Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

If you could only have one accessory, what would it be?

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello Cali bunch,

So my cali will be here in a few weeks (i hope) so buying some accessories so the're here when my cali turns up but theres literally millions of them!

So rather than asking, what accessories do you recommend, thought asking another way will really narrow it down so;

Apart from Pillows and a quilt/ sleeping bag, what ONE accessory could you not live without?

Hook up lead.

Cadac Safari (or similar). Enables you to do most of your cooking outdoors which is enjoyable anyway but also keeps van clean and free of cooking smells.

Cadac Safari (or similar). Enables you to do most of your cooking outdoors which is enjoyable anyway but also keeps van clean and free of cooking smells.
Thats a good one, i went camping last week and i used one of these Camping Gaz Party grill for the first time. Amazing!! Sausage butties, cups of tea, heated up crossiants, made a full curry, burgers, stir fry in the wok lid. So versatile and the little 407 cannister still going. £90 but defo worth it!!
Screenshot_20180909-105451_Chrome.jpg

Not wanting to be negative, but if you're stretched financially, why not just transfer things you already own from your house to the van as and when needed rather than spending money on duplications? We bought a load of stuff for the cali before we got it (as do most people on this forum) and then ended up hardly using any of it! Even the cushions got thrown out (and I am a massive cushion fan, but we just got fed up with moving them round all the time!). Only essential is a bucket for a 3am pee without having to trudge to the loo block or toilet tent!

Not wanting to be negative, but if you're stretched financially, why not just transfer things you already own from your house to the van as and when needed rather than spending money on duplications? We bought a load of stuff for the cali before we got it (as do most people on this forum) and then ended up hardly using any of it! Even the cushions got thrown out (and I am a massive cushion fan, but we just got fed up with moving them round all the time!). Only essential is a bucket for a 3am pee without having to trudge to the loo block or toilet tent!
True, but if your going to have a cali, might as well enjoy the thing to the max. We have sat down and really number cruched so will be ok now! :thumb
Problem is with moving things in and out of house it, is forgetting something.
Bucket is a good option though, as long as kids dont spill it :eek::Nailbiting

True, but if your going to have a cali, might as well enjoy the thing to the max. We have sat down and really number cruched so will be ok now! :thumb
I love sleeping in a confined space with a bucket of wee wee.

I love sleeping in a confined space with a bucket of wee wee.
Nothing says style and class more than sleeping in a £50k Van and weeing in a 99p bucket. But if ya gotta to go, you gotta go! :thumb

Hello Cali bunch,

So my cali will be here in a few weeks (i hope) so buying some accessories so the're here when my cali turns up but theres literally millions of them!

So rather than asking, what accessories do you recommend, thought asking another way will really narrow it down so;

Apart from Pillows and a quilt/ sleeping bag, what ONE accessory could you not live without?
The wife

Nothing says style and class more than sleeping in a £50k Van and weeing in a 99p bucket. But if ya gotta to go, you gotta go! :thumb
We have had our Cali coming up three years and have camped as a family of 4 for many nights. We have never pee’d in a bucket.

scented candles ( for the bucket/peecontainer situation)

fire extinguisher

could use contents of bucket if a fire though

sorry, thats two items. will rethink this one :cheers

Absolutely nothing at all. A Cali is such a smart build and has so many features already thought of you can live with it without any additional 'must haves'.

Just find out what is missing (if ever) in the next year and enjoy what is already there. Most must-haves are quite expensive and I see too many of my friends buying things other people say they need.

Your own experience is what counts. Nothing else matters. (humming)

We have had our Cali coming up three years and have camped as a family of 4 for many nights. We have never pee’d in a bucket.
Yes ,can inagine it being far too cramped with 4 to have that option, not to mention the spill potrntial :eek:

scented candles ( for the bucket/peecontainer situation)

fire extinguisher

could use contents of bucket if a fire though

sorry, thats two items. will rethink this one :cheers
Hahah, made me giggle that one, or two haha

You'll be able to use your Beach straight out of the box without any accessories with the exception of the charging lead and adapter plug. You'll need this at home to recharge you leisure battery once a month for 12 - 24 hours. Take it away with you and plug it into the EHU and you should be able to boil a kettle, make toast or watch a DVD but not all at the same time (subject to you having the necessary hardware of course).

As others have said take stuff from home until you find out what you need then asked on here for advice on the best options for that specific requirement. We have purchased numerous different devices to cook on and they all have their merits but my point is that you tend to refine your requirements over time and what you thought you would need often turns out to be over kill. We still use them all for different specific uses and occasions but for everyday basic use we carry a simple Campingaz single burner cooker which runs directly from a Campingaz 907 in both of our vehicles. These are contained in Really Useful Boxes along with other basic picnic hardware. You can make a brew and cook pretty much any simple simple meal on that. They are cheap (around £20 - £25), robust, very powerful and take up very little space.

image.jpeg

Other essentials contained in these boxes are a tin opener, sharp knife, chopping board, eating irons, basic crockery, mugs, condiments and the all important bottle opener/cork screw all of which you should be able to source from home.

Keep it simple.

Last edited:
Ha ha I wasn't taking the kids into consideration, was I?! Maybe invest in a Portapotti then no accidental spillage!!!

Glad you've got the finances sorted. Your wife was right - the fun you will have and the memories you and your family will make will be worth every penny you have to scrimp and save.

As for forgetting things, make a camping list template. My family think I'm a complete anorak, but a couple of minutes ticking things off the standard list before you go can save a lot of trips to the shops (though when our lad was little we did discover he didn't have any shoes … that was an expensive mistake!).

Your wife shouldn't need the rabbit a) she's got you and b) camping with kids. Nuff said.

A mattress topper if you plan on sleeping downstairs and one doesn’t come with the van. Doesn’t have to be an expensive one but a cheapy from Dunelm.

Back