Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just announced - T6 recall for roof corrosion beneath the seal

Is your early T6 subject to this recall / VW action

• Yes and tape applied as no corrosion found

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Yes and corrosion found upon inspection

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
Sorry again. Raising roof was displayed as rising rood in my email account.
Its all clear now. I definately dont need to worry about that. Have enough other problems with the van.
Many greetings to all.
Beate

Sorry again. Raising roof was displayed as rising rood in my email account.
Its all clear now. I definately dont need to worry about that. Have enough other problems with the van.
Many greetings to all.
Beate

And welcome.

Mike

As it's been attributed to a reaction between dissimilar metals (if I'm right), is it possible that conversions with a similar roof spec could potentially also have a problem?
Apologies if this has been put to bed elsewhere already.

As it's been attributed to a reaction between dissimilar metals (if I'm right), is it possible that conversions with a similar roof spec could potentially also have a problem?
if its a cali roof then yes

VW have introduced a recall for the well documented issue of roof corrosion / paint bubbling below the seal. The roof will be inspected with the seal removed and if ok protective "foil" will be applied.
I dont have any info regarding what will happen If not ok but I will find out today / tomorrow as my van is being checked for this recall today.

[RSVP=26856]Click here to RSVP[/RSVP]
Hi. Is this for all T6’s or certain models only? We have a 2018 model. Can you perhaps post a picture of where the tape should be if applied?

If the Elevating section of the roof is made of Aluminium, as in the California, then a distinct possibility. Most conversions though have a Fibreglass Elevating Roof so cannot suffer from Galvanic Corrosion but can have their own problems.

Hi. Is this for all T6’s or certain models only? We have a 2018 model. Can you perhaps post a picture of where the tape should be if applied?

All T6’s after Jan 2017. Tape is under the roof seal. You will already have it.

Mike

If the Elevating section of the roof is made of Aluminium, as in the California, then a distinct possibility. Most conversions though have a Fibreglass Elevating Roof so cannot suffer from Galvanic Corrosion but can have their own problems.
Thanks Welshgas. Fingers crossed aluminium retrofit roofs are few and far between.

Thanks Mike. I don’t see tape, but also can’t think that corrosion will happen. The rooftop is not a metal? Will mention it to our dealer anyway- just to have it on record at least.

There’s some pics on here somewhere showing the tape but it’s quite simply tape under the rubber roof seal. It’s either there or not and someone will no doubt correct me but visible without lifting the seal.

Here’s a previous thread on fitting the tape

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/adding-the-3m-tape-to-roof-edges.24514/

Mike
thinks

Thanks Mike. I don’t see tape, but also can’t think that corrosion will happen. The rooftop is not a metal? Will mention it to our dealer anyway- just to have it on record at least.

thinks
If your Elevating Roof is Not Metal then it’s either the first California made without an Aluminium roof or it’s not a California.:thumb

If your Elevating Roof is Not Metal then it’s either the first California made without an Aluminium roof or it’s not a California.:thumb
California coast, brand spanking new. 2018 model- perhaps not necessary to be concerned then afterall.

California coast, brand spanking new. 2018 model- perhaps not necessary to be concerned then afterall.
So it does have the Aluminium roof and around the Elevating section there is a Black rubber seal. The tape should be under that seal.

So it does have the Aluminium roof and around the Elevating section there is a Black rubber seal. The tape should be under that seal.
Pity you’re so far away. Will check it out. Darn- hope it as it all in place

I imagine this is going to be a much looked at thread for early T6 owners and I was wondering if there is a way of summarising what has happened to your van at the beginning of the thread? Something like a poll at the beginning along the lines of:
When you took yours in for the recall did they
1 Find no corrosion and applied tape
2 Found corrosion which will need or has been treated before applying tape.

Just an idea - not sure how these things work.

I imagine this is going to be a much looked at thread for early T6 owners and I was wondering if there is a way of summarising what has happened to your van at the beginning of the thread? Something like a poll at the beginning along the lines of:
When you took yours in for the recall did they
1 Find no corrosion and applied tape
2 Found corrosion which will need or has been treated before applying tape.

Just an idea - not sure how these things work.
Good idea, done

Hi @Sheffield10 unfortunatly that is something you would need to speak to vw customer care about, your dealer will only be able to carry out the work on the vehicles specified by Volkswagen AG according to build date. If the workshop action does not show up against your vehicle then your dealer cannot do anything about it.
Well, a week of waiting for VW customer services to investigate and adjudicate has just ended - with them deciding that missing tape is not a fault (unless the factory has decided based on build date that it is!). My choices now appear to be; do nothing but check for corrosion before the warranty expires, pay VW to apply the missing tape, or DIY. If anyone else has an early 2017 build, I would be interested to know if your roof has tape applied around the entire elevating roof edge, or is it like mine, missing tape along the front edge.

Mine went in for it's fix today. When I arrived they said they had no tape so I would need to complete the process at a later date. They are checking for corrosion today and I pick it up later. Bit puzzled by above post - I'd assumed all the newer vans that are taped are all the way around. Mine is Oct 2016 and am presuming there was no tape (I've never looked under the seal) and they will tape all if nothing found. Do some vans have tape, but not on front?

I've just booked my T5 in at Breeze Totton for a MOT and CamBelt change. They mentioned this recall when I booked so they're going to deal with that at the same time apparently.

Just picked up mine. No corrosion and will call me back when tape is in stock.

Mine's going on for the boot card to be fully fixed - two visits and it is still popping off where the lower portion meets the window surround, so suggested they do this at the same time. Service and seat belt adjuster unjamming too.
I'll update when I get it back.