Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Increased Oil Consumption Problem (2010 T5 Cali 180 bhp)

At the risk of irritating you further WelshGas, would you be so kind to check your version and share with the forum? Thanks.
I will have a look, sometime over the next few days. Pouring with rain here , at the moment.

At the risk of irritating you further WelshGas, would you be so kind to check your version and share with the forum? Thanks.

It certainly won't be a 'D'. My money's on an 'A'.

Here's some more pictures of an EGR autopsy - it ain't pretty:

01.JPG 02.JPG 03.JPG 04.JPG

OMG!!!!! That sort of makes my mind up on option to take. Can you provide any other details in relation to this cooler (e.g. miles down, fitted to what year engine, etc.). Thanks.

No other information yet, apart from the fact that it is the non-suffix version, and it was replaced due to a sticking EGR valve.

Any idea what the difference in a C and a D are in terms of spec.
I have been trying to find our the design evolution of this part via VW.........no luck so far!

I have had a replacement engine, and my suffix was C, and was the original cooler. Van is a 2010 Multivan, and failed the oil consumption test with VW. Failure was at 77000km or 48000 miles. I caught it early at 0.51l/1000km as I knew of the issue due to the Norwegian press and information directly from one of the Norwegian Ambulance builders.

The slides at the bottom of this post came directly from VW, and are the technical update to VW dealer technicians.

https://t5-life.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1

Oil analysis completed on my 3000km old engine, and 28ppm Al, but I'd expect nothing less on an engine thats running in.

https://t5-life.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=45

Invicta oils were surprised to see a private individual bringing in a sample, and have confirmed that they have been testing samples for VW Norway, and sending the results direct to VW Germany.

I will be doing another oil test in 3000km, and hope that the Al levels start to drop.

I will state that I have seen a number of CFCA engined vehicles in the VW dealer having engine replacement under warranty, and outside of warranty. Failed that I have personally seen are no suffix and C suffix. I have a spreadsheet with failed engines, and they are no suffix, A suffix, and C suffix.

Make of it what you will, but there are plenty of owners with high wear metals, and failing / failed engines.

Comparison of wear metals is in the attached file, which came from the cailboard.de and a file containing 180 only.

Attachments

• 20170223_Oelcheck_Gesamt.pdf
    545 KB · Views: 37
  • Auszug aus Oelcheck_Gesamt (1).pdf
    268.5 KB · Views: 18
It certainly won't be a 'D'. My money's on an 'A'.

Here's some more pictures of an EGR autopsy - it ain't pretty:

There is a lot of metal missing from that cooler, where did the pictures come from, and what state was the engine in?

Egr valve & cooler are now one complete part.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

**wild speculation warning**
I'm wondering if the damage (to the cooler) is caused by the valve sticking open? The inability to close the valve would account for the unusual conditions (temperatures and duration) perhaps destroying the fins - that otherwise could cope with the conditions when the valve functions as intended.

The photos referred to above from the German forum do mention it was replaced due to a sticking valve. The various upgrades to the unit (no suffix, /A, /C, /D) may have been working on fixing the sticking valve, as well as keeping the fins in tact (and not into the combustion chambers).

Egr valve & cooler are now one complete part.

Agree, but there have been more changes in EGR valve than EGR Cooler since 2010.

Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 12.53.44.jpg

Do we know under which conditions the egr valve opens? Is it simply throttle? If there was a link to driving style, this may offer some clues.

So short journeys and driving hard should be a good thing in this case, as the EGR value will be closed a lot of the time?

The pics are from here I think:

https://tx-board.de/threads/hoher-oelverbrauch-t5-multivan-132kw.92516/page-279

You will need a login though to view them. The guy that posted them is apparently not the owner of the vehicle but is going to ask them for more info.

That is indeed the source of the pics. The owner has since responded with some more information. The vehicle had done 92,000 km and was using 1 litre of oil every 3000km. Usage was a mixture of long and short journeys, and driving style was normal, but occasionally "sporty".

Perhaps you could get your engine swapped whilst on your Norway trip WG if they are changing them under warranty.
Let me know if you do and we'll have another trip over

Perhaps you could get your engine swapped whilst on your Norway trip WG if they are changing them under warranty.
Let me know if you do and we'll have another trip over
Not using oil and now on 43600 miles, or 69760 km. should reach at least 60,000 miles , or 96,000 km , before warranty runs out with the trips planned this year.

That is indeed the source of the pics. The owner has since responded with some more information. The vehicle had done 92,000 km and was using 1 litre of oil every 3000km. Usage was a mixture of long and short journeys, and driving style was normal, but occasionally "sporty".
Mine was using a litre of oil every 500KM, so I can only imagine the internal state mine must have been in.

**wild speculation warning**
I'm wondering if the damage (to the cooler) is caused by the valve sticking open? The inability to close the valve would account for the unusual conditions (temperatures and duration) perhaps destroying the fins - that otherwise could cope with the conditions when the valve functions as intended.

The photos referred to above from the German forum do mention it was replaced due to a sticking valve. The various upgrades to the unit (no suffix, /A, /C, /D) may have been working on fixing the sticking valve, as well as keeping the fins in tact (and not into the combustion chambers).

My experts believe this is definitely a root cause. In fact, they said if EGR valve was working OK, the corrosion may not even occur. Somewhat irrelevant I guess IF the valve and cooler are all one part these days - do we know that? I ask because a mate of mine is paying an extra £400 for the valve replacement in addition to the cooler replacement.

My experts believe this is definitely a root cause. In fact, they said if EGR valve was working OK, the corrosion may not even occur. Somewhat irrelevant I guess IF the valve and cooler are all one part these days - do we know that? I ask because a mate of mine is paying an extra £400 for the valve replacement in addition to the cooler replacement.
My egr was replaced about 18 months ago. The replacement part was valve & cooler All in one part.

My egr was replaced about 18 months ago. The replacement part was valve & cooler All in one part.

Andy, How much for parts (and labour if you have it). Thx.

Back