Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ordering new Cali but Which engine size please?

Combining the 204ps with the VW-approved 18" wheel/tyre size would give a bigger footprint to help with the extra torque too.

How so, I thought the width of the tyre remains the same at 235. It's only the sidewall that changes to keep the circumference the same ?

How so, I thought the width of the tyre remains the same at 235. It's only the sidewall that changes to keep the circumference the same ?

I'm pretty certain all the VW listed 18" wheel factory options for the California are combined with 255/45 width tyres.

Hi Hector. Awaiting the 204ps 4 Motion with DSG. Going to be my only motor and having had a powerful FWD Touran with DSG opted for the 4WD mainly to help with wheel spin when pulling away and general improvement in road handling. Aimed to future proof the vehicle as much as I could and tried as hard as possible to not be left with the I wish I had feeling. 4WD should get me out of the odd wet field and if we get adventurous enough it might even end up getting shod with winter tyres occasionally.

Weight is an issue with this configuration in so much as no third rail for the 5th seat.
Cali is going to be for just me and management so no compromise. Someone said on here the other day that they considered it the extension on their house, great way of putting it.
We downsized from a house to a city flat 3 years ago so the savings cover the Cali. Yes it's shed loads of money but hey ho!

Rough plan is for the longer trips to be mainly in the Spring/Autumn with summer in the UK. Main plan though is not to have a plan

Mike

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your input.
It must be nice just having made a decision. Each time I have spent a wad on a 'toy' (the Cali would be half-way in this category) I have never really regretted it. Life is for living and what we look back on and smile at are the good experiences and not how many buy-to-lets one has accumulated.

I have to say all you Cali owners and would be-owners seem a chatty lot. I have had lots of good suggestions and comments in just 20 hours. It must be quite good fun when you bump into other owners down the trails. Not literally, of course.

I did notice the extra 80kg of the 4Motion - like having grandma sitting there the whole time.

Now, another thing: I wonder if anyone has a motorbike rack on their vehicle - for the small runabout Yamaha 125 which we have. Maybe I should design one.

I have rented a cali for a week in October from the Van Centre who is trying to put us in our own - they must be confident.

Be aware that all the extra weight of DSG and 4mo reduce the amount you can carry so a small mc may be pushing things a bit, make sure you do the sums:thumb

I suppose it's the variety on offer that is a big part of the appeal. I like the idea of the Solar panel and the wi-fi booster in your spec. list.
Yes, they work very well.
Many campsites, especially abroad, have free WiFi around reception only and you see everyone sat there on their Internet devices. I can log on via the iBoost from the Cali so I can sit in comfort. Other places you can log onto the free Fon signal, very common on the Continent in France, Spain etc: If you are a BT Broadband customer then you are already a member.
The Solar Panel makes life a little easier, as you can often find pitches with no Hook up available on sites that are full otherwise.

Combining the 204ps with the VW-approved 18" wheel/tyre size would give a bigger footprint to help with the extra torque too.

In the dry, yes, but it'll be worse in the wet. Less weight per square inch of contact patch makes for less friction, although you never know to what extent until you try it on the vehicle in question. You would think the extra contact area would compensate for this but it generally doesn't to the same degree lost by the pressure issue.

I'm sure you'd get used to it regardless, a little wheel spin rarely hurt anyone. :D

+1 for what T6 CFO said, I would go for DSG, 4Mo and the biggest engine next time.

On the other hand, solar panels can always be added later if you decide you want them (some swear by them but personally not high up my list as I find the leisure batteries stay quite adequately topped up on the kinds of trips we do).

Hello HP, and welcome :thumb

I had the big engine or small engine dilemma, and then the dealer clarified the big vs small issue by telling me they are exactly the same engine, but the 204 has the bigger turbo, which didn't actually help at all :D

Life is too short. I like a vehicle that has some 'oomph' and this is very much a long-term, last vehicle I'm ever going to buy before I need an electric scooter kind of purchase, so sod it, the 204 it is.

If its any consolation, I too went and dug up the garden once I'd made THAT phone call. I didn't help, I was still terrified and elated beyond belief all at the same time :bananadance

Just go DSG as a priority. Engine size secondary but as big as you can afford.

Make sure that you stay on sites with good facilities and hook up for your first trip away or your management will not enjoy it. Be gentle on yourselves and don't try and do too much.
The more you get used to the van the more adventurous you are likely to be.
Choose places that are near to pubs in case you don't want to cook in the van or the weather is bad.
Good luck
Hi GillianC,
Sitting here with management reading some of the posts. Yours made her laugh - in recognition.
Wise counsel methinks.

telling me they are exactly the same engine, but the 204 has the bigger turbo,
The 204 (and the 180 before it) has 2 Turbos, not a larger single unit.

It's the type of difference that in the end would point to the current 150 (and old 140) needing fewer repairs which will have an increasing importance as the van moves well beyond the warranty period. The better fuel consumption, cheaper insurance etc all point to the price gap narrowing over time as the older vans move into the hands of folks with smaller budgets.

We have the 150 and are very happy with it - 6 speed manual. I'd suggest test driving them all (engine/gearbox combinations) at your local van centre, recognising you may have to drive a transporter as they are unlikely to have Californias with all combinations you are interested in, and then make up your own mind. Hope that helps!

In the dry, yes, but it'll be worse in the wet. Less weight per square inch of contact patch makes for less friction, although you never know to what extent until you try it on the vehicle in question. You would think the extra contact area would compensate for this but it generally doesn't to the same degree lost by the pressure issue.

I'm sure you'd get used to it regardless, a little wheel spin rarely hurt anyone. :D
If you go down the road of sourcing your own (eg 18") wheels and tyres you can select a tyre model with high wet and dry performance.

We have the 150 and are very happy with it...

Thanks. There does seem to be a case for the 150 as squeezing a lot more power out of the same engine with turbos and mapping must eventually affect the reliability. I did have a turbo fail at five years and 50k miles on my Mercedes E320. It was not cheap to fix even though Merc paid half, bless them.

I feel the need to put another point of view . Our Cali is a 2015 140. Contrary to popular rumour, there are no issues with overtaking or problems going up steep hills (think Wrynose/Hardknott Passes here). The choice of engine and other extras is simply down to personal preference - it is not the case that you NEED lots of spec to have a swift journey and a fab time when you arrive. I think a more important issue is whether you cope with camping when the weather turns nasty and with rudimentary toilet facilities if you aren't on a site.

I feel the need to put another point of view . Our Cali is a 2015 140. Contrary to popular rumour, there are no issues with overtaking or problems going up steep hills (think Wrynose/Hardknott Passes here). The choice of engine and other extras is simply down to personal preference - it is not the case that you NEED lots of spec to have a swift journey and a fab time when you arrive. I think a more important issue is whether you cope with camping when the weather turns nasty and with rudimentary toilet facilities if you aren't on a site.

It's largely a case of want not need, but coming from a 77bhp T4 (which had very few real-world speed problems, despite being laden with family, dogs & bikes) 150bhp will be more than enough to push us along. That said, driving in the UK does require more oomph than cruising on the continent so I can understand those that want short overtaking times and a little extra go to get out of tight spots.

If the 204bhp was coming from a 3L motor with a single smaller turbo I might be persuaded but I've never been overwhelmed with VW's attempts to squeeze marketable bhp figures from small diesels. The 204 though is one of their better attempts, with a much wider power-band than earlier engines.

I do indeed understand what you mean. In relaxed holiday mode there is seldom need for much shove - most conveyances have an optimal power unit and the 150 is probably it in this case - As a young 20-odd former 'me', we had a 1969 T2 (I think it was) for over ten years which we used for occasional trips. It could not pull the skin off a glass of hot milk and I remember it was quite hard to get the loaded vehicle up to the legal limit. That did not dent our enjoyment of the thing one tiny bit. I fervently wish we had not got rid now though! Since the world has moved on and since more power is an option and since I intend to use this to replace my E320 I am attracted to the option.

It's largely a case of want not need, but coming from a 77bhp T4 (which had very few real-world speed problems, despite being laden with family, dogs & bikes) 150bhp will be more than enough to push us along. That said, driving in the UK does require more oomph than cruising on the continent so I can understand those that want short overtaking times and a little extra go to get out of tight spots.

If the 204bhp was coming from a 3L motor with a single smaller turbo I might be persuaded but I've never been overwhelmed with VW's attempts to squeeze marketable bhp figures from small diesels. The 204 though is one of their better attempts, with a much wider power-band than earlier engines.

Thanks. My wife has a R-Line Polo (cracking wee car) which is supercharged and turbocharged and feels like a 2-litre - it is the higher power option but paradoxically, the smallest engine at 1200cc. The move towards smaller engines working harder, driven by high oil costs of the last decade is industry-wide. Something to do with avoiding throttling losses apparently.

Now that I have a spanking new Beach, my imoressions:

1. It's a van and drives like one.

2. It's nowhere near a premium 4x4 like an X5.

3. Certainly no where near a luxury sedan like a BMw 750i, or Audi S8.

4. Certainly no Lamborghini Huracan, Audi R8 V10, even bog standard Porsche 911.

But:

5. Drives v well for van. I have 7 seater Beach 150bhp DSG. No issuea except that sometimes I swerve tad because I forget I am not helm of 400bhp X5! But the fact that I forget tells me how easy it really is.

6. It is the first non 4wd or Quattro car I have had since I sold my 750i. I don't notice much of a difference.

7. It gives you so many options that other 4x4 do not. It's a veritable compact office/London apartment on wheels!

8. Nobody really notices it but other van drivers and lorries let you in! You get free membership of brotherhood/sisterhood of van/lorry drivers.

9. Beach more basic and if you spec it up you get close to basic Ocean prices or more. Question is do you want more than 4 seats and 4 Motion. If you so, then Beach is only option. I wanted higher spec of the Ocean plus the extra space and seats of the Beach. The latter won out. Our seats were today removes by leather upholsterer and should be returned and refitted on weekend. I am expecting a Bentley like finish!

If I were you, I would read the Top Gear review of their Ben Navis trip in July 2016. Having owned an Ocean for 18 months they seem to actually prefer the Beach.

There are obviously some electronic creature comforts missing compared to a luxury 4x4 (the right comparison in terms of price!).

But it rolls much less than a Land Rover Disco....even easily motion sick passengers who can't stand LR Discos have not yet complained.

Missing a few obvious things though:

10. Plush lavatory. However, (call of) Nature an alternative, or the nearest pub, or services.

11. No butler.

12. No French maid.

13. No bikini clad surfer babes with wind swept looks and carefree demeanour. And you won't be attracting any.

With sky high and mad residuals not as much of a cost that one may imagine.

Good luck, and if you find any of 13 send em mt way!

9. Beach more basic and if you spec it up you get close to basic Ocean prices or more. Question is do you want more than 4 seats and 4 Motion. If you so, then Beach is only option.
Sorry, the Beach is not 4 motion.

Sorry, the Beach is not 4 motion.

Since you have been member for 2 years and I only had my Beach since 03 Sept I shall defer to age and wisdom.

My misimpression that it could be had in 4 Motion. I am sure I have seen Caravelles in 4 Motion, plus I think Kave here has a 4 Motion Beach.

But then again he is un Sweden and Europeans get a lot of things we think are mathematically impossible. Like trains running on time.....

So it might be a UK only restriction, in a "From Germany with love."

Thanks. My wife has a R-Line Polo (cracking wee car) which is supercharged and turbocharged and feels like a 2-litre - it is the higher power option but paradoxically, the smallest engine at 1200cc. The move towards smaller engines working harder, driven by high oil costs of the last decade is industry-wide. Something to do with avoiding throttling losses apparently.

The combo of forced induction petrol engine and small car has always been :D :D :D The problem is they're hopeless for larger vehicles as they guzzle fuel when specced up to deal with the weight.

Now a 3L turbo-diesel wouldn't exactly be frugal but I can't help feeling it would be the best choice in terms of grunt vs long-term reliability, cost and complexity.

The combo of forced induction petrol engine and small car has always been :D :D :D The problem is they're hopeless for larger vehicles as they guzzle fuel when specced up to deal with the weight.

Now a 3L turbo-diesel wouldn't exactly be frugal but I can't help feeling it would be the best choice in terms of grunt vs long-term reliability, cost and complexity.

My Dad, a retired diesel engine designer, says of small capacity high bhp engines.
"A merry life, but a short one"

Back