Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Discussion regarding T6 ONLY roof corrosion

Oh dear. Checked my roof today and found this.

View attachment 20265

And this

View attachment 20266

Nothing at the front but it's all across the back edge of the roof and down the passenger side.

Conversation with dealer tomorrow methinks :(

What a PITA, good luck. I dread checking mine but it is only a few weeks old. Is already going back in to the paintshop for this defect on the tailgate.IMG_2147.JPG

The 50% is a good correlation, therefore no improvement, with the random inspection made on T5's at the COTF meet in 2014/5?

@Jabberwocky Are you still maintaining a datbase of issues. For completeness my information is:

T6 Ocean
Registered March 2016
8,000 miles
kept outside
significant corrosion on one rear corner. also evident along whole of back edge and up one side

:(:(:(:(:(:(

What are the latest stats?

Last edited:
What a PITA, good luck. I dread checking mine but it is only a few weeks old. Is already going back in to the paintshop for this defect on the tailgate.View attachment 20269
Bad luck.

Mine's already been in the paint shop once as well! The wiper was fitted incorrectly onto the spindle and wore the paint off back to the metal on the A pillar.

Bad luck.

Mine's already been in the paint shop once as well! The wiper was fitted incorrectly onto the spindle and wore the paint off back to the metal on the A pillar.
So much for VW quality checks, perhaps the company WAS secretly taken over by the Austin Morris Group after WWII. lol

We
Oh dear. Checked my roof today and found this.

View attachment 20265

And this

View attachment 20266

Nothing at the front but it's all across the back edge of the roof and down the passenger side.

Conversation with dealer tomorrow methinks :(

We were recently talking to VWHQ about our roof corrosion complaint on our T5 and T6 Californias and they were categorical that ours is the only T6 that has been reported to them with roof corrosion.

As well as telling the dealer could I suggest you also tell VWCS direct about your T6 with roof corrosion.

Bang on 1 year old.
So sorry to see this. Keep us all abreast of progress. That's ten instances of T6 inspections that I am aware of and 5 with corrosion - so 50% affected.

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
We

We were recently talking to VWHQ about our roof corrosion complaint on our T5 and T6 Californias and they were categorical that ours is the only T6 that has been reported to them with roof corrosion.

As well as telling the dealer could I suggest you also tell VWCS direct about your T6 with roof corrosion.
Thanks @snowy55 .

I certainly will. I'm in a bit of a spin about what its best to do. There have been suggestions on here that claims should be left until close to the end of the warranty period due to the repair having a shorter warranty period than the original vehicle warranty. Surely that should not be the case. If the original warranty is longer than the repair warranty then the original date should apply - shouldn't it?

I think you had a T5 repaired twice - is that correct? How long before the problem showed up again after the first repair?

So sorry to see this. Keep us all abreast of progress. That's ten instances of T6 inspections that I am aware of and 5 with corrosion - so 50% affected.

@Calikev @Martin Is it possible to set up a private thread that only affected members have access to? I'm very happy to keep the whole community updated regarding progress on this thread but it has got very long and it would be good for those of us affected to be able to have a direct and focussed conversation.

Thanks @snowy55 .

I certainly will. I'm in a bit of a spin about what its best to do. There have been suggestions on here that claims should be left until close to the end of the warranty period due to the repair having a shorter warranty period than the original vehicle warranty. Surely that should not be the case. If the original warranty is longer than the repair warranty then the original date should apply - shouldn't it?

I think you had a T5 repaired twice - is that correct? How long before the problem showed up again after the first repair?

I agree with you regarding the warranty on a T5, it should last the full six years even if repaired within that time, but I understand the 6 year extended warranty on the T5 doesn't apply to the T6.
Yes our T5 was repaired twice, the timescale for corrosion was about 7 months from 1st registration, 8 months after the first repair and 6 yes 6 WEEKS after the second repair

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
IMG_0133.JPG
Another one for some corrosion appearing. Haven't checked all the way round. This is where the drivers door is.
Looks like my wish for red bellows could be coming true!

Not sure where my post went.

Sorry to hear that you've joined this growing club @daveyboydanger :-(. Ironically this is the only part of my roof unaffected ! Still waiting for my 'urgent' call back from the dealer.

Looks like my wish for red bellows could be coming true!

sorry to see another T6 with roof issue. The bellows were only changed on the T5 on the "old" style repair to the front section rather than the raising roof section.

sorry to see another T6 with roof issue. The bellows were only changed on the T5 on the "old" style repair to the front section rather than the raising roof section.
That would be a shame. It's the only positive I can see in it all!

Recent discussions with VWCS executive department deny ANY T6 have roof corrosion.
They also do not monitor any forums because the information cannot be verified.

Recent discussions with VWCS executive department deny ANY T6 have roof corrosion.
They also do not monitor any forums because the information cannot be verified.
Haha. Alternative facts eh?
Poor old VW. I'll let them know when I'm back home from the lakes.

Haha. Alternative facts eh?
Poor old VW. I'll let them know when I'm back home from the lakes.

We were talking to man in charge of the T5 corrosion team......... there is NO T6 corrosion team because according to them it doesn't exist.

I've got corrosion just on the raising roof under the seal on my T5 and I was told by Breeze of Portsmouth that the bellows would need to be changed- watch this space!

We were talking to man in charge of the T5 corrosion team......... there is NO T6 corrosion team because according to them it doesn't exist.
CATCH 22...... There is no T6 corrosion because there is no T6 Corrosion Team.

New seal fitted on the roof today and notice 2 small bubbles on the front edge, nothing to worry about the dealer said... just keep an eye on it.... oh yes i certainly will!

Obviously all our posts are ' fake news ' according to VW !

New seal fitted on the roof today and notice 2 small bubbles on the front edge, nothing to worry about the dealer said... just keep an eye on it.... oh yes i certainly will!
Have you a photo of new seal for comparison?

Oh dear. I fear the worst. Have you inspected the whole roof? The worst part on mine is the back corners. How old is yours? Mine is bang on 12 months and they 'bubbling' is extensive - but all still under the seal. It's going in for an inspection by the dealer on Thurs this week.

Back