17)
that's is a good option. The only cons I find is that they are directiinals, so the spare will work in one side but not the other.

A solution could be leave the spare with tge OEM one to be used only in case of need.

There are a number of Touareg users who have gone for these and reports are very good.

Thanks Loz, that's good to know.. any pointers where I can read about these Touareg users' experiences?

There are a number of Touareg users who have gone for these and reports are very good.
There are also Cali users who have gone for these and took them to Iceland (as Zeratul intends to do) and reported them very good ... On this very forum !

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Thanks all, I'll go for the Latitude Cross.
As my normal summer tyres aren't worn out yet, I was planning on getting some steel wheels. But then I realised I still have these 17 inch alloys from my BMW X3 's Winter tyre set (they are worn out, won't order new ones as the car will be replaced in 1 year), which has 7,5 J x 17 225/60 R 17 H
These alloys http://www.bmw.be/nl/topics/overzicht/accessories/accessoryDetail.accessoryId=5091.html

So they are 7.5J x 17
Would they fit on the Cali? How to find out, what to look for? Is there a weight rating for alloys?

And the Weight Rating. 103 or more.

Just because they look big enough, have the correct offset to clear the brakes and suspension and fit the hub, if they are too low a weight rating then they are a danger to you and other road users.

Thanks all, I'll go for the Latitude Cross.
As my normal summer tyres aren't worn out yet, I was planning on getting some steel wheels. But then I realised I still have these 17 inch alloys from my BMW X3 's Winter tyre set (they are worn out, won't order new ones as the car will be replaced in 1 year), which has 7,5 J x 17 225/60 R 17 H
These alloys http://www.bmw.be/nl/topics/overzicht/accessories/accessoryDetail.accessoryId=5091.html

So they are 7.5J x 17
Would they fit on the Cali? How to find out, what to look for? Is there a weight rating for alloys?
There should be a weight marking on the inside of the Alloy wheels, xxxkgs.
T6 Front axle is rated at 1610kgs which requires wheels with a minimum rating of 805kgs each. More than that is sensible. Less is dangerous & illegal.
I would tend to think the X3 wheels are not up to spec, X5 ones possibly are. I couldn't find any data.
Wheel & tyre ratings are two separate factors.

1 additional spec difference I've found is that the wheel bore centres are different. Wheels these days centre on the hub and if not a match the wheels centre on the studs, potentially giving balancing problems. The term Hubcentric is used to describe this.
BMW 72.6, VW t5/6 65.1. This can be rectified by purchasing 'Wheel Spigot Rings' which come in various sizes, you'd need 72.6 outer with 65.1 inner diameters.
Going by info. I've found no personal access to wheels to check.

Last edited:
Interesting.... I'm even more baffled now.
I was looking to buy a second set of wheels for my T5 California 180 Auto 4motion.
With M&S tyres for the winter.
I'm at present running on Dunlop SP1's 235/55/17.
I fancy slightly bigger wall if possible .. So my choice is 215/60/17 .. Is that correct?

I was looking to buy a second set of wheels for my T5 California 180 Auto 4motion.
I fancy slightly bigger wall if possible .. So my choice is 215/60/17 .. Is that correct?
Not quite correct, by going narrower with you will have 60% of the width,
215x60%=129mm. 235x55%=129.25mm. The sidewall is virtually the same on both tyres.

To get a higher side wall you would have to down to 16" wheel with a 205/70/16 tyre or 235/60/16 to keep your gearing within 0.4%.

Not sure if your brakes would allow 16" fitment but 16" would be a cheaper winter alternative than 17"

Easier to pick up a second hand set as well.

225/60/17 would be the only close 17" tyre that could be used, 0.7% speed error and 0.4" more outer tyre diameter.. Side wall would be 135mm giving 6mm more sidewall height than 235/55/17.
There are winter tyres available in that size.

Last edited:
Common misconception.
The 60 in 215/60/17 is a percentage of tyre width.

The only cons I find [about Latitude Cross] is that they are directiinals, so the spare will work in one side but not the other.
That is not correct. They are not directional. They are a-symmetrical, that is correct, they have a different outside and inside, but that is something different from directional.
If your spare is fitted correctly on the wheel, i.e. with the outside out, than you can use that spare both left and right. Says someone who has done so... :cool:

We use the Latitude Cross in our summer off-road adventures. We have done a few thousand kilometres on them now, including our Icelandic Highland trip this summer, and we have never had any issues with them, no flats at all (knock on wood), no extreme wear (on the contrary!), and they are really much better in normal road conditions than the BFG's we had before. They are very good AT's. Seikel offer them in their Cruiser Package (235/65/R17 108 H) not without reason. They are a good choice, don't worry.

Last edited:
Not quite correct, by going narrower with you will have 60% of the width,
215x60%=129mm. 235x55%=129.25mm. The sidewall is virtually the same on both tyres.

To get a higher side wall you would have to down to 16" wheel with a 205/70/16 tyre or 235/60/16 to keep your gearing within 0.4%.

Not sure if your brakes would allow 16" fitment but 16" would be a cheaper winter alternative than 17"

Easier to pick up a second hand set as well.

225/60/17 would be the only close 17" tyre that could be used, 0.7% speed error and 0.4" more outer tyre diameter.. Side wall would be 135mm giving 6mm more sidewall height than 235/55/17.
There are winter tyres available in that size.
Thanks BJG ..
I will go for the 225/60/17 in future (slightly bigger wheel diameter) I've noticed the speed on my speedometer is always slightly higher than it reads on my satnav. This should make them both closer in line with each other's read out.

Doy.

Thanks BJG ..
I will go for the 225/60/17 in future (slightly bigger wheel diameter) I've noticed the speed on my speedometer is always slightly higher than it reads on my satnav. This should make them both closer in line with each other's read out.

Doy.
Just remember to reprogram your brain. That bit of speed over the limit on your speedo reading which is OK now won't be.

Back