Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Club joker and Sven owners

Yes, fridge lights and diesel/gas heating will take the juice. If you're anxious about it just test it out at home after a full charge. Get the fridge to working temp whilst on charge then remove hookup and see how long the battery lasts with the fridge on along with some phone charging, lights etc.
I've thought of actually doing that very same thing Larry, but won't it permanently damage the leisure batteries if you take them down to a really low charge?

I've thought of actually doing that very same thing Larry, but won't it permanently damage the leisure batteries if you take them down to a really low charge?
I think fridges will switch off when voltage gets down to a certain point but you're right, shouldn't let the voltage get below 12v really. Voltage will read lower though when under load.

Great idea would I carry a jack or just let the recovery service change it?
I think you know yourself if you’re physically fit enough to change a wheel.
If any slight doubt, then let the recovery service do it.
I regularly change all 4 of mine from summer to winter and visa versa.

Mine hasn't come with a spare, just like most cars with the tyre weld. It doesn't really concern me too much if I get a puncture which I can't repair that's what the AA are for!
The last half dozen cars I've owned haven't had spares and it's never caused too much of an issue.

On the subject of solar, you can still add it to your order if you want WH to fit them. Although I'm not WH's biggest fan i surmised that as they're responsible for all warranty work if there are any issues with the panels or the fitting there wouldn't be any quibbles later down the line.....

I think you know yourself if you’re physically fit enough to change a wheel.
If any slight doubt, then let the recovery service do it.
I regularly change all 4 of mine from summer to winter and visa versa.
I was the same - regularly changed wheels (winter summer and cleaning!) but age matters. I could still manage it. But the toll it takes (aches and pains the next day!) has increased. I think I would call the RAC now for a wheel swap away from my own drive and the garage full of tools (trolley jack, breaker bar, torque wrench …. The list goes on!!).

Mine hasn't come with a spare, just like most cars with the tyre weld. It doesn't really concern me too much if I get a puncture which I can't repair that's what the AA are for!
The last half dozen cars I've owned haven't had spares and it's never caused too much of an issue.

On the subject of solar, you can still add it to your order if you want WH to fit them. Although I'm not WH's biggest fan i surmised that as they're responsible for all warranty work if there are any issues with the panels or the fitting there wouldn't be any quibbles later down the line.....
I think my Saab 95 comes with the original red slim spare wheel from 2006.
Never been used. So I hear you on that.

Solar, you’d only get a years warranty with WH I suspect which is money for old rope as they’ll last at least 5 years if not 20!
So find a really good auto electrician who can build trust with and get them to do any modifications.
I’m sure if you ring Victron, they give you some auto sparks around the UK who are trained on solar and air on installs on vehicles and I’d suggest that route if you’re looking for a decent install.
I’ve seen the state of both Sven companies solar installs and it leaves a lot to be desired.
They use cheap MPPT, and no doubt cheap panels.

I’ve heard RoadPro are the leaders in vehicle installs.
aj@roadpro.co.uk
01327 312233
https://www.roadpro.co.uk/

I think my Saab 95 comes with the original red slim spare wheel from 2006.
Never been used. So I hear you on that.

Solar, you’d only get a years warranty with WH I suspect which is money for old rope as they’ll last at least 5 years if not 20!
So find a really good auto electrician who can build trust with and get them to do any modifications.
I’m sure if you ring Victron, they give you some auto sparks around the UK who are trained on solar and air on installs on vehicles and I’d suggest that route if you’re looking for a decent install.
I’ve seen the state of both Sven companies solar installs and it leaves a lot to be desired.
They use cheap MPPT, and no doubt cheap panels.

I’ve heard RoadPro are the leaders in vehicle installs.
aj@roadpro.co.uk
01327 312233
https://www.roadpro.co.uk/
Superb advice Bill I will look into that as I want a proper install.

I know what you are saying Barry my only worry is not having a spare and the recovery not being able to fix it as they don't carry spare wheels with tyres on do they, I imagine being stuck in the middle of nowhere but I just showed Linda that picture Bill posted of the spare in the Sven and she said that's so scruffy :) typical

Last edited:
I know what you are saying Barry my only worry is not having a spare and the recovery not being able to fix it as they don't carry spare wheels with tyres on do they, I imagine being stuck in the middle of nowhere but I just showed Linda that picture Bill posted of the spare in the Sven and she said that's so scruffy :) typical
Also the spare wheel takes up valuable space in your boot. Remember the Sven doesn't have the outdoor table & chairs innovatively stowed away in the boot lid like the Cali. This means that table and chairs will take up a fair proportion of your boot space.

@Misty All I see is you reporting thread hijacks.
You need a ban for a year so you can have a look in the mirror.
At Admin. I always forget Kev’s user
How can we get this utter twonk banned for a while ?

Also the spare wheel takes up valuable space in your boot. Remember the Sven doesn't have the outdoor table & chairs innovatively stowed away in the boot lid like the Cali. This means that table and chairs will take up a fair proportion of your boot space.
Good point Barry :) what table and chairs did you get and do they fit in the van well?

Good point Barry :) what table and chairs did you get and do they fit in the van well?
You've got a world of choice depending on your requirements, but we went for an Isabella folding table and Dometic Firenze chairs. But you've got to weigh up number of chairs/size of table over space. Although I do miss the convenience of the foldaway chairs the one's I've bought are much more comfortable.

The AA patrols carry multi fit spare wheels.

Ahh thanks for that I wonder if others do as well :)
Certainly RAC do. It looks like a conventional tyre but because it has multiple bolt arrangements is emergency use only, limited to 50mph and comes with instructions to check tightness of wheel bolts after 100 miles. You then have to arrange to get the wheel back to them - they came to pick it upin my case. Of course that means you have to get your own wheel repaired in the meantime.

I think carrying a proper spare wheel/tyre is far preferable. They will come and change it for you and you are on your way with no further hassle. You can then get a repair to the original under dar less time pressure and get a matching tyre at a reasonable price.

You've got a world of choice depending on your requirements, but we went for an Isabella folding table and Dometic Firenze chairs. But you've got to weigh up number of chairs/size of table over space. Although I do miss the convenience of the foldaway chairs the one's I've bought are much more comfortable.
I’ve hit LaFuma gravity chairs, the only chair I can actually go to sleep for an hour in.
Tried so many over the years.
Dont scrimp and buy cheap ones.
Just go the whole hog and they’ll last 20 years.
Mine are coming up to 5 years old and I lost a foot.
Asked LaFuma for a new one.
They sent one for free.

I cut away one side leaving enough of a lip to replicate the original table profile, I contacted Westfalia to order off them but never recieved a relpy to any of my emails
Here’s my effort at a small table to take just a couple of coffee mugs which it does with no apparent significant stresses on the support rail.
My Heath Robinson approach was to reduce one side of a short length of twin slot shelving, insert a piece of timber to pack out the return to the support rail simply screw a piece of ¼” ply through the rail and into the timber.
It measures about 28cm x 19cm and hopefully the pics illustrate it and its construction.
Cheap but effective and was surprised to see these other versions today having made mine a few weeks ago.

Table1.jpg

Table2.jpg

Table3.jpg

I have previously posted my concerns about my Club Joker starter battery voltage speedy decline which caused some interest as well as derision.
Here I post an update but to recap, the pattern since new, last year, has been a precipitous drop in voltage after charging as in the monitor record below which shows a drop to 12.51v only a day after removing the charger and to less than 12v six days thereafter.
VW says there is nothing wrong.
I find it hard to believe that it is normal to have to charge the battery every couple of days – it’s a camper, not a daily use van.
I disconnected the battery after a charge on 7/8/24 and the voltage drop over the next 18hrs was 0.05v, suggesting to me that the battery was likely OK.
The van went on a short trip and hence the voltage spikes on 8/8/24 but thereafter the voltage decline has been considerably less, taking 4 days to drop to 12.51v cf the one day previously.
The only thing I did was to disconnect and reconnect the battery.
There are no electrical items left on other than that which VW/Westfalia fitted and the alarm.
At this level of voltage decline I can live with the van although I’ve no idea if this is within the acceptable normal drop for this van’s housekeeping and inevitable battery voltage decline.
I did wonder there might have been a poor earth connection to the battery post which I corrected on reconnection, but if that had been the case, one might have expected to see voltage spikes whilst the van was in use?
I would be interested to hear any comments.

Joker Voltage pre and post battery disconnect.png

Hi Andy, hope your good lady is well on her road to recovery !
Just wondering if you've had a delivery date yet, it'd be nice to get the views of a fellow Sven owner on this thread :)

Wondering when the new MY25 Sven will start using the dashboard electronic handbrake, and a steering column gearshift ?
The James Cook MY25 looks great but £125k for a 4x4 with the packs on is £40k more than a Sven.
Wonder what price the new Sven will be ?

I’ve started seeing westfalia advertising for the new Sven on my social media and they have it at caravan salon dusseldotf at the end of the month - when I spoke to the dealer they said they are expecting details and pricing asap

I have previously posted my concerns about my Club Joker starter battery voltage speedy decline which caused some interest as well as derision.
Here I post an update but to recap, the pattern since new, last year, has been a precipitous drop in voltage after charging as in the monitor record below which shows a drop to 12.51v only a day after removing the charger and to less than 12v six days thereafter.
VW says there is nothing wrong.
I find it hard to believe that it is normal to have to charge the battery every couple of days – it’s a camper, not a daily use van.
I disconnected the battery after a charge on 7/8/24 and the voltage drop over the next 18hrs was 0.05v, suggesting to me that the battery was likely OK.
The van went on a short trip and hence the voltage spikes on 8/8/24 but thereafter the voltage decline has been considerably less, taking 4 days to drop to 12.51v cf the one day previously.
The only thing I did was to disconnect and reconnect the battery.
There are no electrical items left on other than that which VW/Westfalia fitted and the alarm.
At this level of voltage decline I can live with the van although I’ve no idea if this is within the acceptable normal drop for this van’s housekeeping and inevitable battery voltage decline.
I did wonder there might have been a poor earth connection to the battery post which I corrected on reconnection, but if that had been the case, one might have expected to see voltage spikes whilst the van was in use?
I would be interested to hear any comments.

View attachment 127728
This will need to be a solution by elimination. I would take off a fuse at a time and see if any of them stop this drain. There is something that is causing a drain. It could also be the van computer itself that is not going into sleep mode.

I would create a list of items that can consume power that is fitted to the van including permanent fixtures such as lights and then remove the fuses one at a time to see what stops the power drain.

Will take time, but you will be able to find a solution.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Wondering when the new MY25 Sven will start using the dashboard electronic handbrake, and a steering column gearshift ?
The James Cook MY25 looks great but £125k for a 4x4 with the packs on is £40k more than a Sven.
Wonder what price the new Sven will be ?
Wandahome told me that it's about £3k more than the current model so a shade under £100k I'd say

Makes the 4x4 James cook look like a good deal then !
I'm on the 'interested' list and the dealers are supposed to be sending me info when the James Cook is officially launched over here.
I don't have need or want for 4 beds, do you know if it has both 2 and 4 berth variants?
But at £120k it puts it squarely up against many other offerings which are remarkably similar!