Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Countdown 5 Begins

Well the cloud lifted overnight so drove up out of Lysboten.20240525_091402.jpg

The road to Lysebotn is single track and quiet tortuous. Don't know how I managed it in the fog. One motorhome didn't. Grounded coming off the shoulder into the ditch. No one there when I passed.
Then took the route suggested by @bvddobb .
Another single track road but very picturesque and some great views. Lakes mostly still frozen.

Screenshot_20240525_103112_Maps~2.jpg

20240525_101730.jpg20240525_103002.jpg20240525_103927.jpg

Now camped up here

View from van
20240525_144942.jpg

Some Hardy soles here. The lake is freezing20240525_145038.jpg

Route today

Screenshot_20240525_152428_Maps~2.jpg

20240525_103935.jpg

Last edited:
Well 2 campsites required cash , system not working at one and the other was kind of self checking, money in envelope with vehicle registration. Also one garage was only accepting cash as system was down. I think it pays to have some cash on you.

Norwegians seem to use an app called Vipps for payments at roadside stalls, small campsites with self check-in etcetera. Last time I checked, there was no way to use Vipps as a non-resident. So I do take some cash for those cases, just like you.

Good point by @jorun though: I should try and spend that cash sometime to renew it.

Last edited:
Definitely on my way home now. Camping near Horten and will take ferry tomorrow and drive towards Gothenburg.
Windy country roads ending in Motorway to get here.
Lunch stop .IMG-20240526-WA0000.jpeg

Then onto campsite, run by the Norwegian Caravan Club.

20240526_145342.jpg

Campsite

Lots of caravans but no occupants. They seem to pitch up for the summer complete with awning rooms and patios.
Screenshot_20240526_150737_Maps~2.jpg

Last edited:
Norwegians seem to use an app called Vipps for payments at roadside stalls, small campsites with self check-in etcetera. Last time I checked, there was no way to use Vipps as a non-resident. So I do take some cash for those cases, just like you.

Good point by @jorun though: I should try and spend that cash sometime to renew it.
Agree. Vipps is a bit like the old, once very advanced, but now obsolete system of the chipknip in The Netherlands. Only usable with a local bank account, so in the modern world completely useless.
But many people still use it over there, so it’s difficult and costly to move it over to something more modern like Vpay, that works internationally. Law of ‘the handicap of a head start’, or ’first-mover disadvantage’…

And then, as Pauls states, there are still some private toll roads or smaller campsites that use the ‘honesty box’ system, where you still need some cash.

Last edited:
I think I came across the cheapest toll today. 7 kr 51p in GBP.

Paid the campsite in cash today so just 145kr left. A coffee and cake maybe on the ferry.

Why do you never take the Kristiansand to Hirtshals ferry (you were very close), but always seem to prefer the long drive through Sweden and over The Bridge? Can’t be a cost thing, surely, looking at your total trip?

Why do you never take the Kristiansand to Hirtshals ferry (you were very close), but always seem to prefer the long drive through Sweden and over The Bridge? Can’t be a cost thing, surely, looking at your total trip?
I just enjoy the driving. Always have..

Now on the Ferry from Horten to Moss. Police were at the ferry port Breathalysing all the drivers. First time I've seen that.
Maybe a Monday morning thing?View attachment 123862

Can’t believe those gaps between vehicles on the ferry; I sweat every time I am waved ever closer to within an inch of the vehicle in front.
;)

Now on the Ferry from Horten to Moss. Police were at the ferry port Breathalysing all the drivers. First time I've seen that.
Maybe a Monday morning thing?View attachment 123862
What is the thing in the lower part of photo? Are they two high power lights with massive heat sinks on the back? And tubes going into to them too ?

What is the thing in the lower part of photo? Are they two high power lights with massive heat sinks on the back? And tubes going into to them too ?
I think they are spotlights for docking at night/winter. 2 x sets Port & Starboard.

Norwegian here. You do not need cash in Scandinavia. Cards are accepted everywhere. In the last 10 years I have attemptef to use cash twice. Both times my bills were no longer valid :)
Not my experience at all, bompeng is more or less allways cash, some small shops still require cash on the countryside.

Not my experience at all, bompeng is more or less allways cash, some small shops still require cash on the countryside.
I travelled to Stockholm quite often for work and was never able to get rid of the 100€ equivalent in krona I had changed at the airport on the first trip.

One attempt was at a supermarket to pay for a few cans of beer. The checkout lady looked at me disdainfully pulling out a pair of latex gloves to handle the cash. Then it turned out that the beer had something like 2% alcohol in it and it was my turn to look disdainful. Anyways, I ended up converting the remaining krona back home at the end of the project.

Pleasant trip down to near Gothenburg marred by some horrendous downpours on the motorway that reduced traffic to a crawl and the road surface was awash.
Lunch stop and approaching storm.
20240527_131601.jpg
Well I’m at my stopover for the night. On Archies app it’s described as a campsite but is in fact a Community owned Motorhome stopover. Electricity, water, waste water, chemical toilet disposal and free showers and toilets. You pay with a Parking App. EASYPASS is one of the ones advertised on the signs. £13 for 24 hrs.

20240527_152711.jpg

20240527_152729.jpg

20240527_152748.jpg
The house has the facilities in the basement. The house isn't in use at the moment it was last used as a Ukrainian Refugee Reception Centre.

A couple of large diversions off the E6 motorway, due to major roadworks but well signposted and the only delay was due to the lower speed limit.
Screenshot_20240527_173019_Maps~2.jpg

Last edited:
I travelled to Stockholm quite often for work and was never able to get rid of the 100€ equivalent in krona I had changed at the airport on the first trip.

One attempt was at a supermarket to pay for a few cans of beer. The checkout lady looked at me disdainfully pulling out a pair of latex gloves to handle the cash. Then it turned out that the beer had something like 2% alcohol in it and it was my turn to look disdainful. Anyways, I ended up converting the remaining krona back home at the end of the project.
Slight difference between Stockholm and rural Norway, though. Norway doesn’t even have such a populated area as Stockholm.

Definitely on the way home. Now pitched up next to the Oresund Bridge.
20240528_162555.jpg20240528_162631.jpg

And this
20240528_162933.jpg
20240528_162948.jpg

Which translated means

TO
THE MEMORY OF DANISH REFUGEES DURING THE WAR

My route
Screenshot_20240528_174729_Maps~2.jpg

Oh, and if anyone wonders why they had that short extension lead with the 2 pin European plug included with the van.
This is why
20240528_175330.jpg

Last edited:
Bit further south. Very windy on the Oresund Bridge and on the Great Belt Bridge caravans under 750kgm were banned the windsocks were horizontal. Then the rain started, and did it rain. Everything slowed on the Motorway. Now pitched up and rains stopped.20240529_151948.jpg

My route

Screenshot_20240529_153824_Maps~2.jpg

Campsite

Last edited:
Off we go again and Hamburg. Since my first trip to Scandinavia in 2015 there have been major roadworks in Hamburg involving new Tunnels etc across the River Elba on the A7, the main northern route to the West of the city.
Thought I would try a different route to the East the A21 and A1. Off we go down the A7 and then turn onto the B206. 2 lane Road , to cut across to the A21. I was not alone but the traffic flowed at 80kph and then slowed to a crawl not roadworks but a broken down loaded car transporter. Once passed that we speeded up onto A21 . Some lane restrictions but speed limit 120kph and traffic flowing well then onto A1. We were OK travelling South but heading North it was just a huge car park, all 3 lanes for over 50 km. I really felt sorry for them . Anyway now pitched up South & West of Hamburg. Osnabruck area tomorrow but heavy rain predicted.

Campsite in a wood with lots of ponds.

20240530_161252.jpg

Campsite

My route
Screenshot_20240530_163345_Maps~2.jpg