Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Increased Oil Consumption Problem (2010 T5 Cali 180 bhp)

My experts believe this is definitely a root cause. In fact, they said if EGR valve was working OK, the corrosion may not even occur. Somewhat irrelevant I guess IF the valve and cooler are all one part these days - do we know that? I ask because a mate of mine is paying an extra £400 for the valve replacement in addition to the cooler replacement.
Interesting as there was a problem with the EGR valves fitted to 2010/2011 engines with early mechanical failure and many replaced under warranty.

I think the parts can be got separately but normally replaced together as easier.

It's not clear to me whether all "pre-D" 180s are doomed to early life engine failure?

Are there lots of examples of high mileage "pre-D" 180s with regular oil consumption out there. or do we only get to hear about the problem ones?

Some more EGR autopsy pictures from the TX forum for your viewing pleasure.

This first set is a C cooler from 2012 after approx. 80,000 km. The owner had no oil consumption issues but changed it as a precaution. It has been cleaned by bead blasting.

01.jpg

02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
This second set is quite interesting, taken from a mid 2012 vehicle at 78,500 km. A non-suffix cooler, also changed as a precaution, with no EGR failure. It has been quickly cleaned up by brushing. The condition is quite good, which makes me think that the the driving profile (style and distance) may be a factor.

20170317_140215.jpg
20170317_140244.jpg
20170317_140303.jpg

It's not clear to me whether all "pre-D" 180s are doomed to early life engine failure?

Are there lots of examples of high mileage "pre-D" 180s with regular oil consumption out there. or do we only get to hear about the problem ones?
The problem ones.

Do we have anyone on the forum who has a high mileage "pre-D" 180?

We probably won't get an answer because anyone potentially impacted thinks this thread is not relevant to them :(.

Do we have anyone on the forum who has a high mileage "pre-D" 180?

We probably won't get an answer because anyone potentially impacted thinks this thread is not relevant to them :(.
Depends what you mean by " High Milage ".

On our 2012 180se with an "A" having no high oil use at 63k.When we sold it. Discussed with possible buyer who was planning on buying from main dealer who we sold it to, it's history. Due to issues with 180's he decided to pull out of the deal after getting a compression test which showed issues. Since then the van is no longer being advertised by the dealer. Our van was used daily and I would say not for short trips and run at speed when touring. Never run on supermarket fuels.
Our van showed no symptoms of engine wear or oil use but there appears that it could be on the verge of becoming issue.

Thanks Meoncoast.

Is there a single example of a "pre-D" 180 that has clocked say 75k miles without an issue? Or maybe even 100k+ miles without issues. If not then it's time to get really worried don't you think?

When this issue kicks in it is quite sudden. It happened to us halfway down the A10 in France. The van had done 85K miles at that point. The original 2010 engine and EGR cooler which was a non suffix version.

Alan

Anyone who has had a new engine, exactly what did you get?
New turbos etc or just the engine.

Anyone who has had a new engine, exactly what did you get?
New turbos etc or just the engine.
Base engine plus complete EGR plus water pump...CAT, lamba sensor, software, not turbos.

As AlanC states, when you get the problem it comes on very very fast, between going through the tunnel and arriving at Trier, Germany in 2015 my engine imploded re oil usage. Then fed it Oil daily down through France and the Iberian peninsula and back up the the ferry at Santander. 5lt after 5lt, it consumed.

Ok thanks for the info.
Surprised no need turbos as with all this crap in the oil it won't have done them much good.

Ok thanks for the info.
Surprised no need turbos as with all this crap in the oil it won't have done them much good.
If that is the cause!

Well that should have read "new" turbos.
The point I'm making is that it seems that most oil is contaminated. As the turbos rely heavily on an oil feed for lubrication the bearings/seals will have been exposed to the contamination in the oil which may lead to premature failure of the turbo/s on the new engine.

Interesting as there was a problem with the EGR valves fitted to 2010/2011 engines with early mechanical failure and many replaced under warranty.

I think the parts can be got separately but normally replaced together as easier.
My mate changed his D type last Friday. Originally the dealer bought just the valve + £250, but then realised they can be sourced together + £750. We will hopefully inspect the internals today (endoscopy type probe will be inserted).

Excuse me if this has been answered before......but here goes.

Has any California owner experienced oil loss (in the time they have owned the vehicle) and if so, what was the diagnosed root cause/corrective action taken?
If I had the right skills, I would start on of those polls I see on here sometimes.

I think although ever case would be different for sure, a collective sense of "do Calis have this issue, should I be worried about this, should I take action" is surely a main reason why a forum such as ours exists (i.e. to help each other).

Kev, I may be wrong (and please correct me if I am), but I don't recall seeing any commentary from the forum administrators on this topic. Do you have any more authoritative information or position you'd like to share? Thanks.

Same here.

Everything that is moved is checked thoroughly before the techs refit them, including the turbos.
I found out the Cambelt and water pump are moved over from the old engine, I though these would have been new and already fitted to the new base engine.

Not an issue for me as they were both changed in 2015, but they did put a new water pump in free of charge as they were worried the old 'one new' one wasn't quite right.

Have only done a gentle 1500 mile currently but the oil is still full and clean-ish. Not using any water either. Does run much better now too.

As an aside;
Given the current pollution response to diesel engines around Europe, it does surprise me that so may folk advocate blanking the ERG valve and cooler and taking the innards out of the DPF and reprogramming the ECU to delete both of these.

Although the process of rerouting the exhaust back through the engine to be re-burnt may be a little suspect from an engineering point of view, what our exhaust pollution is doing to people and children living in city centres is way more of an issue for me.

So I am happy to know that my van is now back being as clean as an Euro5 engine can be, despite the hassles I went through over the last year.

Alan

Some more EGR autopsy pictures from the TX forum for your viewing pleasure.
Do you know what the oil analysis results were like on these two examples, prior to the cooler change?

Thanks.

Last edited:
My mate changed his D type last Friday. Originally the dealer bought just the valve + £250, but then realised they can be sourced together + £750. We will hopefully inspect the internals today (endoscopy type probe will be inserted).
Hi Dave, do you have anymore info on condition of the removed EGR?

Hi Dave, do you have anymore info on condition of the removed EGR?
Sadly not. Not broken open as yet.

On a positive note, had our '2017 sake down' week in the peak district/north Yorkshire last week. Putting EGR questions aside, it was fab and reminded me why we bought this wonderful machine.

My Cali is in for 1st MOT, brake fluid change and EOW health check tomorrow. I will be debating the EGR issue with the dealer, to see if I get any traction there......frankly VWCS are useless, pointless and offensive! Ombudsman complaint pending.

Can anyone help me with what the suffix version on my van is...and if this is even the right thing I photographed? its a 2012.

Need to know if I need to be worried!

Thanks20180124_163632295_iOS.jpg

That's the one. It may or may not be bad. Had that on my van, which still uses zero oil after 38,000 miles. I've never needed to top up. I changed to a D last summer just to be safe.

Lots of factors involved - no one knows for sure. I do regular oil changes, and my driving style is towards the granny end of the spectrum...

Mine has used a little bit recently, mainly after a 4000 mile trip in the summer which involved a short period at 120mph on the Autobahn but quite a few long days at 90mph in high temperatures. Don't get me wrong its certainly not drinking it, its never dropped below the shaded area on the dipstick but I'm at about 37000 miles and my driving is lets says "Sporty" and its my daily driver (for now anyway).

Wondered if someone could clarify (accepting the moral enviromental issues) that if the EGR was just blanked and mapped out would this stop te EGR cooler that everyne is talking about continuing to deposit aluminium?
Would the DPF also need to be bypassed and mapped or can that just be mapped out?
Anyone done this and had any issues at MOT, or forsee any with the new test coming in in May?

Thanks

Back