Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Good & Bad VW Dealers - We need your feedback!

I’ve just got my first Cali so haven’t had a service yet. However, I’d be interested to see what’s said about Clark Commercials at Bilston (Edinburgh), which is where I bought the vehicle. I’ve heard some good reports, met the service team and spoken to two of them in the last two days. They have a “California Expert” called Alan Winter. He’s also an auto electrician.

The service from North Wales Van Centre in Llandudno Junction has been very good since we bought our van off them. And there's a Mercedes dealer just across the road so you can check out the competition while your van is being fettled!
I posted good things about Llandudno Junctioin earlier in the year....

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/vw-van-centre-llandudno-junction.18510/

Since then I've had a power steering failure while away which was fixed under DasWelt at JCT600 in Sheffield. Happened on a Friday and van was driven back to me in Bangor by the middle of the next week with a good top up of diesel. Never actually went into JCT600 as a courtesy car was delivered to me but the job was done in reasonable time (?) and no complaints.

Dropped into Llandudno Junction for a data plug the other day and Anthea in service told me JCT would have fitted a modded belt tensioner that is known to cause possible problems. I've no worries about their grasp of all things Cali and confident they know their stuff. And I know my dog will be well fussed over when I'm there....

Stewart

I have always (since 2012) had 1st class service 5 star from Breeze in Totton (Southampton)I trust them with my van and feel they always care & respect it. They do not sale the California at Totton but over the years I have seen more and more Cali's in for work there. Not only have they serviced my van they have sorted a couple of Cali issues - stuck down bed and electric switch in rear. They always go out of the way to help, Derek Govey in the service department is the face I know and work with. They also open early and close late.

While a discount would be nice I would rather pay full price for 1st class service (my next 4 services are paid for up front) . Feel it is great to have a list "user" recommended VW garages
I have always said find a good dealer you trust is the most important part of Cali ownership.

I agree with this this post and recommend Derek as the Service Guy to talk with. He has built a friendly rapport with My Wife who has dealt with them on numerous warranty items over the past four years. Service items are dealt with efficiently and when they has a Cali specific problem (sorry can't remember which fault) they arranged efficiently for the groups "Cali expert" to come and fix. The loan vehicles are always interesting T6 panel vans or Caddies which my Wife likes to drive.

Derek knows that I don't like the Caddies so will typically try and provide me with a T6 panel van.

He also knows that it will be driven home and left safely on the drive for the duration of the loan!

I’ve just got my first Cali so haven’t had a service yet. However, I’d be interested to see what’s said about Clark Commercials at Bilston (Edinburgh), which is where I bought the vehicle. I’ve heard some good reports, met the service team and spoken to two of them in the last two days. They have a “California Expert” called Alan Winter. He’s also an auto electrician.

I've had great service from them so far, and Alan has always been really helpful.

Our Grace is back from VW Snows Plymouth after warranty repair to her wonky closing roof.
New motor installed ,all working well. Cali pristine inside & outside.

Had a free curtesy brand new T6 Highline (only few miles) for four days . Waved excess payment because longer job than anticipated.

Friendly helpful service from Andy .

Last edited:
Our Ocean was bought from Guy at Preston. It was a demonstrator with 60 miles on and in absolute pristine condition and he removed from showroom into protective storage as soon as we had signed terms; Guy looks after his vans as if they were his own! He is very knowledgable and answered all our queries with depth and width - felt very confident in purchase.
Preston too far from home to deal with any future snagging list so will likely go to Llandudno Junction for service. Wrexham van centre is close by but not distributers of Campervans, they should be good for majority of general van issues; I took my Golf lease to Wxm for a service and I was pleased with their professional approach.
We have ordered ours with guy too..
Although I have not met him in person he seems like a nice clued up fella .i recognised your pic from our trip to Preston on guys day off.we sat in that van very nice interior

Went to beadles in Dartford, salesman didn't even bother getting out of his chair as I obviously couldn't afford a California, They are very expensive he said, long waiting list he said.................I ended up at SMG Tonbridge, very good Jay and the Guys done a great Job , very helpful....will go back but not too soon I hope :thumb

Can I just remind everyone ..... (gently of course!)...

This thread specifically relates to the service experience, not the sales experience.

Thanks.

Maybe the misleading title could be edited to be more specific...

I am sure that Martin may consider this, but the last sentence of the OP does make it clear :D

Sorry about that, figured attitude of the place may be relevant ,... I will be more specific Had a 4 year SERVICE , new brakes, new cam belt and bike rack fitted at SMG Tonbridge, Very happy indeed and I spoke to the salesmen as well

Sorry about that, figured attitude of the place may be relevant ,... I will be more specific Had a 4 year SERVICE , new brakes, new cam belt and bike rack fitted at SMG Tonbridge, Very happy indeed and I spoke to the salesmen as well

A general reminder, no one specifically and you are right, attitude is important.

One thing I do find interesting is just how many people are very pleased with the service experience and less pleased with the sales, and vice-versa. I have my vehicle serviced by a dealer further away than the one I bought from, and the one servicing has so far shown zero interest in selling me a replacement, again!

A lot speak highly of SMG Tunbridge, and it is SMG who service my vehicle, so might pop in.

Our Grace is back from VW Snows Plymouth after warranty repair to her wonky closing roof.
New motor installed ,all working well. Cali pristine inside & outside.

Had a free curtesy brand new T6 Highline (only few miles) for four days . Waved excess payment because longer job than anticipated.

Friendly helpful service from Andy .
Shouldn't charge any " Excess " payment as it was a warranty job.

Shouldn't charge any " Excess " payment as it was a warranty job.

Didn’t explain correctly .
No excess for warranty repair.

It was for the courtesy car . If you don’t pay the excess wavier (only £ 15 ). If you have an accident the excess was something like £ 500.

Didn’t explain correctly .
No excess for warranty repair.

It was for the courtesy car . If you don’t pay the excess wavier (only £ 15 ). If you have an accident the excess was something like £ 500.
If the repair/replacement is authorised by VW as a Warranty Repair or Replacement then you should be offered a courtesy vehicle, at No Cost to you, fully comprehensively insured with £0 excess. If the Dealership charge for this then VWUK are obliged to pay.
This is Not the case for routine servicing or accident repairs.

Thanks for that.
We were not charged anything £0 . So all good.

Have my California booked in to Hawco VW Van Centre, Inverness on Monday 16 October for service, MOT and timing belt replacement. Will report here after the event with feedback.:thumb

Surely we need people to post on the servicing of the living area really as any van centre can do work on stuff under the bonnet.

My problems have always been when they needed to do work on the roof or a kitchen cupboard and you find that the mechanic has never seen a Cali before

Surely we need people to post on the servicing of the living area really as any van centre can do work on stuff under the bonnet.
I have to disagree because yes any dealer can (should be able) do the van van work but great to have a full service and find you well loved camper van has been treated as it is a builders van esp on the inside have seen people complain of oil marks on roof header marks on trim and floor from dirty boots
reviews on all parts of van needed

Last edited:
OK, thank you to everyone who has replied to this post, we have now found a way we can input this information all in one place.

If you CLICK HERE and scroll down to find your dealer and give a start rating followed by a review.
You must be logged into the forum to do this.
Was Clark Commercials Bilston (near Edinburgh) missed deliberately?

Would be really handy as you say anybody can do the mechanics . Looking for a dealer to do camping side of things.

Back