Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just announced - T6 recall for roof corrosion beneath the seal

Is your early T6 subject to this recall / VW action

• Yes and tape applied as no corrosion found

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Yes and corrosion found upon inspection

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
Our 2016 Beach had been into Birmingham this week, the boot trim replaced under warranty as it keeps popping off, full service, and a couple of other bits.
The recall had been done, no signs of bubbles of corrosion, foil (as they call it) applied.
I'll get to look at it tomorrow.

I've been running a configuration this lunchtime and did notice this which seems a move in the right direction (ie at time of manufacture) at least, but only on Beach?:View attachment 38722

@Borris @Jabberwocky - apologies forgot to follow up, it has seemingly gone off the configurator now.

Chased up a VW tech at my local dealer and apparently it went live on the config' too early - not scheduled for an option until end of first quarter 2019?

:D

Above post (about the roof option in the configurator) must be a spoof surely?!

@Borris @Jabberwocky - apologies forgot to follow up, it has seemingly gone off the configurator now.

Chased up a VW tech at my local dealer and apparently it went live on the config' too early - not scheduled for an option until end of first quarter 2019?

:D
1st April maybe?

It was intended in a jovial spirit! :D

What is not surprising is that some of us (and I happily admit I would have gone with it too) do not consider it beyond the realms of possibility that VW actually would have the audacity to do such a thing and indeed make us pay for half correcting their cr@p design..!

Fresh out of my garage this morning, I thought I’d get the top up and clean under the back of the seal. It looks like there is constantly water within the seal. The van hasn’t seen water for nearly three weeks.

View attachment 38758
I have to say I am not entirely surprised by this water retention. Thermal cycling will have caused water ingress/condensation in any area where air is present that is not sealed. As for it drying out, well, water under a "seal" does not see much, if any, air movement and consequently will not evaporate. Hence the roof edge, with or with tape will be in a permanently wet environment. Must be a design feature.;)

I have to say I am not entirely surprised by this water retention. Thermal cycling will have caused water ingress/condensation in any area where air is present that is not sealed. As for it drying out, well, water under a "seal" does not see much, if any, air movement and consequently will not evaporate. Hence the roof edge, with or with tape will be in a permanently wet environment. Must be a design feature.;)
I take the seal off now every time ive used it, fill up the cats water bowl with it and then dry it on the radiator. Missus isn't very happy though :stop:shocked

Just had my T5 checked and it needs to go into the Body Shop for fixing apparently. I'll get that booked in and see what happens.

Just had my T5 checked and it needs to go into the Body Shop for fixing apparently. I'll get that booked in and see what happens.
Can I ask what it's manufacture month was? We are Dec and I think ours is OK but we will find out soon.

Think it's time to buy shares in bodyshops. They'll have to double capacity to handle all of our roof corrosion this workshop action is going to find.

I received confirmation yesterday, I will be having a new seal fitted due to issues with rust at 11 months old....

I received confirmation yesterday, I will be having a new seal fitted due to issues with rust at 11 months old....
As your Cali is only 11 months old, (Build - November '17), I assume your roof has the tape already fitted by the factory. Can you confirm please?

As your Cali is only 11 months old, (Build - November '17), I assume your roof has the tape already fitted by the factory. Can you confirm please?
Yes it has (except for the front section for some unknown reason).
The steel Banding in the black ‘seal’ had started to corrode and was rubbing at the tape (foil?) Another few months and it would have rubbed through to the roof.

Thanks. Yes, its a bit of a mystery why the front section has not got the tape. I wonder if the earlier, but after Dec '16, fix had the tape on the front section. Must be brave enough and look! (although my leaning is still towards "leave it until just before expiry of warranty then look").

Thanks. Yes, its a bit of a mystery why the front section has not got the tape. I wonder if the earlier, but after Dec '16, fix had the tape on the front section. Must be brave enough and look! (although my leaning is still towards "leave it until just before expiry of warranty then look").
It doesn’t take long to look and treat/prevent any permanent damage.
You could ignore for now but you will most probably be without a van for a long while while they patch it up in the future if it’s discovered to have calirot.

You could ignore for now but you will most probably be without a van for a long while while they patch it up in the future if it’s discovered to have calirot.
Not so. Checked at 3 years - Clear. Will be checked this December year 4 and have the fixed carried out.

I never checked until my last service at 3 years.

I'll take my chances all the same.

Not so. Checked at 3 years - Clear. Will be checked this December year 4 and have the fixed carried out.

I never checked until my last service at 3 years.
I’m sure there are many with no issues just like yourself. However from my point of veiw I am a little more apprehensive after the discovery of rust at such an early age.

Up till now I've had my head truly buried in a bucket of sand. Wishfully thinking/hoping that having a March 17 Calli "with tape" it would be one not to suffer the dreaded roof corrosion, but now reading that a November 17 has been found to be suffering roof pox, the Dilemma now is, "To check, or not to check"!

When will this Saga ever end, I guess probably not until the T7 at the earliest.

I’m sure there are many with no issues just like yourself. However from my point of veiw I am a little more apprehensive after the discovery of rust at such an early age.
Understandable!

Hi SusBus... Is your November 17 a split hob version ? .

I'm sorry l should have written March 17 Calli