Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ordering new Cali but Which engine size please?

We are having a similar debate, ours comes out at 54K 150 dsg led etc. But like you we have never been campers or even Glampers and the lack of a loo / shower is putting us off taking the plunge !

Several things:
The baby boomers are now facing retirement.
Middle income taxpayers have have been violated in the last 8 years and it does not seem to be getting much better. Aspirations need adjusting.
Sterling has been through the wringer - it will take years to regain lost ground
Airports and everything to do with them are becoming harder to tolerate.
The rest of the wider world is less predictable and less safe.
Capital languishes and withers in most bank accounts.

Perhaps VW are on to this? Their steep price rises of recent years suggest so. There is a point where people will walk away and they must be getting close.

It is mainly versatility of this machine which can justify the price tag aided by the longevity and the residuals.

Before we take the plunge, we are renting a Califortune for a week to see how we get on. We will not be bounced into making quick decisions by talk of Road Tax rises and the like.

What is clear from this forum is that people do seem to love their machines and use them pretty seriously
but then this is the church of the converted!

We will let you know if we are still married after that week and if the whole idea still seems as appealing.
I have a sneaky suspicion that it will.

Nevee been camper or glamper myself.

But should make it easier to go without loo as you will be less likely to need one...

In addition, if you chose one with loo, it will definitely be full on motorhome from outside. VW Westphalia is the smallest foot print of one I can think of.

In addition, I'd rather not have a loo unless the camper had plenty of space. But then there goes the small footprint.

Not an apologist for lack of loo, but there are good reasons for perhaps not having one. Plus imagine 4 queuing in morning and evening for same!

Some kind correspondent here suggested a Cali review in October's MMM Mag. I bought on and it is a decent review. I bought it partly to see what other machines are out there. There was one based on a Mercedes 18T truck for a cool half-million and it's got a shower too.

And there is the conundrum, is the type of person who can afford a £55000 plus Cali the type of person who will like using one? You may have a 204 ps engine, DSG gearbox, App connect radio and LED headlights but essentially it is a tent on wheels and a certain amount of roughing it is required. Can you go without a wash for a couple of days, can you wee behind a bush, can you live with the never ending dust on hot european camp sites? or noisy neighbours on many campsites both home and abroad? I love roughing it, my 2 children love it too (they hate washing at the best of times) but my wife is not so keen.

Yes your right, having always been a VW lover/ owner over most of my driving life and going to our local VW show every year, oh and just retiring. We always wanted to buy a California but I think most people are trying to live a dream, which maybe not quit real world.

Hello all,
My lovely missus and I are probably going to take the plunge and buy the most expensive vehicle we will ever purchase. I think I have decided on the 4Motion thing (no, but with good winter tyres) BUT... which of the larger engines? Could we respectfully solicit opinions out there?
Looking forward to talking-to/meeting some of you.
We test drove the middle sized engine Ocean before we ordered, and it had plenty of oomph. Mind you, I am used to driving a Toyota IQ and my husband drives a pickup truck, and previously a Landy 110. Needless to say, our expectations were nicely exceeded!

We test drove the middle sized engine Ocean before we ordered, and it had plenty of oomph. Mind you, I am used to driving a Toyota IQ and my husband drives a pickup truck, and previously a Landy 110. Needless to say, our expectations were nicely exceeded!
I think most engines would exceed a Landrover 110:thumb:D

Ha ha don't say that in front of my husband!!! Bloody thing spent more time in the menders than on the road. The L200 isn't quite such a statement on the road, but at least it doesn't break down all the time!
Don't worry I had a 90 , not much better.

Back