Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Discussion regarding T6 ONLY roof corrosion

Certainly now concerned as my T6 hasn't arrived as yet. When this was raised with my Dealer response was that it was an 'historic' problem.
I'm in the same boat - I was told when I ordered that the issue was resolved. Maybe that's what he genuinely believed. Anyway, I'm more concerned about being clobbered by the VED increases right now.

Also implies that any repair is guaranteed for 3 years. Although in our cases, it is not really the "workmanship" likely to be at fault, rather a design fault, so I don't know where we stand with that.

I'm in the same boat - I was told when I ordered that the issue was resolved. Maybe that's what he genuinely believed. Anyway, I'm more concerned about being clobbered by the VED increases right now.
Me too RoB5urf. Still unconfirmed build date week 15. Despite ordering in September.

Smiffy,
Is it someone at SMG that told you that they had not heard of roof corrosion on the T5 and T6 ?

The exact wording was that they have not as yet heard of any reported issues with roof corrosion on the T6, and, they are not anticipating any either. The dealer that I am dealing with personally regarding the purchase of my T6, told me has never come across any roof corrosion on either a T5 or T6.

As I said previously, they have also assured me that should any issues arise with my T6, that they will rectify it.

To date the service I've had from SMG has been excellent. I have no reason currently to assume that will change for the worse. I emailed them about the roof corrosion issue rather than calling them as that way I have an email trail should, and I stress, should, there be an issue in the future.

I completely understand that many on the forum have had an extremely unsatisfactory service from both VWCS and their own dealerships regarding this issue, and yes, that is very concerning. But I can only speak of my my own experiences thus far (with SMG specifically).

That said, I’m more than happy to report any problems that I (hopefully never) have with roof corrosion, as much as to advise and assist other club members.

I haven’t even collected my Ocean yet (!) and to be honest currently I’m more worried about Southern Rail striking again which would mean I’ll need to blag a lift to the dealership to collect it! I’m not going to worry overly about something that may not even happen. If it does, then I’ll address it at the time. And that’s me being an optimist, not sticking my head in the sand! When I collect it next week my intention is to ask them a) Has the roof been checked for any corrosion and b) to show me how to inspect the seal/roof myself. I shall also ask for it to be checked, and results recorded, at every service.

mines clean no bubbles or blisters under or outside rubber seal
Does yours have the parallel lines / marks under the seal as most with corrosion have?

I ordered with March '17 on the road. When my build date was going back I contacted the Dealer to confirm that I had costed it for old VED & if it went into the new rate plus making my car less valuable I would have to reconsider the deal. He agreed, next I was told my Cali had gone into production but no further update. Seems a bit like being in the housing chain.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/attachments/vwcorlet-pdf.10667/
Seems to be the letter referred to that states the roof is covered by the extended 6 year . Posted In the "roof corrosion - latest updates" page 119.
Thanks for digging this out AA. Much appreciated.

I'm guessing that the reference to ".....not seen any new occurrences since the production method change..." needs updating! I wonder if the Warranty extension is valid for T5/6's no matter when made. Its another question to add to the list we are compiling for VWCS.

@Martin @WelshGas @Grey one @SusiBus

I've gone back to Snowy's first post (on this thread) and his excellent photos. Those lines don't half look like they have got something to do with the problem. It's like a music score of crotchets and quavers.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/attachments/vwcorlet-pdf.10667/
Seems to be the letter referred to that states the roof is covered by the extended 6 year . Posted In the "roof corrosion - latest updates" page 119.
Thank you for finding that document, it would seem that all the warranty we have on the roof corrosion issue is 3 years, unless the corrosion is on the front roof panel. It would appear that the front panel design issue was resolved by VW in 2013. We all need to be absolutely clear on the warranty being applied to this as people may think they have 6 years make a warranty claim.

I ordered with March '17 on the road. When my build date was going back I contacted the Dealer to confirm that I had costed it for old VED & if it went into the new rate plus making my car less valuable I would have to reconsider the deal. He agreed, next I was told my Cali had gone into production but no further update. Seems a bit like being in the housing chain.
I just looked at the contract I signed back in August. It clearly only includes VED at the old/present rate. I'm guessing if my Cali was registered on or after April 1st I would be liable for the difference. That said I have a build week 4 confirmed so should be OK.

Better get back on topic now!!

Thanks for digging this out AA. Much appreciated.

I'm guessing that the reference to ".....not seen any new occurrences since the production method change..." needs updating! I wonder if the Warranty extension is valid for T5/6's no matter when made. Its another question to add to the list we are compiling for VWCS.

@Martin @WelshGas @Grey one @SusiBus
VW have built over 50000 Californias since they started the T5 production, the majority sold in Germany and Benilux countries, what is their experience?
I have just taken out the 2 year under 80000 miles extended warranty, £394 well spent I would think.

VW have built over 50000 Californias since they started the T5 production, the majority sold in Germany and Benilux countries, what is their experience?
I have just taken out the 2 year under 80000 miles extended warranty, £394 well spent I would think.
Yep a no brainer I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've gone back to Snowy's first post (on this thread) and his excellent photos. Those lines don't half look like they have got something to do with the problem. It's like a music score of crotchets and quavers.
It's my guess that the lines correlate with the internal profile of the rubber seal? If they do then doesn't it suggest that the seals are, as someone has already suggested, being fitted to soft un-cured paint. I am not sure how the micro blisters are formed. However I have read somewhere, in the dim and distant past, that where micro blisters form on automotive spray work, moisture is usually the culprit. Can anyone confirm this?

Has anyone dissected an old rubber seal? If so does it have internal ribs in the rubber moulding that would produce these imprinted lines on the roof paint work? Also does it have an internal steel gripper element?

I didn't notice this detail last time, but that reads that the 6 years applies to the 'front panel' only.
After a bit more digging, Susibus added this in Aug14.......
  1. WARRANY FOR ENTIRE ALUMINIUM ROOF SECTION EXTENDED TO SIX YEARS

The timing of the article in VW Bus magazine may be a little unfortunate because today we have received a letter from VW which will be good news for all owners of Californias up to SIX YEARS OLD.

The salient points in VW’s letter are, and I quote:

..............“As you are aware, all repairs relating to the front panel section of the California roof are covered by our paint warranty policy, not body protection warranty. While we recognise issues relating to roof corrosion, it is not as a result of through-corrosion of the aluminium panel. As such, repairs are covered by the three year paint warranty policy. In an effort to offer our customers peace of mind, we took the decision to offer an additional 3 years goodwill, extending the terms of the protection from three years to six.

Following your most recent correspondence, we have again conducted a thorough review of the goodwill terms with our colleagues at Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles HQ in Hannover. As a result, I can now confirm that Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles will extend the terms of the goodwill to cover the entire roof panel. Any cases of roof corrosion to the main roof panel will now also be covered under our good will policy for up to six years.

This enhanced support is linked to the individual Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and is therefore transferable upon sale of the vehicle.

We will be notifying our Van Centres of this additional enhancement. I would ask that you encourage any of your members who may be affected by this issue to visit their nearest Van Centre so that their vehicle may be assessed ............”

We had requested that VW “offer a twelve year bodywork warranty, transferable on sale, with the word “perforation” deleted in relation to the aluminium sections of the vehicle”, but VW replied:

“This has been reviewed however we are currently unable to do so”

There you have it straight from VW Head Office – if your vehicle is under six years old and you have roof corrosion, it will be repaired under warranty. Therefore, it is up to you to check your vehicle particularly under the rubber seal, and if you do have corrosion then contact your nearest van dealer.

I am not sure if this new warranty extension will be applied to countries outside the UK as VW appear to operate as separate entities in each country. Warranties terms differ even within the EU.

SUSIBUS

If the roof corrosion problem continues to the T6 variant at the same level as seen in the T5 then I would agree. Just to satisfy me can you confirm that the Extended Warranty includes bodywork and paint as per the Warranty that comes with a new Cali?

I am relatively new to the "Roof" issue but concerning Germany and Benilux countries I have no knowledge but it is on my agenda to try and find out before I have any discussions with VWCS. I yet to fully wade through the 155 pages of the original complaint thread. I will be contacting Susibus to see what general information we have outside the UK. JW

If the roof corrosion problem continues to the T6 variant at the same level as seen in the T5 then I would agree. Just to satisfy me can you confirm that the Extended Warranty includes bodywork and paint as per the Warranty that comes with a new Cali?

I am relatively new to the "Roof" issue but concerning Germany and Benilux countries I have no knowledge but it is on my agenda to try and find out before I have any discussions with VWCS. I yet to fully wade through the 155 pages of the original complaint thread. I will be contacting Susibus to see what general information we have outside the UK. JW
Extended warranty leaflet quote detailed below.

A comprehensive package for complete peace of mind.

- Exactly the same cover as original manufacturer warranty

- No limit to the number of claims you can make, no excess, and no requirement to pay and then reclaim
the costs

- All repairs carried out by the Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles' authorised network using genuine parts

- Fully transferable to new owner, should you sell,
which will help to enhance resale value

For any repairs, just contact any
Volkswagen Van Centre

It's my guess that the lines correlate with the internal profile of the rubber seal? If they do then doesn't it suggest that the seals are, as someone has already suggested, being fitted to soft un-cured paint. I am not sure how the micro blisters are formed. However I have read somewhere, in the dim and distant past, that where micro blisters form on automotive spray work, moisture is usually the culprit. Can anyone confirm this?

Has anyone dissected an old rubber seal? If so does it have internal ribs in the rubber moulding that would produce these imprinted lines on the roof paint work? Also does it have an internal steel gripper element?
I use to dab a little in spraying classic cars in my younger days and it was always policy to drain off the air filters that collect moisture from the air compressor air tank before spraying.It wasn't unusual to collect 1/2 pint of water!

I had to estimate to repaint a vehicle that was covered in micro blisters that started after a respray 2 years previous due to trapped moisture!

Whatever the Reason for this on going issue I believe trapped water I.e.under the rubber seal etc to be a contribution

Alan

ArunAlec,

Thanks for digging out my original posting which was issued by the Head of Network Development & Customer Services and was Cc to the Managing Director Volkswagen Group UK Ltd on 6 August 2014.

I obviously have the original letter if needed, but I can't believe it would be necessary to have to provide that because by now surely every dealer is not fully aware of the 6 year Goodwill roof paint work warranty.

ArunAlec,

Thanks for digging out my original posting which was issued by the Head of Network Development & Customer Services and was Cc to the Managing Director Volkswagen Group UK Ltd on 6 August 2014.

I obviously have the original letter if needed, but I can't believe it would be necessary to have to provide that because by now surely every dealer is not fully aware of the 6 year Goodwill roof paint work warranty.
Thank you, for doing all the research and chasing VW. I was keen to get any "evidence" in readiness, now that my Cali is out of its 3 year warranty and corrosion is only a matter of time!

If anyone wanted to return a T6 with roof corrosion, I'd just park it on the dealer's forecourt, push the keys through the letter box and instruct a solicitor. I think you'd get a pretty quick payout.
VW struggling to fix a defect that emerged on a previous model is one thing, but to have claimed to have fixed it on the late T5's, and then to have launched a new model with the same fault is totally indefensible.
I was under the impression that vw had fixed the corrosion on the late T5.
Am I right in thinking that they probably haven't?!
This was why we bought a new late 2014 T5 and not second hand.
Any thoughts?

After a bit more digging, Susibus added this in Aug14.......
  1. WARRANY FOR ENTIRE ALUMINIUM ROOF SECTION EXTENDED TO SIX YEARS

The timing of the article in VW Bus magazine may be a little unfortunate because today we have received a letter from VW which will be good news for all owners of Californias up to SIX YEARS OLD.

The salient points in VW’s letter are, and I quote:

..............“As you are aware, all repairs relating to the front panel section of the California roof are covered by our paint warranty policy, not body protection warranty. While we recognise issues relating to roof corrosion, it is not as a result of through-corrosion of the aluminium panel. As such, repairs are covered by the three year paint warranty policy. In an effort to offer our customers peace of mind, we took the decision to offer an additional 3 years goodwill, extending the terms of the protection from three years to six.

Following your most recent correspondence, we have again conducted a thorough review of the goodwill terms with our colleagues at Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles HQ in Hannover. As a result, I can now confirm that Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles will extend the terms of the goodwill to cover the entire roof panel. Any cases of roof corrosion to the main roof panel will now also be covered under our good will policy for up to six years.

This enhanced support is linked to the individual Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and is therefore transferable upon sale of the vehicle.

We will be notifying our Van Centres of this additional enhancement. I would ask that you encourage any of your members who may be affected by this issue to visit their nearest Van Centre so that their vehicle may be assessed ............”

We had requested that VW “offer a twelve year bodywork warranty, transferable on sale, with the word “perforation” deleted in relation to the aluminium sections of the vehicle”, but VW replied:

“This has been reviewed however we are currently unable to do so”

There you have it straight from VW Head Office – if your vehicle is under six years old and you have roof corrosion, it will be repaired under warranty. Therefore, it is up to you to check your vehicle particularly under the rubber seal, and if you do have corrosion then contact your nearest van dealer.

I am not sure if this new warranty extension will be applied to countries outside the UK as VW appear to operate as separate entities in each country. Warranties terms differ even within the EU.

SUSIBUS
According to himself, if there is a design flaw (which there is) under British law, VW are obliged to correct it. Six years is the time period specified.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that vw had fixed the corrosion on the late T5.
Am I right in thinking that they probably haven't?!
This was why we bought a new late 2014 T5 and not second hand.
Any thoughts?

They have only fixed the front panel problem, what has not been resolved is the corrosion on the pop up roof, that's why we are reading 2015 and 2016 Cali's with this issue.

Back