Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Club joker and Sven owners

I'm on the 'interested' list and the dealers are supposed to be sending me info when the James Cook is officially launched over here.
I don't have need or want for 4 beds, do you know if it has both 2 and 4 berth variants?
But at £120k it puts it squarely up against many other offerings which are remarkably similar!
Yes, can have as a standard 1 bed, 2 sleeping JC.
The other 2 versions are, what looks to be like, high top and pop top, with 2 beds, so sleep 4.
and can have 4x4 in standard and pop top, but not high top. I think.
Richard from Campersales is going to check it out at the caravan salon in Dusseldorf.
Wish I could nip over !

Hi Andy, hope your good lady is well on her road to recovery !
Just wondering if you've had a delivery date yet, it'd be nice to get the views of a fellow Sven owner on this thread :)
Hi Barry thanks for asking Linda is just over 3 weeks since she broke her shoulder and as yet we have no date for surgery!!!! It is really driving me insane I will call into York hospital again tomorrow to see if they know anything but it's a poor show for sure, we have no delivery date yet but for us the longer the better as we can't use it until Linda gets this done and starts to recover, how you getting on with yours I bet you're loving it :)

Hi Barry thanks for asking Linda is just over 3 weeks since she broke her shoulder and as yet we have no date for surgery!!!! It is really driving me insane I will call into York hospital again tomorrow to see if they know anything but it's a poor show for sure, we have no delivery date yet but for us the longer the better as we can't use it until Linda gets this done and starts to recover, how you getting on with yours I bet you're loving it :)
Yes it's a great van, other than the hob cover not staying up (a common problem from all accounts) it's been pretty much perfect. We've now done 2 days off grid with virtually no solar as we were under a tree and it just about did it. The fridge does use quite a bit of power from what I can ascertain.

Hope she gets her op soon so you can focus your attention on your amazing new van :)

Yes it's a great van, other than the hob cover not staying up (a common problem from all accounts) it's been pretty much perfect. We've now done 2 days off grid with virtually no solar as we were under a tree and it just about did it. The fridge does use quite a bit of power from what I can ascertain.

Hope she gets her op soon so you can focus your attention on your amazing new van :)
Wow 2 days off grid without solar that's really good what percentage were the batteries down to? What do you do about that hob cover?

Wow 2 days off grid without solar that's really good what percentage were the batteries down to? What do you do about that hob cover?
The batteries were about 12.3v at their lowest. The hob is a nuisance tbh, Wandahome were supposed to fix it as part of their snagging but it didn't do much. It's not perfect, but I've had to hold it up with one hand or use the wooden sink cover to wedge it open, that wouldn't work if both were hobs were in use though. So I'd make 100% sure yours can stand up unassisted when you collect as it's a real pain.

The other 2 versions are, what looks to be like, high top and pop top, with 2 beds, so sleep 4.
Richard from Campersales is going to check it out at the caravan salon in Dusseldorf.
Wish I could nip over !
Wow, just checked out the preliminary price & options list on the Westfalia site, what an incredible van. The way the rear section extends out is incredible and means both occupants can get in and out of the bed without disturbing one another. The options are also pretty impressive too, you can even have built in air-conditioning. The sales director at Wandahome said that they tend to tick pretty much every option and sell the vehicles fully loaded as they have to pre-empt what people will want. If you tick every option I reckon even the base van will be over £130k.

When I asked the dealer if the JC would be below 3.5t I was told it would be, yet according to the site the gross weight is 3.88t unless I'm missing something?

Wow, just checked out the preliminary price & options list on the Westfalia site, what an incredible van. The way the rear section extends out is incredible and means both occupants can get in and out of the bed without disturbing one another. The options are also pretty impressive too, you can even have built in air-conditioning. The sales director at Wandahome said that they tend to tick pretty much every option and sell the vehicles fully loaded as they have to pre-empt what people will want. If you tick every option I reckon even the base van will be over £130k.

When I asked the dealer if the JC would be below 3.5t I was told it would be, yet according to the site the gross weight is 3.88t unless I'm missing something?
The extending rear section is on the older 2021 to 2023 JC.
The 2024 / 25 JC which is debuting at German Caravan Salon in Düsseldorf at the end of August doesn’t have the extending rear.
Too many issues.
They have a full body length “pod” which is for the feet in bed and the shower area.
A different fridge that looks like the Grand Cali & T7 Cali stylie.
Now has the “Sven sliding bench seat.”
Under the premium pack.
I like the Westfalia interior low kitchen pod, compared to the higher Hymer Grand Canyon kitchen which has a very high fridge.

Looks like the JC will have the same underfloor heating as the Sven.
Also an option of one high power lithium 150ah battery (single) and MPPT and solar panel.
So I guess a 2nd Lithium Batt could be added later for longer off grid capability.
(Usually two 95ah batts, so only 95ah usability)
So 50% longer usage of battery whilst no on EHU.
But unsure how the solar panel would be fitted on.
Or if the solar and batt are installed at Westfalia or at camper sales.
The Sven solar used to be fitted at camper sales.
So would need to find out.

No idea about the tonnnage.
I’d want the 4.1tonne plate upgrade (free) as the 4x4 with pop top takes it up to 3.7 I think.
So maybe it can be under 3.5 for the standard.

Nice day out to Arnside in the CJ. Left the van parked up and got the train over the bridge to Grange.View attachment 128120
If you could install a Man or sprinter seat in this, and it was 4M with Difflock.
I’d be a happy camper !
Such a great motor

I need a campervan.
I’m bored rigid.
Saab is great for getting around for £1300
but I can’t sit and enjoy outdoor life, like you can when your sat under an awning, with feet in the sun. :confused:

I need a campervan.
I’m bored rigid.
Saab is great for getting around for £1300
but I can’t sit and enjoy outdoor life, like you can when your sat under an awning, with feet in the sun. :confused:
What about a tent to tide you over the withdrawal symptoms ?
:D

What about a tent to tide you over the withdrawal symptoms ?
:D
Hahhahahhahhahahaha.
Oh I did Gufffaawwww at that.

Told the wife.
She said, why are you missing the campervan, you didn’t like driving it :rolleyes:

Wish I could nip over !
Have you seen this article on the new JC. Apparently there is going to be a range of JC's with the rear extending model selling alongside this one.

Have you seen this article on the new JC. Apparently there is going to be a range of JC's with the rear extending model selling alongside this one.
I did see this, interesting.
Although not sure why you would want the complication of a sliding out rear pod myself.
They say it’s a bit OTT and prone to mechanical break downs.
The side pod, is a good idea, so the bench seat user has some extra elbow room.
I like the low kitchen unit, so you can lie in bed and look left and right and see the whole length of the van.
The new Dethleffs are ising a VW crafter for a campervan.
And also a beast of a 4x4 VW with coach built rear.
So many choices coming through now.

I did see this, interesting.
Although not sure why you would want the complication of a sliding out rear pod myself.
They say it’s a bit OTT and prone to mechanical break downs.
The side pod, is a good idea, so the bench seat user has some extra elbow room.
I like the low kitchen unit, so you can lie in bed and look left and right and see the whole length of the van.
The new Dethleffs are ising a VW crafter for a campervan.
And also a beast of a 4x4 VW with coach built rear.
So many choices coming through now.
Yeah, rear pod is a nono for me too.
Plenty of new campers as you say on both the Merc and Crafters, 4x4 as well. Big budgets though.

Yeah, rear pod is a nono for me too.
Plenty of new campers as you say on both the Merc and Crafters, 4x4 as well. Big budgets though.
I'm in agreement too, the electronic gizmo which extends the side pod on the SH to extend the bed makes me very nervous. Personally I don't see the need to electrify everything, a manual mechanism would be just as quick and less prone to future problems.

I had a car previously which had the lid to the centre console open electronically - to quote Blackadder Like fitting wheels to a tomato - time consuming and completely unnecessary........

I'm in agreement too, the electronic gizmo which extends the side pod on the SH to extend the bed makes me very nervous. Personally I don't see the need to electrify everything, a manual mechanism would be just as quick and less prone to future problems.

I had a car previously which had the lid to the centre console open electronically - to quote Blackadder Like fitting wheels to a tomato - time consuming and completely unnecessary........
Hi Barry how are you getting on with the steel wheels are they ok and does the van come with a 12v compressor?

Hi Barry how are you getting on with the steel wheels are they ok and does the van come with a 12v compressor?
Steel wheels are fine, they don't look the best but I always planned to wear the tread down before I even consider replacing them. Comfort want an extra £80ish to cover upgraded alloys so it's debatable whether I'll bother at all for something which is purely aesthetic.

Steel wheels are fine, they don't look the best but I always planned to wear the tread down before I even consider replacing them. Comfort want an extra £80ish to cover upgraded alloys so it's debatable whether I'll bother at all for something which is purely aesthetic.
I know what you mean did you use comfort to insure it and did you get breakdown with comfort as well, do you know what sort of breakdown cover comes with the Sven as standard?