Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Increased Oil Consumption Problem (2010 T5 Cali 180 bhp)

Crikey - 120mph - didn't know they went that fast. I'm happy at 70mph - blame that on my stingy Scottish skinflint ancestry.

I had my D cooler fitted at Retro Resus, even though they are over 250 miles away. They really know their stuff, and their labour charges are far lower than main dealers. They came highly recommended - deservedly so.

I just wanted to see what it would do, it didnt feel incredibly happy at that speed to be honest, but certainly felt like it could sit all day at 100mph. (i was still the slowest car on the Autobahn!)

Thanks for the info, but I've still heard that the replacement is a big job both in parts and labour and so looking at ways to remove the EGR issue all together ideally, especialy given even some of the new T6's seem to have issues. Can I ask what you paid all in, ballpark?

It was about £600 or so, if I recall.

They recommended EGR blanking and DPF removal, but I was fearful of future MOT checks. Not easy to replace a gutted DPF.

If you are considering the blank and delete route, do be aware that the Government is well aware of the DPF having its innards removed. It is looking at including a more detailed inspection and performance check of the DPF to be included in the MOT in the near future.

Personally, I do not want to be the one responsible for the serious illness of a child at a school I drive past regularly and so have left my exhaust as standard.

Alan

My understanding is that the EGR can be deleted/blanked and the DPF remains intact/untouched.. but clearly has less work to do as the fuel is burnt more efficiently meaning reduced particulates (albeit potentially increased NOx)

My understanding is that the EGR can be deleted/blanked and the DPF remains intact/untouched.. but clearly has less work to do as the fuel is burnt more efficiently meaning reduced particulates (albeit potentially increased NOx)
Blanking or Deleting the EGR does NOT get rid of the EGR cooler. The DPF and EGR work together. Getting rid of the EGR function means the DPF must be removed or drilled out and electronically deleted.
New MOT standards due to be implemented this year could well be expensive if you go down that path.

Appreciate your thoughts on it WelshGas. Wondered if there is anyone in the wider group with a 2011/2012 180 BiTurbo that has done over 40000 miles and has no oil consumption issues....?? Anyone??

Appreciate your thoughts on it WelshGas. Wondered if there is anyone in the wider group with a 2011/2012 180 BiTurbo that has done over 40000 miles and has no oil consumption issues....?? Anyone??

Ours is ok on 46k.
At least yearly oil changes and only using premium brand fuels so perhaps that has a bearing on it?

Mine suddenly started using oil at 84k and I had to have a new engine fitted at 96k at a cost of £7.5k.

Alan

Hi All,
I am hoping to join the Cali family and have seen one i really like with this engine.

I have read through this post and a few others and looked at other manufacturers that have had diesel engine issues.
It seems that the Cali and Transporter are not high on the list of vehicles with engine issues (although some Audi's are).

I don't know if the engine is the same, but the Transporter sportline has a 178BHP twin turbo engine and i have seen a few of these over the last few months with between 90k and 180k miles.
Now i haven't contacted the sellers to see if they have had engine replacements/repairs, but I would suspect that a guy in a sporty van with a sporty engine, is going to be quite heavy on the loud pedal.

If they are the same engine, it seems the can do a few miles.

Hi All,
I am hoping to join the Cali family and have seen one i really like with this engine.

I have read through this post and a few others and looked at other manufacturers that have had diesel engine issues.
It seems that the Cali and Transporter are not high on the list of vehicles with engine issues (although some Audi's are).

I don't know if the engine is the same, but the Transporter sportline has a 178BHP twin turbo engine and i have seen a few of these over the last few months with between 90k and 180k miles.
Now i haven't contacted the sellers to see if they have had engine replacements/repairs, but I would suspect that a guy in a sporty van with a sporty engine, is going to be quite heavy on the loud pedal.

If they are the same engine, it seems the can do a few miles.

What year is it?

Personally I wouldn’t risk buying a 2010/2011 180bhp Cali, shame to say it but buying 2nd hand there are plenty of other options.

Unless budgeting to possibly replace the engine at some point.

Not saying all will get the problem of course.

What year is it?

Personally I wouldn’t risk buying a 2010/2011 180bhp Cali, shame to say it but buying 2nd hand there are plenty of other options.

Unless budgeting to possibly replace the engine at some point.

Not saying all will get the problem of course.

Hi Reserves,
It's a 2012 on a 61 plate so still within the "suspect" age range I guess.

The engine change cost is a possible bargaining tool , & having it done doesn't put me off as I have done it on other cars.

My better half is a bit more gun ho- so I need to temper her enthusiasm if it's not the right one.

Cheers

Hi Reserves,
It's a 2012 on a 61 plate so still within the "suspect" age range I guess.

The engine change cost is a possible bargaining tool , & having it done doesn't put me off as I have done it on other cars.

My better half is a bit more gun ho- so I need to temper her enthusiasm if it's not the right one.

Cheers
The problem is supposed to affect Model Years 2010/2011 so any vehicle manufactured between July 2009 to June 2011 is suspect.
Registration date could be significantly different to Manufacture Date.

What milage has the vehicle done? Will the seller confirm in writing the Oil consumption?

As long as you go into it with your eyes open and fully aware they are a great drive.

The problem is supposed to affect Model Years 2010/2011 so any vehicle manufactured between July 2009 to June 2011 is suspect.
Registration date could be significantly different to Manufacture Date.

What milage has the vehicle done? Will the seller confirm in writing the Oil consumption?

As long as you go into it with your eyes open and fully aware they are a great drive.

Hi WelshGas,

yes i suspect it does fall within the 2010-2011 period, but not sure how i would go about checking the manufacture date- VIN number?

The Van has done 48k miles, so just coming up to the time its likely to fail (if its going to fail).
I'll check with the seller about getting written confirmation of oil usage, and see if they would be happy to warranty the engine for 12 moths or X number of miles.

I think the safest option is to leave the wife at home when i go to view, so she doesn't fall in love and badger me into something i may otherwise regret.

Be careful. New MOT checks mean that testing stations will now be looking for evidence of any tampering of the DPF and by definition possibly the EGR.
Here is the Link to new testing regime of diesel vehicles https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018

Hi VW Owners
I have joined today for advice on the excessive use of oil on a T5 180 bi turdo diesel engine . WE have an Edtion 25 caravelle 2012 70k miles . We have just done a 2000 mile round trip and have used 6 litres of oil ??? fgs ! The car was heating up and the oil /coolant lights continually coming on on our outward journey to Austria whilst we were there we had the car looked at by a VW garage and they said that we need to contact VW when we get home and that we really need a new engine . So The car has been to our local VW dealer tested ( nothing conclusive as yet ) levels topped up and we now have to run it for 1000km or the oil light comes on ( which ever is first ) and take it back to them I have been busy reading forums / face book pages etc re this problem and it seems that it is common in this model / year of VW and I just wondered if anyone had had any advice or had been successfull in claiming from VW
Thanks in advance
Jayne

We looked at that exact year / model as a conversion base, but purchased our California Beach instead. The guy who was selling the one we looked at had had a replacement engine fitted 6 months before we viewed. The original quote from VW for replacement was around £9k, but he argued with VW and he ended up paying £2k in total.

Doesn't sound very hopeful I'm afraid. The Facebook group is more knowledgeable and less in denial than some of the members here.
Do you know what suffix your egr valve has? (there is a pinned post on the Facebook group showing how to read this).

I’m not quite sure why you would have to replace the whole engine just because the oil consumption was excessive. There are normally 2 things that cause high oil consumption. 1 is the piston oil rings are worn allowing oil to get past and 2 the cylinder head valve seals. None of these jobs are particularly easy to do but neither warrant fitting a new engine.....Obviously there are other things that could be wrong but these are the 2 main reasons......

I’m not quite sure why you would have to replace the whole engine just because the oil consumption was excessive. There are normally 2 things that cause high oil consumption. 1 is the piston oil rings are worn allowing oil to get past and 2 the cylinder head valve seals. None of these jobs are particularly easy to do but neither warrant fitting a new engine.....Obviously there are other things that could be wrong but these are the 2 main reasons......
The cylinders are deeply scored by ingesting oxidised and hardened aluminium particles. (think carborundum). In early models, there was a problem with the strength of the cylinder block too. All the cases seem to involve new short engines.

Now I looked into the problems I can see it is a deep routed problem mainly with the 180 engine for some reason. My heart goes out to these people that have inherited this problem especially when they have paid out for VW to service their vehicles....

Back