Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Discussion regarding T6 ONLY roof corrosion

I believe they are supposed to carry out a " Corrosion Check " at Service.
Page 5 of the of the Service Schedule booklet.

Attachments

• Scan_20170305.pdf
    124.3 KB · Views: 43
At the risk of some pedant telling me I have a T5, this happened to me last week at Hadwins near Grange Over Sands.
It was in for MOT and I asked if they could pull down the seal and check on the repair done in 2014. No, we don't check on repairs, only if the customer finds a fault and complains. I left it at that as I am sick of the whole "rusty" roof thing.
The Cali suits us in many respects so I've given up bothering.

Take a small section of the seal off yourself to look, you have an extra 3 years goodwill warranty on this, if you see blistering paint notify a warranty claim to your "dealer"

Yes I will check it. After all that is how I found it in the first place.
I suppose I was trying to get them to take some responsibility for this.

Yes I will check it. After all that is how I found it in the first place.
I suppose I was trying to get them to take some responsibility for this.

I notified by dealer of my warranty claim by email with photos attached, they then are required to carry out an inspection, take their own photos and submit a warranty report to VW for approval.

Despite deciding not too look, I succumbed and had a look yesterday. Hoping not to tempt providence but so far so good with no sign of any problems

Despite deciding not too look, I succumbed and had a look yesterday. Hoping not to tempt providence but so far so good with no sign of any problems

That is good news, two questions for you, did you check the sides and do you keep your van under cover?

That is good news, two questions for you, did you check the sides and do you keep your van under cover?
I just had a look over the side door and offside back corner, so not a thorough check but I didn't want to remove the seal and it comes off very easily with the roof up. In fact it really surprised me just how little grip it has to keep it in place.

Metallic paint, it's kept outside and the paint is going green over the seal, I need to clean it more often!

I just had a look over the side door and offside back corner, so not a thorough check but I didn't want to remove the seal and it comes off very easily with the roof up. In fact it really surprised me just how little grip it has to keep it in place.

Metallic paint, it's kept outside and the paint is going green over the seal, I need to clean it more often!

Thanks, I know from my son's experience with Ford Transit vans metallic paint vans always suffer less corrosion issues that standard paint vans, interesting.

We have unfortunately had to book our T6 into VW Body Repair Centre as we had a slight disagreement with a bollard. We're asked them to have a look at the roof for us - they did advise that we might then need a new seal but that they would get there engineer to take a look. Dropped the Cali off today and so will keep you updated (Please note : I don't recommend driving into a bollard just to give you an excuse to go to check the roof! :()

Last edited:
We have unfortunately had to book our T6 into AB Crush (VW Body Repair Centre) as we had a slight disagreement with a bollard. We're asked them to have a look at the roof for us - they did advise that we might then need a new seal but that they would get there engineer to take a look. Dropped the Cali off today and so will keep you updated (Please note : I don't recommend driving into a bollard just to give you an excuse to go to A B Crush to check the roof! :()

Sorry to hear your damaged the Cali ....lesson learnd there...

The roof seal can easy be pulled off , if you just do it in a length of 30cm check and push back in and work your way arround .
Imo. any dealer who will not check it for you is holding things behind .
And even if they say a new seal is needed , they have to provide it under warrenty if dealing with a new verhicle
Some dealers seem to have no knowledge at all....

I have read and seen photographic evidence that T6 roofs suffer from corrosion. Having just ordered a new T6, I found this just a little alarming. Why should I spend 50k+ for a defective product. I thought I would write to VW and ask them what is going on. This is their reply and apparently no Cali's after 2013 suffer from corrosion. Are they simply in denial?? So Just in case I have problems with mine I am retaining their reply:

Dear Dr Stromberg

Thank you for your recent contact to Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles UK. Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response.

I am delighted to hear of your recent order of a Volkswagen California.

Regarding the corrosion issue on the front section of the roof of some California models; this particular issue stems from damage to the paint and primer, mainly due to movement between the seals and the aluminium components, and where dirt and debris have got in between them.

A new Factory-approved repair method has been developed to deal with this paint defect which affects a number of California T5 vehicles. I can confirm that no California models built after 2013 are affected by this issue.

The new repair simply involves the removal of the affected section of the roof, and the addition of a zinc-rich primer to prevent any re-occurrence of further corrosion, with a polyurethane cap being bonded to completely cover the old unit.

I hope this information proves useful; regrettably, we have no further information regarding this matter on a general basis. If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on the details below.

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles UK

I have read and seen photographic evidence that T6 roofs suffer from corrosion. Having just ordered a new T6, I found this just a little alarming. Why should I spend 50k+ for a defective product. I thought I would write to VW and ask them what is going on. This is their reply and apparently no Cali's after 2013 suffer from corrosion. Are they simply in denial?? So Just in case I have problems with mine I am retaining their reply:

Dear Dr Stromberg

Thank you for your recent contact to Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles UK. Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response.

I am delighted to hear of your recent order of a Volkswagen California.

Regarding the corrosion issue on the front section of the roof of some California models; this particular issue stems from damage to the paint and primer, mainly due to movement between the seals and the aluminium components, and where dirt and debris have got in between them.

A new Factory-approved repair method has been developed to deal with this paint defect which affects a number of California T5 vehicles. I can confirm that no California models built after 2013 are affected by this issue.

The new repair simply involves the removal of the affected section of the roof, and the addition of a zinc-rich primer to prevent any re-occurrence of further corrosion, with a polyurethane cap being bonded to completely cover the old unit.

I hope this information proves useful; regrettably, we have no further information regarding this matter on a general basis. If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on the details below.

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles UK
Hi Sid
I'm not sure you and VW are talking about the same things.
On the T5 there were two paint/corrosion issues associated with the roof, one was the front panel section as is described by VW in their letter to you and as far as I know there has been no re-occurrence of this in the new T6. The second problem was that of blistering of paint and corrosion on the main roof panel, mainly around its edges (sides and back). This problem has been transferred to the new T6 but is, maybe conveniently, not mentioned in VW's letter. As it is I think VW's letter to you is accurate in so much that they do limit their comments to "........corrosion issue on the front section of the roof......."
I am aware of nine T6 versions that have been inspected and four were showing signs of corrosion. This was discovered in a non scientific poll. There is something else you should be aware of and I will PM you to discuss.

Sorry to hear your damaged the Cali ....lesson learnd there...

The roof seal can easy be pulled off , if you just do it in a length of 30cm check and push back in and work your way arround .
Imo. any dealer who will not check it for you is holding things behind .
And even if they say a new seal is needed , they have to provide it under warrenty if dealing with a new verhicle
Some dealers seem to have no knowledge at all....

AB Crush is not a VW dealer they were 1 of the 3 original VW body shops who did the full old style roof repair.

They did our T5 roof 1st class VW approved body shop I am sure you will get a 1st class repair there.

Hi Sid
I'm not sure you and VW are talking about the same things.
On the T5 there were two paint/corrosion issues associated with the roof, one was the front panel section as is described by VW in their letter to you and as far as I know there has been no re-occurrence of this in the new T6. The second problem was that of blistering of paint and corrosion on the main roof panel, mainly around its edges (sides and back). This problem has been transferred to the new T6 but is, maybe conveniently, not mentioned in VW's letter. As it is I think VW's letter to you is accurate in so much that they do limit their comments to "........corrosion issue on the front section of the roof......."
I am aware of nine T6 versions that have been inspected and four were showing signs of corrosion. This was discovered in a non scientific poll. There is something else you should be aware of and I will PM you to discuss.
Is it something you can make all of us aware of please .
I have a new Cali on order !

Is it something you can make all of us aware of please .
I have a new Cali on order !
There is an earlier post in this thread - https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...only-roof-corrosion.16800/page-18#post-190749 informing members of potential contact with VW directly.
Did you see my PM to you?
For your information I took delivery of a new Cali just three weeks ago - I will not let the roof issue spoil my enjoyment - life's too short. That's not to say I will not fight for what is right!!

Last edited:
Perhaps to get VW's attention regarding corrosion you could vinyl wrap it first as per >>

Oh dear. Checked my roof today and found this.

IMG_3852.JPG

And this

IMG_3856.JPG

Nothing at the front but it's all across the back edge of the roof and down the passenger side.

Conversation with dealer tomorrow methinks :(

Back