Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ordering new Cali but Which engine size please?

We won't be doing it again - or upgrading in a few years for a later spec. We are likely to become that slow-driving doddery old couple in a twenty-year old Cali - in twenty years time, if we are spared - having had a wealth of fun with the thing and it having become almost part of us. We would like to be able to loan it out to the grown-up kids and their partners (judiciously) and just allow this versatile vehicle to enhance our lives. Romantic and a bit daft financially, I admit, but that is why we thought that we might as well spec it out of it's head, get the colour we decide upon and launch off with a dollop of faith. Every mark, scratch and stain will be our own and will hopefully have a nice memory to go with it. Thinking back over the years, I have made decisions with the heart but far more with the head. The ones that have brought the most fun and colour to life have been the former.

We're in exactly the same boat. As long as she keeps rolling then she's a keeper. The kids are 9 & 6 at the moment, and I'm sure they will remember Rosie Too long after they've flown the coup. :D

Mine 9 and 4, red Cali too, and both of you have explained the motivation perfectly.

We're in exactly the same boat. As long as she keeps rolling then she's a keeper. The kids are 9 & 6 at the moment, and I'm sure they will remember Rosie Too long after they've flown the coup. :D
'Rosie'... That's sweet.
You might have started another conversation here; the business of naming your Cali. And whether they are 'male' or 'female' (I guess, these days, that would not matter - in fact, they are probably allowed to marry each other and adopt). I had already bandied 'Shackleton' around in my head, has a whiff of the stalwart about it. Err... perhaps these thoughts are best left in the drawer until we can announce that we have ordered one?

'Rosie'... That's sweet.
You might have started another conversation here; the business of naming your Cali. And whether they are 'male' or 'female' (I guess, these days, that would not matter - in fact, they are probably allowed to marry each other and adopt). I had already bandied 'Shackleton' around in my head, has a whiff of the stalwart about it. Err... perhaps these thoughts are best left in the drawer until we can announce that we have ordered one?

Since you have looked 20 years into the future and seeen yourself as doddery old pensioner slowing down traffic, may I suggest:

"FutureSlowPensionerMobile"

Sorry, but I had exactly same thoughts as you but have already copyrighted, IP rights, and trademark on

"OldFartMobile"

My other cars are all "MidLifeCrisesMobileNumberX".

If you get passed in your Cali by man in fake orange tan, bulging muscles, aviator glasses, plastic surgery from top California surgeon, in the blingest possible Italian super car, in 20 years time, know that it will be moi!

In my "LateLifeCrisesMobileNumberY", in which I shall rage, rage, against the dying of the light.

Since you have looked 20 years into the future and seeen yourself as doddery old pensioner slowing down traffic, may I suggest:

"FutureSlowPensionerMobile"

Sorry, but I had exactly same thoughts as you but have already copyrighted, IP rights, and trademark on

"OldFartMobile"

My other cars are all "MidLifeCrisesMobileNumberX".

If you get passed in your Cali by man in fake orange tan, bulging muscles, aviator glasses, plastic surgery from top California surgeon, in the blingest possible Italian super car, in 20 years time, know that it will be moi!

In my "LateLifeCrisesMobileNumberY", in which I shall rage, rage, against the dying of the light.

Hmmm. 'OFM'/'SPM' Demographics will ensure there will be more and more of these around. As for the mid-life thing, well, dodged that one nicely. Unless you count the big motorcycle.
In your case you seem to be keeping you options open and have a foot in both camps.
Rage on..., rage right on.

Hmmm. 'OFM'/'SPM' Demographics will ensure there will be more and more of these around. As for the mid-life thing, well, dodged that one nicely. Unless you count the big motorcycle.
In your case you seem to be keeping you options open and have a foot in both camps.
Rage on..., rage right on.

I wanted the Big Motorbike.

Was shouted down by extended family. Then being the no affairs, no cars, no ostentation type, bought oh about 6 cars in a year or so!

Tried my best to get them as nondescript as possible but try that on big bhp.

Just when I was over them, fell for a much blinger supercar.....

Utgh, great car though! Still have it.

Now just want to maintain climb, if possible. K2 was a dream in my 20s.....but then I was fit enough to fight a lion (or so I thought in testosterone fuelled delusion)...

Now, have kind of accepted middle age, as fait accompli. Hence the California....

Still hoping to use it more vigorously than one might think prudent. Mont Blanc sunmit on my mind...

I think you should stop thinking and pull trigger on Cali now....

I have just spec'd up my wishlist on VWs 'build-your-Cali' configurator and it came out at £66K. Ulp.

Each to his or her own. We bought our 140 2WD manual SE Cali brand new, in January 2014, for not much more than £43k, including a couple of minor extras. We use it mainly for touring, but also as an occasional second car when we are at home. It's the basic spec. engine but that's still far more powerful than many vehicles of the same weight. The 150 would be even better. I love the bigger VW engine with the DSG box. That's what I've got in my Golf which is incredibly enjoyable to drive but I've never felt that it was needed in a vehicle such as the Cali and I've never missed it. The camping gear is exactly the same as it would have been for the top-rated 180 DSG 4WD model at the time. Since January 2014 we have spent about 300 nights in it, have driven about 37k miles mostly in Europe and have done plenty of stops in places where there is no hook-up. Sleeping upstairs and with a small portable loo (see other threads) you can stop almost anywhere and with decent tyres there are not many off-road places you can't get to. We have loved every minute and can't imagine being more pleased with it even if we had spent about £20k more on the higher spec. model. What a wonderful vehicle!

I have just spec'd up my wishlist on VWs 'build-your-Cali' configurator and it came out at £66K. Ulp.

Each to his or her own. We bought our 140 2WD manual SE Cali brand new, in January 2014, for not much more than £43k, including a couple of minor extras. We use it mainly for touring, but also as an occasional second car when we are at home. It's the basic spec. engine but that's still far more powerful than many vehicles of the same weight. The 150 would be even better. I love the bigger VW engine with the DSG box. That's what I've got in my Golf which is incredibly enjoyable to drive but I've never felt that it was needed in a vehicle such as the Cali and I've never missed it. The camping gear is exactly the same as it would have been for the top-rated 180 DSG 4WD model at the time. Since January 2014 we have spent about 300 nights in it, have driven about 37k miles mostly in Europe and have done plenty of stops in places where there is no hook-up. Sleeping upstairs and with a small portable loo (see other threads) you can stop almost anywhere and with decent tyres there are not many off-road places you can't get to. We have loved every minute and can't imagine being more pleased with it even if we had spent about £20k more on the higher spec. model. What a wonderful vehicle!
Hi RichardH,
Thank you for your input... I'll read your post out loud to Management as she conjures another meal together. You certainly have used it. We can't really see any negatives apart from the outlay. These vans should be re-named Califortunes. But pound for pound, Hour by hour - probably one of the best investments you have made. Does the parking battery ever become low on juice?

I wanted the Big Motorbike.

Was shouted down by extended family. Then being the no affairs, no cars, no ostentation type, bought oh about 6 cars in a year or so!

Tried my best to get them as nondescript as possible but try that on big bhp.

Just when I was over them, fell for a much blinger supercar.....

Utgh, great car though! Still have it.

Now just want to maintain climb, if possible. K2 was a dream in my 20s.....but then I was fit enough to fight a lion (or so I thought in testosterone fuelled delusion)...

Now, have kind of accepted middle age, as fait accompli. Hence the California....

Still hoping to use it more vigorously than one might think prudent. Mont Blanc sunmit on my mind...

I think you should stop thinking and pull trigger on Cali now....
He he, You might just push me over the edge with advice like that and, I might be grateful by the sound of other user's posts! Talking of over the edge - why not go for the Eiger and base jump off the Mushroom. A pal of mine wants to make this his final base jump before quitting the

1. When parked up and camping the size of the engine isn't going to make any difference at all!
2. The 150 has almost the same performance as the 180 did last year and no-one complained about the 180
3. The engine bay of the 180 is a lot more congested than the 140, resulting in both more to go wrong and more expensive bills when it does & there do seem to be more problems reported on twin turbo models i.e. EGR valves etc
4. We bought ours pre registered in 2014 at the time the price was not dissimilar to a 3 year old.
5. The huge price rises every year seem to almost cancel out the depreciation, to buy ours as a second hand van today it looks like we would still have to pay roughly what we paid new 2 years ago.
6. Decide what is an absolute must have spec wise & go shopping in December, best time to get a deal on a pre reg before its last years plate.
7. 4wd adds weight, complexity & bigger fuel bills, a £400 set of winter tyres might be an cost effective alternative - actually even if you've got the 4wd you would want the winter tyres as well.
8. Do you really need the extras? You can buy a new tom-tom every year for 10 years for the price of the built in sat nav!

My car has 385bhp the van 140, I get to work (a 120 mile round trip) in the same time whichever I use.
The car is 4wd the van 2wd, if its raining hard, snowing, icy etc I take the van.

1. When parked up and camping the size of the engine isn't going to make any difference at all!
2. The 150 has almost the same performance as the 180 did last year and no-one complained about the 180
3. The engine bay of the 180 is a lot more congested than the 140, resulting in both more to go wrong and more expensive bills when it does & there do seem to be more problems reported on twin turbo models i.e. EGR valves etc
4. We bought ours pre registered in 2014 at the time the price was not dissimilar to a 3 year old.
5. The huge price rises every year seem to almost cancel out the depreciation, to buy ours as a second hand van today it looks like we would still have to pay roughly what we paid new 2 years ago.
6. Decide what is an absolute must have spec wise & go shopping in December, best time to get a deal on a pre reg before its last years plate.
7. 4wd adds weight, complexity & bigger fuel bills, a £400 set of winter tyres might be an cost effective alternative - actually even if you've got the 4wd you would want the winter tyres as well.
8. Do you really need the extras? You can buy a new tom-tom every year for 10 years for the price of the built in sat nav!

My car has 385bhp the van 140, I get to work (a 120 mile round trip) in the same time whichever I use.
The car is 4wd the van 2wd, if its raining hard, snowing, icy etc I take the van.
Hi AndyInLuton,
Thank you. Solid, irrefutable, Captain Sensible, level-headed, cool clear common sense. (which is not so common) - I am still going to test-drive a 204 though but the weight of similar comments is increasingly hard to gainsay. Torque is a glorious thing though. My car has it in spades, Management's too. My MC has it. I have had motor vehicles that have lacked it. I know which is better.

No one has ever, ever, ever called me sensible in relation to motoring maters before, so thank you for that!

Ive lost fortunes on brand new range rovers, commuted in Caterhams, done 65,000 miles one year in an air cooled 911. commuted 200 miles a day in a 20 year old triumph stag, driven an MG midget older than me to Monaco and back in 3 days.

I currently do about 120 miles a day into the east end of london alternating between a camper van and a 911 I'm told this is not normal behaviour for an adult. What most people at work don't realise is that their "sensible" new vauxhall/ford/ 3 series actually costs them more more per year in depreciation than my whole fleet costs me to run.

The california is probably the most sensible (possibly the only sensible) vehicle I've ever had, its the swiss army knife of the motoring world.

When you get to a certain age, mortgage paid and the kids are all married and settled it is definitely " ME " time.
I've got the SE with all the toys and power I want. I love it and so does the wife. She has her MX5 and loves it. We do what we want and the kids have to give at least 6 weeks notice for grandchildren sitting duties.
At this point in life Heart should take priority over Head.
T6 204 + DSG and 4Motion and use it 365/366 days a year for everything.
There is nothing quit like turning up at a 5* hotel with Valet Parking and the drivers are vying with each other to park the California. Jaguar, Range Rover, Mercedes Porche common as muck. Everyone has one.
California-Nice.

No one has ever, ever, ever called me sensible in relation to motoring maters before, so thank you for that!

Ive lost fortunes on brand new range rovers, commuted in Caterhams, done 65,000 miles one year in an air cooled 911. commuted 200 miles a day in a 20 year old triumph stag, driven an MG midget older than me to Monaco and back in 3 days.

I currently do about 120 miles a day into the east end of london alternating between a camper van and a 911 I'm told this is not normal behaviour for an adult. What most people at work don't realise is that their "sensible" new vauxhall/ford/ 3 series actually costs them more more per year in depreciation than my whole fleet costs me to run.

The california is probably the most sensible (possibly the only sensible) vehicle I've ever had, its the swiss army knife of the motoring world.
AndyInL,
I was actually, because I don't know you from Adam, referring to your counsel as being so. In the light of what you have just told me I would agree with the rest of the world. In fact I'd go further... (Monaco and back in a Midget...in three days) my friend, you are certifiable! But, I suspect, in an entirely good way:thumb.
In fact - I understand there is a vacancy for a presenting job at the Beeb?

He he, You might just push me over the edge with advice like that and, I might be grateful by the sound of other user's posts! Talking of over the edge - why not go for the Eiger and base jump off the Mushroom. A pal of mine wants to make this his final base jump before quitting the

I could contemplate base jumping.

But who shall pay for laundry bills for soiled pants every time I think of being a base jumper!

My thoughts now exceed my abilities by some huge factor.

But the most terrifying thought of all is driving up to camping site. Will it all be little Britain, and thought and action police delighting in telling newbies off!

I haven't read through the whole thread so apologies in the likely event that someone else has already made this point but my understanding is if you want DSG and 4motion it has to be the 204, for some reason they don't do a 150 DSG 4motion

I haven't read through the whole thread so apologies in the likely event that someone else has already made this point but my understanding is if you want DSG and 4motion it has to be the 204, for some reason they don't do a 150 DSG 4motion
Correct. You can get that spec on the Continent in LHD but not UK, so I gather.

A neighbour has just handed in a copy of today's daily mail event magazine. Chris Evans has reviewed the California Ocean in a two page spread. Positive but not his cup of tea.

My point of view. When I place order for new T6 beach.
Is it better for me to have two or more cars? NO. At the end it is cheaper to buy one "dream " T6. Although running costs, insurance are lower for only one car. So as I wrote before. For me t6 California . 204bhp. 4motion is only car I want to own.
,, I take it when it is raining hard snowing icy I enjoy driving my van.

PS. I'm driving 10years t5 multivan as my only vehicle. Now 400.000 km and every time I reached my destination without problems with car.

Ikr,.

When you get to a certain age, mortgage paid and the kids are all married and settled it is definitely " ME " time.
I've got the SE with all the toys and power I want. I love it and so does the wife. She has her MX5 and loves it. We do what we want and the kids have to give at least 6 weeks notice for grandchildren sitting duties.
At this point in life Heart should take priority over Head.
T6 204 + DSG and 4Motion and use it 365/366 days a year for everything.
There is nothing quit like turning up at a 5* hotel with Valet Parking and the drivers are vying with each other to park the California. Jaguar, Range Rover, Mercedes Porche common as muck. Everyone has one.
California-Nice.

WelshGas, you wrote it much better than I.
VW California 365/366 days a year

Ikr,.

Interesting thanks. I have just spec'd up my wishlist on VWs 'build-your-Cali' configurator and it came out at £66K. Ulp. Feeling queasy now... I'm just off to dig furiously in the garden and try to forget about it.
Seriously, next step is to hire one for a week in early October to see if we even like the whole deal. We never have been campers or even 'Clampers' and the lack of a loo and shower is unsettling - we would have to get round that somehow or 'management' will veto the whole thing.
We are having a similar debate, ours comes out at 54K 150 dsg led etc. But like you we have never been campers or even Glampers and the lack of a loo / shower is putting us off taking the plunge !

We are having a similar debate, ours comes out at 54K 150 dsg led etc. But like you we have never been campers or even Glampers and the lack of a loo / shower is putting us off taking the plunge !

Nevee been camper or glamper myself.

But should make it easier to go without loo as you will be less likely to need one...

In addition, if you chose one with loo, it will definitely be full on motorhome from outside. VW Westphalia is the smallest foot print of one I can think of.

In addition, I'd rather not have a loo unless the camper had plenty of space. But then there goes the small footprint.

Not an apologist for lack of loo, but there are good reasons for perhaps not having one. Plus imagine 4 queuing in morning and evening for same!

Why doesn't the Beach come in a 204 engine? I'm sure the 'uber cool' Beach drivers would love that extra umph...!!!

And there is the conundrum, is the type of person who can afford a £55000 plus Cali the type of person who will like using one? You may have a 204 ps engine, DSG gearbox, App connect radio and LED headlights but essentially it is a tent on wheels and a certain amount of roughing it is required. Can you go without a wash for a couple of days, can you wee behind a bush, can you live with the never ending dust on hot european camp sites? or noisy neighbours on many campsites both home and abroad? I love roughing it, my 2 children love it too (they hate washing at the best of times) but my wife is not so keen.

Back