Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Club Meet Gloucester afternoon get together - November 1st

The wife is in bed with the flu so looks like it will just be me on my lonesome now, I am looking forward to meeting everyone and putting faces to names. As others have said it is a shame GrannyJen cant make it.

Just wanted to post about our two dogs. As the pub is dog friendly and we can't easily get them looked after, we will be bringing them with us. They love camping and days out in the van. I am hoping they don't go swimming in the river.

Our Cocker, who we adopted a year ago, Honey, has had a bad experience with an aggressive pack of dogs in her younger years and so we will keep her on a lead when other dogs are around. She has never bitten another dog but does get anxious and growl if unknown dogs approach her. You will know her as she will have a yellow bandana with "I don't like other dogs" on it

She loves people and is extremely friendly but just in case other people are bringing dogs too, I wanted to make you aware.

I just rang the pub to book for camping on Sunday night and the lady said that the campsite was shut but I could camp in the car park.... Is that what everyone else is expecting, or is everyone leaving before Sunday night? I'm somewhere else on Saturday night....

I was under impression the site was being opened. May be closed from rain? If that's the case we will just come up for Sunday :)

Last edited:
Several people are camping Sunday night, it depends how soft the ground is to where people will want to pitch up, if calling you are best talking to Samantha but to be honest there will be plenty of space for Sunday so you will just be able to decide on the day if you prefer.

Thanks Matt and Martin.

The lady did sound a bit confused and asked if I would be in a tent (despite me explaining that it was a VW Cali) so I guess I didn't speak to Samantha. I will try calling again later. But I don't want to be the only person in the car park on Sunday night, I'm still too new to this!!

I have just spoken the the pub, it sounds like you spoke to one of the barmaids, if you call back in an hour or so Samantha the manager will be there. I do know a couple of people are camping on Sunday night so you should not be alone.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make this now due to the wife's operation date changing. I will of course make sure martin or kev bring along everything that has been ordered from the shop if you need anything else just ask martin or kev who I know are going. Enjoy your weekend everybody
David

Thanks Matt and Martin.

The lady did sound a bit confused and asked if I would be in a tent (despite me explaining that it was a VW Cali) so I guess I didn't speak to Samantha. I will try calling again later. But I don't want to be the only person in the car park on Sunday night, I'm still too new to this!!

Im camping in the carpark on sunday night.

Helen & I are also staying at the camping site on Sunday night. I'm hoping there will be some experienced owners to give us some hints and tips of what to do.

Simon

Does anyone know what time the carvery finishes please?

Have RSVP'd will arrive Sunday and stay Sunday night, will call pub to confirm. Looking forward to meeting you all.
Nice location have sat on the opposite side of the river having a picnic many times (pre Cali) looking over to the pub

Hope site not shut we were expecting to use it tomorrow (sat night). Booked a week or so ago.

I'm pretty sure they said 3.00pm for the Carvery when I asked early last week. Starts at 12.00. But if you ask one of those going on Saturday perhaps they could update you.

Dear All
Living in Bristol the Lower Lode Inn is only about 1ÂĽ hours away and I didn't need much of an excuse to go for a drive to play in our new toy.
The pub is absolutely superb. Right on the edge of the river, which apparently occasionally comes a bit closer than they would like. It was a bright sunny afternoon up there and as soon as I drove up the owner came out to greet me. Her name is Sam and she will be there till early tomorrow afternoon.
The real campsite is only licenced until the end of October so we can't use that, but there is a large area just past the pub and there are two areas of grass there, one on each side of a track. I checked how firm the ground was and another VW came in driving over it with no problems. You go under a willow tree that is growing to the right of the track.
The Carvery runs from 12.00-15.00 and is already pretty booked up. There were a few extra places left, but she advised not to just turn up if you want the carvery. They are still offering the regular menu & I'll attach a file for that. There are toilets available 24 hours also showers, no mains hook ups as far as I understand, as they are on the regular site. There is a big meeting room for a hundred or so people which can be used.
http://www.lowerlodeinn.co.uk/eat/ is the web site. On the right hand side of the eating page is a picture of the river & under it is a link to the menu in docx form which I can't seem to upload to this post. It is a comprehensive menu and well worth a read. Some good ales on draft. A very nice pub and well recommended by someone.
Hope this helps
Simon

Last edited:
Here is the first page of the menu
image0004.jpg image0005.jpg

Hi Simon

Thanks very much for taking the time to go over to the site today, it is really appreciated.

See you tomorow ..

early to bed for an early start tomorrow, weather is looking great.

See you all tomorrow afternoon.

Hi Martin
Last minute decision but we're planning on heading up to Wales tomorrow morning and would love to stop off and join you all for lunch and, if possible, overnight camp. Any chance or do you think it's too late to sort out now?
Leighton

Hi Leighton, will be good to see you .. looks like we will have a very good turn out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great. Thank you. We'll start packing in the hope of leaving sunny Bognor first thing in the morning and arriving at sunny Tewksbury at about midday! Won't be able to clean Myfanwy but she'll do!
See you tomorrow.

See you all in a few hours, looks like nice sunny afternoon for the meet. Thick fog here in Devon at the moment.