Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ordering new Cali but Which engine size please?

So it might be a UK only restriction, in a "From Germany with love."
I think so. There are quite a few variants we miss out on here in the UK.

I have driven both on day long test drives, go for the 204, the Cali is a big lump of a vehicle and you need as much power as possible (especially when fully loaded)

ot sure about 4Motion unless you live in the sticks, just get some good tyres

Perfect vehicle is 204 - 2WD - DSG

Since you have been member for 2 years and I only had my Beach since 03 Sept I shall defer to age and wisdom.

My misimpression that it could be had in 4 Motion. I am sure I have seen Caravelles in 4 Motion, plus I think Kave here has a 4 Motion Beach.

But then again he is un Sweden and Europeans get a lot of things we think are mathematically impossible. Like trains running on time.....

So it might be a UK only restriction, in a "From Germany with love."
It seems the uk market doesnt have Beach with 4motion or 204PS.
In sweden we doesnt have the Beach at all so I had to import it from germany/austria.

To me the bmw x5 is no 5-series either, it drives much worse in the corners or speedbumps. To me the California is somwhere between a Land rover disco and x5 when it comes to handling.

Hector, please write your replies below the last [/quote] otherwise we cant see it as it goes in the quoted text.. :thumb

That's the main reason we've ordered the 204, overtaking with confidence. It will also replace my current XC60 and be the daily driver/family car.

I think what people seem to forget its not the BHP that's important it's the 450Nm of torque! That's more important when overtaking with ease. With a kick down on a DSG, you are always in the correct gear for getting past the "Sunday" drivers or those annoying types that do 45 everywhere even in 20 & 30 speed limits!

Now that I have a spanking new Beach, my imoressions:

1. It's a van and drives like one.

2. It's nowhere near a premium 4x4 like an X5.

3. Certainly no where near a luxury sedan like a BMw 750i, or Audi S8.

4. Certainly no Lamborghini Huracan, Audi R8 V10, even bog standard Porsche 911.

But:

5. Drives v well for van. I have 7 seater Beach 150bhp DSG. No issuea except that sometimes I swerve tad because I forget I am not helm of 400bhp X5! But the fact that I forget tells me how easy it really is.

6. It is the first non 4wd or Quattro car I have had since I sold my 750i. I don't notice much of a difference.

7. It gives you so many options that other 4x4 do not. It's a veritable compact office/London apartment on wheels!

8. Nobody really notices it but other van drivers and lorries let you in! You get free membership of brotherhood/sisterhood of van/lorry drivers.

9. Beach more basic and if you spec it up you get close to basic Ocean prices or more. Question is do you want more than 4 seats and 4 Motion. If you so, then Beach is only option. I wanted higher spec of the Ocean plus the extra space and seats of the Beach. The latter won out. Our seats were today removes by leather upholsterer and should be returned and refitted on weekend. I am expecting a Bentley like finish!

If I were you, I would read the Top Gear review of their Ben Navis trip in July 2016. Having owned an Ocean for 18 months they seem to actually prefer the Beach.

There are obviously some electronic creature comforts missing compared to a luxury 4x4 (the right comparison in terms of price!).

But it rolls much less than a Land Rover Disco....even easily motion sick passengers who can't stand LR Discos have not yet complained.

Missing a few obvious things though:

10. Plush lavatory. However, (call of) Nature an alternative, or the nearest pub, or services.

11. No butler.

12. No French maid.

13. No bikini clad surfer babes with wind swept looks and carefree demeanour. And you won't be attracting any.

With sky high and mad residuals not as much of a cost that one may imagine.

Good luck, and if you find any of 13 send em mt way!

Do you mind me asking how much it costing to have leather fitted & how many seats you have? Can you post some pictures when you get them back please...

I like to drive fairly quickly and I find the 150hp fine. It's a van and haven't felt myself thinking that I really wish I had the extra 54hp.

Sure though that if they did the Beach in 204hp, I would of ordered it!

I have driven both on day long test drives, go for the 204, the Cali is a big lump of a vehicle and you need as much power as possible (especially when fully loaded)

ot sure about 4Motion unless you live in the sticks, just get some good tyres

Perfect vehicle is 204 - 2WD - DSG
From an owner of an SE with 140 ps, I disagree with this we have travelled fully loaded, 2 adults + 2 kids, all camping gear, water tank full, 4 bikes on the back plus a load of food in fridge etc I never felt the vehicle was under powered.

I think what people seem to forget its not the BHP that's important it's the 450Nm of torque!

Bang on. The gobsmacking thing is that the T6 150 DSG is 450kg heavier than my old T4 2.4D....

450kg :eek: That's the same weight as a lightweight car, or two very large motorbikes.

No wonder we need more torque!

Do you mind me asking how much it costing to have leather fitted & how many seats you have? Can you post some pictures when you get them back please...

I shall be happy to let you know cost + quality of work once seats are reinstalled on the weekend.

We have gone for front 2 seats plus 3 seater bench. Could have added the 2 middle seats too but we are not planning on using them too much. If looks silly though, and quality of work good, we will get them done later.

In general most companies charge between 1 and 2k gbp. It's how much they can customise, quality of leather, and how good the job is.

Hector, please write your replies below the last
otherwise we cant see it as it goes in the quoted text.. :thumb[/QUOTE]

Oh, right. Thanks. I wondered what I was doing wrong. Not used to forums as you can probably all tell.

Now that I have a spanking new Beach, my imoressions:

1. It's a van and drives like one.

2. It's nowhere near a premium 4x4 like an X5.

3. Certainly no where near a luxury sedan like a BMw 750i, or Audi S8.

4. Certainly no Lamborghini Huracan, Audi R8 V10, even bog standard Porsche 911.

But:

5. Drives v well for van. I have 7 seater Beach 150bhp DSG. No issuea except that sometimes I swerve tad because I forget I am not helm of 400bhp X5! But the fact that I forget tells me how easy it really is.

6. It is the first non 4wd or Quattro car I have had since I sold my 750i. I don't notice much of a difference.

7. It gives you so many options that other 4x4 do not. It's a veritable compact office/London apartment on wheels!

8. Nobody really notices it but other van drivers and lorries let you in! You get free membership of brotherhood/sisterhood of van/lorry drivers.

9. Beach more basic and if you spec it up you get close to basic Ocean prices or more. Question is do you want more than 4 seats and 4 Motion. If you so, then Beach is only option. I wanted higher spec of the Ocean plus the extra space and seats of the Beach. The latter won out. Our seats were today removes by leather upholsterer and should be returned and refitted on weekend. I am expecting a Bentley like finish!

If I were you, I would read the Top Gear review of their Ben Navis trip in July 2016. Having owned an Ocean for 18 months they seem to actually prefer the Beach.

There are obviously some electronic creature comforts missing compared to a luxury 4x4 (the right comparison in terms of price!).

But it rolls much less than a Land Rover Disco....even easily motion sick passengers who can't stand LR Discos have not yet complained.

Missing a few obvious things though:

10. Plush lavatory. However, (call of) Nature an alternative, or the nearest pub, or services.

11. No butler.

12. No French maid.

13. No bikini clad surfer babes with wind swept looks and carefree demeanour. And you won't be attracting any.

With sky high and mad residuals not as much of a cost that one may imagine.

Good luck, and if you find any of 13 send em mt way!

re No. 13. What makes you so sure... that I won't be?
Congrats on your new vehicle. V interesting about the seats. I was surprised when the Van Centre told me I could have only cloth or that other fake leather stuff. Nothing beats the real thing.

I shall be happy to let you know cost + quality of work once seats are reinstalled on the weekend.

We have gone for front 2 seats plus 3 seater bench. Could have added the 2 middle seats too but we are not planning on using them too much. If looks silly though, and quality of work good, we will get them done later.

In general most companies charge between 1 and 2k gbp. It's how much they can customise, quality of leather, and how good the job is.

Cheers, I look forward to the photos.

I want leather but I want it to look like its come from the factory, not done by some pimp my ride shop. I would like to see the optional factory leather that you can get in the Caravelle, I'm sure that would be nice in a California..

Cheers, I look forward to the photos.

I want leather but I want it to look like its come from the factory, not done by some pimp my ride shop. I would like to see the optional factory leather that you can get in the Caravelle, I'm sure that would be nice in a California..

Yes, makes sense.

The people we are using are used by Mercedes themselves. They drove up and showed us one of their cars. It looked like a Mercedes from outside, but Bentley inside!

I am afraid I do like high quality leather. But not sure real nappa leather was on offer. All leather had a pattern to it, while some of my cars with the finest nappa leather are so smooth that no pattern or creasing is visible.

Bang on. The gobsmacking thing is that the T6 150 DSG is 450kg heavier than my old T4 2.4D....

450kg :eek: That's the same weight as a lightweight car, or two very large motorbikes.

No wonder we need more torque!
Are you sure you've got the decimal point in the correct place there?

re No. 13. What makes you so sure... that I won't be?
Congrats on your new vehicle. V interesting about the seats. I was surprised when the Van Centre told me I could have only cloth or that other fake leather stuff. Nothing beats the real thing.

On Number 13: pretty sure about that. If you do, ot will be reasons other than Cali!

Yes, irritating that they do not do leather on Calis. Beach has no option for other than fabric, and even Ocean leather option looks fake leather.

I can tell you the dark fabric in the Beach as well a magnet for dirt that cannot be brushed off. I have seen Cali owners with 16 Reg cars the inside fabric of which looks like a gardener's working van.

Seat covers are a must, not just for spills but every day dust etc.

I tried v hard to get Mercedes dealers to get me info/hands on a Mercedes Marco Polo....been waiting patiently for 2 months.

They returned the call yesterday and wondered whether I would like a test drive of....their new Mercedes AMG GT. They claim not as fast or powerful as my other car, but well worth a test drive!

Are you sure you've got the decimal point in the correct place there?

2,118kg vs 2,562kg (150 DSG) = 444kg.

I've since discovered the T6 figure includes a 75kg driver and 50kg of fuel, but that still adds up to 320kg (and I'm not even sure the T4 figures didn't include the same add-ons).

Hi GillianC,
Sitting here with management reading some of the posts. Yours made her laugh - in recognition.
Wise counsel methinks.

I see that you are in Guildford Hector. There are a few of us around the hants/Surrey area.
I think that you said you were heading north but if you have any spare time, I recommend the camping and caravan club site at Chichester which isn't too far. You can park up and there is a pub next door, a fabulous farm shop just down the road and bus and train links to gunwharf Quays (good for shopping, might please management :)) one way and Chichester the other.
You dont have to be a member to book..

I see that you are in Guildford Hector. There are a few of us around the hants/Surrey area.
I think that you said you were heading north but if you have any spare time, I recommend the camping and caravan club site at Chichester which isn't too far. You can park up and there is a pub next door, a fabulous farm shop just down the road and bus and train links to gunwharf Quays (good for shopping, might please management :)) one way and Chichester the other.
You dont have to be a member to book..

Hi GillianC, Thanks for that, If we have a day left over in the South before returning the rental vehicle, we might give that a go. We are committed to heading N this time though. Good test for the auto-windscreen wipers.

My two penny worth.

Seriously look at the forum used section and save yourself the 50% depreciation over a few years ( £20,000 plus ).Cali's don't seem to drop much in value after the initial depreciation so have pretty good residuals after this point so are a pretty safe bet if after a couple of years your circumstances change, you decide you don't like it or you decide to trade in or up.
Maintenance is the name of the game with all vehicles and you can buy a lot of maintenance with £20k plus.
Transporters are commercial vehicles and are capable of galactic space miles with correct maintenance so don't be put off by mileage.
We bought our used 2007 Cali 2.5 173 Tiptronic with 78,000 on the clock 3 years ago and apart from the usual maintenance costs there have been no issues.Been back and fo the South of France many times in it.

Whatever you decide---good luck : ) and happy touring.

My two penny worth.

Seriously look at the forum used section and save yourself the 50% depreciation over a few years ( £20,000 plus ).Cali's don't seem to drop much in value after the initial depreciation so have pretty good residuals after this point so are a pretty safe bet if after a couple of years your circumstances change, you decide you don't like it or you decide to trade in or up.
Maintenance is the name of the game with all vehicles and you can buy a lot of maintenance with £20k plus.
Transporters are commercial vehicles and are capable of galactic space miles with correct maintenance so don't be put off by mileage.
We bought our used 2007 Cali 2.5 173 Tiptronic with 78,000 on the clock 3 years ago and apart from the usual maintenance costs there have been no issues.Been back and fo the South of France many times in it.

Whatever you decide---good luck : ) and happy touring.

You are correct in everything you say. Normally I my views would be exactly coincident. The difference here is that this is one of the most 'emotional' buying decisions - and largest - we have done in our lives. We won't be doing it again - or upgrading in a few years for a later spec. We are likely to become that slow-driving doddery old couple in a twenty-year old Cali - in twenty years time, if we are spared - having had a wealth of fun with the thing and it having become almost part of us. We would like to be able to loan it out to the grown-up kids and their partners (judiciously) and just allow this versatile vehicle to enhance our lives. Romantic and a bit daft financially, I admit, but that is why we thought that we might as well spec it out of it's head, get the colour we decide upon and launch off with a dollop of faith. Every mark, scratch and stain will be our own and will hopefully have a nice memory to go with it. Thinking back over the years, I have made decisions with the heart but far more with the head. The ones that have brought the most fun and colour to life have been the former.

You are correct in everything you say. Normally I my views would be exactly coincident. The difference here is that this is one of the most 'emotional' buying decisions - and largest - we have done in our lives. We won't be doing it again - or upgrading in a few years for a later spec. We are likely to become that slow-driving doddery old couple in a twenty-year old Cali - in twenty years time, if we are spared - having had a wealth of fun with the thing and it having become almost part of us. We would like to be able to loan it out to the grown-up kids and their partners (judiciously) and just allow this versatile vehicle to enhance our lives. Romantic and a bit daft financially, I admit, but that is why we thought that we might as well spec it out of it's head, get the colour we decide upon and launch off with a dollop of faith. Every mark, scratch and stain will be our own and will hopefully have a nice memory to go with it. Thinking back over the years, I have made decisions with the heart but far more with the head. The ones that have brought the most fun and colour to life have been the former.

Interesting.

I always used to buy cars 1 to 3 years old with high spec but last 2 cars have been spanking new.

Previous one is perfect but unthrilling. First BMW I ever bought with less than V8 engine or nappa leather etc.

Now the Cali. But I was put off having to buy a van that had suffered so little in depreciation.

Residuals strong enough to buy new if one can accept some loss.

Exactly, a 3/4 year-old with 50-70k is not as good 'value' as a new one but shhh... don't tell VW!

Back