Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California dream is over for now.....cancelling order

As others have said - (speaking as a historical car-swapper addict)....

Keep trucking with the Cali @PhilR . Worst case, you get it, realise it was a pipedream that you loved the idea of, and sell it on at a profit.

Best case, you love it and dont look back.

We had a M140i before the Cali, and the 340 and 540 were both contenders. The 340 was too 'wanna-be-estate' to be worth it, and the 540 just contained sod all standard gear without costly optional extras.

Yes, they have far more modern infotainment and gadetry - but it's a car; and with performance that's unecessary in an estate. The backseats have standard leg room, and it gets from A to B.

The Cali on the other hand gives you absolutely anything a vehicle could, whether it be a mobile office, mobile hotel or luberous workhorse for the home and family. Best of all, the cracking residuals meaning you cant make a mistake with it.

The only question here is your patience, to be fair. If that's gone, then fine. But if you hold out, i'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. You could almost certainly say that losing patience and going for the 340 will cost you a metric tonne more dosh than holding out for the (more expensive) Cali.

Clearly, the itch for the BMW has become bigger than the one for the Cali. Regardless of the economics involved, it appears that said itch has to be scratched. Or is there more to this decision?
There is more to it to be fair. The BMW was always going to be the next car until we started on the Cali dream. Certain factors which I’m not going to go into here have altered our circumstances somewhat, making the camper option less attractive at this moment in time for us. The delay fiasco has just swayed our decision.

That’s a sensible purchase & somewhat different to dumping £52k on run of the mill reps car.
I don’t think an M340i is a run of the mill reps car to be fair! I think that other than in the Cali World most folk would say dumping £75k on a van was not sensible! Horses for courses...

All the best Phil.

Enjoy the new car, its a cracker! Always loved a 3 series touring. :thumbup

i'm missing something here. ok so the bmw was less but i think a cali is a bit different to a bmw. in many many ways. if you want a car you buy a car. if you want a camper you buy a camper ?
Yep, there’s a lot more to it but don’t want to write my life story here! They are completely different absolutely. Sorry to have confused anyone. I just wanted to let people know how frustrated we became with VW’s lack of information. That finished it for us. A great product let down by poor service? We ordered in early September, no sign of a confirmed build date yet. Not good enough VW.

This is exactly what I was thinking all the way through reading this thread. I can understand the frustration, absolutely, but... to me this sort of sounds like:

'the pizza delivery guy is late, so I decided to get sneakers instead.'

But the positive thing is, you seemed to have doubts after renting and in the end opting out of buying a cali is probably the right choice for you. Us Cali-addicts really don't want to hear that but that doesn't make it the wrong choice for you. And that beamer looks really really nice. :)
But this does go on.

In quite the reverse, my heart set on a new M3, a boyhood dream in fact. After a couple of weekends with a new loaner i was smitten and close to signing and the boom, the next minute Im a Cali owner. It just made more sense.

All the best Phil.

Enjoy the new car, its a cracker! Always loved a 3 series touring. :thumbup
Thanks mate. There seems to be a lot of anti BMW stuff on here, but having owned a couple over the years, I know they are well built and have had nothing but great customer service from them. Yes it will possibly work out more costly over the ownership period, but who knows what the camper van or diesel market will do? It’s not just about the money either. We tried kidding ourselves that a camper was right for us when reality and our current circumstances dictate otherwise. So a decent estate is a better option. Yes I could get a more sensible estate, but to soften the blow I’m thinking ”stuff it - if I’m not having the Cali I’m having something very nice”

Yep, there’s a lot more to it but don’t want to write my life story here! They are completely different absolutely. Sorry to have confused anyone. I just wanted to let people know how frustrated we became with VW’s lack of information. That finished it for us. A great product let down by poor service? We ordered in early September, no sign of a confirmed build date yet. Not good enough VW.
Stick with it. You wont regret it. It's just nothing like buying a BMW.

But this does go on.

In quite the reverse, my heart set on a new M3, a boyhood dream in fact. After a couple of weekends with a new loaner i was smitten and close to signing and the boom, the next minute Im a Cali owner. It just made more sense.

The novelty soon wears off..
I’ve had a couple of tasty loan cars over the last few years.
Great to begin with. After 3 weeks, it’s just another A-B luggage mover.
With the volume of traffic and the spread of cameras. It’s hard to enjoy these vehicles, like you once could...

Buy a new T6.1 high spec van and get it converted to your specification by a really good converter with a minimum 3 year warranty on van and conversion. A really good conversion by a VW approved converter (Autohaus amoung others) will hold up as well as a Cali - ours has on the basis of the offers I have had.
To Philr. If you are interested in this option give Tony a call at Autohaus in Minehead. Have a look at their designs on their website all of which can be tailored to meet your requirements. Also consider Jerba, Danbury, Bilbo and I am sure there are others but make sure you pick a VW approved converter and you want a minimum 3 year warranty on the conversion and a full VW warranty if you go for a new van. They can also convert a Caravelle which gives a more California driving cab but you pay more for a Caravelle and then much of the passenger area you paid for is removed.

I don’t think an M340i is a run of the mill reps car to be fair! I think that other than in the Cali World most folk would say dumping £75k on a van was not sensible! Horses for courses...
I do - Ive had a 3 series touring, its a small estate car with a tiny boot, that looks just like a 320. Diesel. It was the fastest depreciating car I’ve ever had. A Cali on the other hand if you were spending £75k you probably haven’t done your homework & got the best deal. If you had you could of had near depreciation free motoring for years.
Just have a look at autotrader 5 year old BMWs for 10%-15% of original price, calis at the moment nearer 100%

I can’t think of anything you can do in the bmw that you can’t do in a Cali, but plenty you can do in a Cali that you can’t in a bmw

If you really want a Cali there are new ones available out there.

Sadly, after all the planning and excitement, the frustrations have finally took their toll and we are cancelling our order. If you read my first post on this forum you'll know we had reservations about purchasing a Cali after a 2 day hire. But we stuck with our dream and brushed aside concerns over 6.1 issues, VW customer service and the delays. However we've had enough of the uncertainty and the real possibility of being without a car for a few weeks or months even, so after a real good talk about it we are going to go for an estate car again. A very nice one at that, as cancelling a Cali order gives you some nice options! We're hopefully going to go for a BMW M340i. Fully specced (but with no bed or kitchen!) and with discount it is about £52k, so way less. More importantly there are NO (or none I can think of) compromises, unlike there is with the Cali. BMW have also told me today that they have confirmed factory build slots allocated in March.
We will take out a 3 year PCP and maybe when that ends we will reconsider the Campervan dream.

Hopefully we should get back our deposit . I've purchased a VW number plate, so that is a wasted £400. Anyone want VW21 PMR :)

Thanks for all the fabulous advice and information on these forums. I don't think I'll be participating very much from now on, but I may be back in just over 3 years time.

Finally, fingers crossed for all of you waiting on a factory order. Hopefully you can see it out. Our company car goes back at the end of April and we need a big car for the dogs. I made VW aware of this issue but they haven't offered any kind of solution sadly, so we couldn't take the chance. We could try and get a used one, but the value is poor at the moment.

Thanks again,
Phil
Very sorry to hear that Phil. I must admit I’m considering the same although already have a car, it is the bed that I need. Good luck with your Beamer.

Your money, your choice. Good luck @PhilR

I set my expectations very very low on this purchase, but VW are testing the bottom of my threshold at present!

The way I see it is this:

£75k you haven’t spent and skin in the game for 6 months? At the Sep 20 price.

Or

£75k on the drive that you can’t really play with, that’s ever-so-slightly depreciating and weathering?

If the circumstances allow (high demand and low personal desire for a Cali) - there is potential to flip your order for a profit?

Hell, i’ve even thought about placing my second choice lower spec more economic choice to flip another!

But the truth is, I don’t fully understand the risks or have the balls - at present.

We know from the volume of orders in the factory that these vehicles are in very high demand and restrictions on foreign travel look set to stay for 2021.

Interesting, challenging and stressful times!

Good luck with your new BMW. Cracking cars to drive.
We are all Cali enthusiasts but it’s your choice, so enjoy it - life’s too short.

A Cali on the other hand if you were spending £75k you probably haven’t done your homework & got the best deal. If you had you could of had near depreciation free motoring for years.
Just have a look at autotrader 5 year old BMWs for 10%-15% of original price, calis at the moment nearer 100%
I definitely did my homework, lots of it! Sorry, the £75k is the purchase price of £68k + other bits to make it how we want it (to look and use) - leather seats, spoiler, side bars, Towbar, lowering springs, carpets, isotop, and a few other “essentials”.
I’ve thought about keeping it simple and not adding stuff, but as I’ve said before it’s not just about the money.
I’ll admit to being a bit unsure about all this. It’s not an easy decision and I think I’ll sleep on it a few more times before actually cancelling. I’m always going to get a high percentage saying to stick with it on here of course! I appreciate the thoughts, I really do, so thanks all.
Willwander - I’m sorry I still haven’t gone just yet!!! :)

I definitely did my homework, lots of it! Sorry, the £75k is the purchase price of £68k + other bits to make it how we want it (to look and use) - leather seats, spoiler, side bars, Towbar, lowering springs, carpets, isotop, and a few other “essentials”.
I’ve thought about keeping it simple and not adding stuff, but as I’ve said before it’s not just about the money.
I’ll admit to being a bit unsure about all this. It’s not an easy decision and I think I’ll sleep on it a few more times before actually cancelling. I’m always going to get a high percentage saying to stick with it on here of course! I appreciate the thoughts, I really do, so thanks all.
Willwander - I’m sorry I still haven’t gone just yet!!! :)
A suggestion, surely you have a £500 REFUNDABLE deposit with the VW dealer. Order your BMW but leave the deposit on the van. If you change your mind on the van in a few months you can cancel at that point and the VW dealer will refund you without question.

I put 2 deposits on nearly new vans before ordering new. Both dealers refunded without question. The point is you don't need to cancel your van order today/tomorrow. I don't know what discount you achieved on the van but by the time it turns up you might be able to make a few thousand pounds even if you don't want it. :thumb

Just trying to help, not pursuade you to change your mind.

We for one have come from BMWs, taken the hit and now look back and think.....hmmmm. Where the Wife would drive a 6 series convertible to work she is now happy driving an Toyota CHR hybrid. (But she does like my 16year old V8 Disco 3)

The Cali for us was a change. One dog was becoming infirm and it gave us more flexibility. Too be honest we dont know why we didnt buy one sooner. That said the Cali is one of 4 vehicles we own so we have options an bit like footware.

A suggestion, surely you have a £500 REFUNDABLE deposit with the VW dealer. Order your BMW but leave the deposit on the van. If you change your mind on the van in a few months you can cancel at that point and the VW dealer will refund you without question.

I put 2 deposits on nearly new vans before ordering new. Both dealers refunded without question. The point is you don't need to cancel your van order today/tomorrow. I don't know what discount you achieved on the van but by the time it turns up you might be able to make a few thousand pounds even if you don't want it. :thumb
Now that sounds a good idea! Yes it was a £500 deposit. Cheers

Just trying to help, not pursuade you to change your mind.

We for one have come from BMWs, taken the hit and now look back and think.....hmmmm. Where the Wife would drive a 6 series convertible to work she is now happy driving an Toyota CHR hybrid. (But she does like my 16year old V8 Disco 3)

The Cali for us was a change. One dog was becoming infirm and it gave us more flexibility. Too be honest we dont know why we didnt buy one sooner. That said the Cali is one of 4 vehicles we own so we have options an bit like footware.
Thanks mate. I’ll always listen to a fellow roadie ;-)

So many similarities to my own BMW/Cali dilema! I bought a 3 Series touring nearly 6 years ago and love everything about it and the whole BMW 'experience'...except the cost of ownership. Depreciation alone is £300 month just sitting on my drive. Each run-flat tyre works out at about £250 and thanks to pothole damage I've got through 7 of those in 53k miles - not one wore out - hit a pothole, get sidewall bulge, tyre now illegal. Give me normal tyres and a spare any day.

Despite all the costs, I'd always intended to just get another until I started thinking a) what I actually use the car for today and b) what I want to do in the future.

Answer to a) is easy - hardly anything as I'll now be working from home even after we're through this Covid stuff. Unlikely to be even driving for work-related things like I used to as I think Zoom video conferences are here to stay.

Answer for b) is basically all the things I can't easily do with the BMW - mobile office, spur of the moment trips away, adventures with the grandkids. Most importantly a reason to get off my backside and see more of this country while age and health allow.

I ordered a 199 4Motion in early November. Still no build date, zero communication from the dealer, good chance of not getting it in time for the summer. But...I'm hanging on. When I eventually get it, my plan is to hold on to the BMW for a month or two while I try the Cali. If I change my mind about the Cali I can probably sell it without losing too much - might even make a small profit! If I decide the Cali is a keeper, then the BMW goes.

Now that sounds a good idea! Yes it was a £500 deposit. Cheers
We know that demand far exceeds supply because Breeze (Poole) shared that there are 650 Cali's without build slots. If you don't want your order I'll give you £500!

even when we collected our 6.1 last July the dealer wanted to buy our van back. He was dead serious.

The mood music from the government at the moment is leaning towards another year of staycation so campervan demand well be bonkers, just as your order lands in the UK...££££

So many similarities to my own BMW/Cali dilema! I bought a 3 Series touring nearly 6 years ago and love everything about it and the whole BMW 'experience'...except the cost of ownership. Depreciation alone is £300 month just sitting on my drive. Each run-flat tyre works out at about £250 and thanks to pothole damage I've got through 7 of those in 53k miles - not one wore out - hit a pothole, get sidewall bulge, tyre now illegal. Give me normal tyres and a spare any day.

Despite all the costs, I'd always intended to just get another until I started thinking a) what I actually use the car for today and b) what I want to do in the future.

Answer to a) is easy - hardly anything as I'll now be working from home even after we're through this Covid stuff. Unlikely to be even driving for work-related things like I used to as I think Zoom video conferences are here to stay.

Answer for b) is basically all the things I can't easily do with the BMW - mobile office, spur of the moment trips away, adventures with the grandkids. Most importantly a reason to get off my backside and see more of this country while age and health allow.

I ordered a 199 4Motion in early November. Still no build date, zero communication from the dealer, good chance of not getting it in time for the summer. But...I'm hanging on. When I eventually get it, my plan is to hold on to the BMW for a month or two while I try the Cali. If I change my mind about the Cali I can probably sell it without losing too much - might even make a small profit! If I decide the Cali is a keeper, then the BMW goes.
You certainly won't lose money. Brother in law bought a 2012 T5 SE (Ocean) 5 years ago. Paid £32k. Today he would sell that for circa £35k.

Back