Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking Heater - do I have one?

N

NorthSouth

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi everyone,
I have scoured previous posts but can’t seem to find the answer to my specific question (happy to be proved wrong!).
My 2016 Cali Beach has the Eberspacher sticker in the drivers door which suggests a parking heater (I think) but I don’t have the control panel or the vents in the B pillar.
I guess my question is - does this mean I could have the controls and vents fitted because the heater seems to already be installed or am I missing the point completely?

cheers for any help in advance, Matt

33E544B6-21FD-4471-AFB9-8F50EE3FD2A5.jpeg

stickers suggest both heaters are fitted.

Do you have a small control panel on the top of the windscreen, above the rear view mirror? If so, press ‘on/off’ button and image should appear as per photo.

3FB0EBBA-3031-463D-99DC-B90907D49143.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi North South,

Can you take a photo of the control panel located just in front of the rear view mirror.
As HC says the stickers indicate you have both heater fitted. (Possible finger trouble at the factory or a miss build in production)

it is possible the B pillar drivers (presuming RHD vehicle) has been replaced with a standard one at some stage.
a photo of the control panel will help determine before looking for other signs it’s fitted (under an)

Edit : the control panel should look like this
1617864422108.jpeg

tEdit: there should be a vent on the B Pillar like this

1617864595338.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys.
Below images of where these elements are ‘missing’ and that’s why the sticker has confused me haha!

3E0A06BD-BBD6-4696-91D0-F1D4C073BC9F.jpeg

9BF996DA-9456-4663-B567-042C63F908E9.jpeg

Unfortunately it looks like you just have the sticker.

does the front drivers step have a vent in the side wall ?

Ah well, my kids love stickers!
No, no vent in the drivers step side wall @Perfectos.
Still worth a final check of the Vin number to check build spec

Mis build does happen

Thanks for you help all! I will investigate the original build spec and then look into options.

Hi everyone,
I have scoured previous posts but can’t seem to find the answer to my specific question (happy to be proved wrong!).
My 2016 Cali Beach has the Eberspacher sticker in the drivers door which suggests a parking heater (I think) but I don’t have the control panel or the vents in the B pillar.
I guess my question is - does this mean I could have the controls and vents fitted because the heater seems to already be installed or am I missing the point completely?

cheers for any help in advance, Matt

View attachment 76379
You can also have a look under the van as the heater is visible. Look between the front wheels (approx) in almost the middle for a (about) 20mm short exhaust pipe angling down facing the rear. If it's there you should see it. Good luck.

You can also have a look under the van as the heater is visible. Look between the front wheels (approx) in almost the middle for a (about) 20mm short exhaust pipe angling down facing the rear. If it's there you should see it. Good luck.
Great stuff thanks!

@HugoFar
How about this little fella?
517CD3A4-7506-4211-9C07-5F2314493949.jpeg

That looks like it could be it, so would have been retrofitted...in which you must have a adjustable thermostat fitted somewhere inside the van?

Is it the coolant heater? I have a webasto, it’s not a parking heater, it just pre heats the engine before a cold start - you get in the van and turn the key, there’s hot air blowing out the driver’s vents, temp needle in the middle.
In my case the controller is a little oval thing on the dash but I guess you wouldn’t fail to notice that if you had it. Maybe it was stripped out before the previous owner sold it?

The plot thickens - I have downloaded the original spec and it includes auxiliary heater but specifically removes ventilation ducts.
It’s in with VW Cleckheaton on Monday so I’ll be intrigued to hear their understanding of it all.

309FCAC7-85CB-4128-B9DB-9AF44BCBFA2F.jpeg

1C022446-3E26-43B5-B1ED-EA2B8935C841.jpeg

Great stuff thanks!

@HugoFar
How about this little fella?
View attachment 76397
Yes,that could be it. I've just had a look under our MY08 and it's in the same location, just a little different in shape. But that's to be expected with different model years. I hadn't previously considered it could be the engine pre heat exhaust, but that's possible too. What an unusual situation. I'm keen to hear what you find out. Hope the dealer can explain.

The Auxiliary heater would mean the engine warmer wouldn't it?
and not the parking heater.
Auxiliary = providing supplementary or additional help and support.

Very strange that you have the stickers without the vents.

The Auxiliary heater would mean the engine warmer wouldn't it?
and not the parking heater.
Auxiliary = providing supplementary or additional help and support.

Very strange that you have the stickers without the vents.
Good point @westfalia . I guess the sticker got my hopes up. Must have been a slip of the hand at the factory.

I doubt that there is slippy hands at the factory.
Do you own it from new?
No we purchased it last year. No mention of the heater from the previous owner hence my surprise at the sticker.

No we purchased it last year. No mention of the heater from the previous owner hence my surprise at the sticker.
Strange that the sticker is on the door but you don't have the
vent holes.
Maybe take it to a VW garage, get it on the lift and ask them what's
going on.

You can also Google those codes to get a better idea of what exactly they are. I've done this previously with some success. Easier to do on something bigger than a phone tho.

I just googled up a VAG option codes list and here is what I found;
9M5 ZUH Electric auxiliary heater.
The difference is it states ''Electric''.
Have you checked build option codes on the sticker on the inside of the service hand book and compared them with the list you have?
Just an idea.

And;
9M0 ZUH Without auxiliary heater/fuel-fired parking heater
9M1 ZUH Fuel-fired parking heater
9M9 ZUH Fuel-fired parking heater with radio remote control

BTW,I can't find a date for this list,so not sure how up to date it is.

to sort this out. just remove the screws from the under tray near the door and pull it down and have a look under the sliding door. thats where the parking air heater lives. the auxiliary coolant heater lives up front nearside wheel arch and heats the coolant

I have a Caravelle & when I bought it new last year it had a sticker on the B Pillar & has an exhaust reminiscent of the one I had on my previous Cali & I too was intrigued why it was there but the option codes didn’t reveal anything, do still a mystery for me!

Back