Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Club Meet Rømø Denmark Meet 7-9 Sep 2018

Do you want to attend (just as a indication)

• Yes!

Votes: 16 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Matt , you'l do fine speaking englisch but try to speak french when in France it's the best way to learn !
Driving from Calais - the meet can be done in one trip , however not recomended . Try at least one overnight somewhere. You need to dicide the route , thru France-Luxemburg-Germany-Denmark would be the easyest drive but included tollroads in France.
As you say to maybe visit Belgium count in heavy traffic in Brussels and Antwerp ringways , also Gemany can be hell to ride thru...
Once entering Denmark it's only a short drive to the meet in Romo , Denmark highways are good , we drove from the German border all the way up north in just a few hours to catch the ferry up to Norway .
I don't know my plans yet as i don't usual plan to much up front but we be spending the week before the meet in Denmark also . We are going to be on a trip from arround the 19th august until the 10sept. but nothing planned exept the meet from 7-9sept
There's a chance we could meet up before the meet ,we will see ...

I recomend everyone passing Belgium up to Denmark to make a stop in one of our beautiful city's Antwerp Brussels Gent Leuven , you won't regret it !

Thanks both :)

We are on leave the week before and return the week after, so plan to make it a good trip and have plenty of time in Denmark.

Would be good to meet if we can, always good to catch up :D It seems at present like it would be France, Belgium, Germany, Denmark. Still time to remind myself of speaking french before we go. I think Germany we just want to pass through for now.

Am I right in thinking Belgium has dutch and french languages?

We are also heading up to Rømø and then on to the Northern Lights trip. But as we are up to our eyes with a new grandchild, pending today, we have not looked at any route yet.
We have been to Stamfords though and bought some maps!

I am currently thinking of the tunnel on Monday 3rd Sept, we could go earlier but have not booked anything yet. The Belgium city's look interesting which may well mean some adjustment.

In my experience, providing you make some effort to speak French, then the French are happy to respond in English. The Dutch speak English as well as us usually, as do the Danish, Swedes and Norwegians. My only experience of Belgium is a business acquaintance who spoke English with a difficult accent. So you should be OK. It is all part of the fun.

I will watch this thread with interest.

Alan

Recently return from a tour though Belgium and Holland, every local we spoke to instantly shifted into staggering good English when we inflicted our versions of French/Dutch on them and were most enthusiastic about the royal wedding.
We travelled from Dover to Dunkirk on DFDS, £81 return, very satisfactory operation straight onto free decent roads north..
Some lovely towns (with excellent public transport/bike lanes from campsites) like Ghent and Delft to stop off at on the way up to Denmark, take your pick.

Hey Matt, of course up to whatever experiment you’re thinking of. Just give me some dates so we can plan a bit our ‘tripping’. Would be pleased to guide you around, or to send you a nice road map.
The thing with little communities like the flemish, is that they’re used to adapt. Like e.g. we don’t dub our movies or tv series here like the Big Brothers around us do. We just subtitle, best way to learn a language. So don’t worry, you can chat with a 6 year old kid here.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I thought I would start a new thread to talk about travel planning. I have only ever been into Europe on a motorbike and that was via Ferry. I plan to go via the tunnel this time around but really have no idea what its like to drive the route and how long to factor in. Ideally I want as much time in Denmark as possible :)

I speak a little very bad French I've not used since school (enough to buy fuel, ask directions and order food), zero German or anything else. Language is always the thing I worry most about, hate not being able to use the local tongue but Ill have to deal with that.
  • I understand the beach is best booked without the number plate as a car other over 1.85m otherwise the cost is higher.. Is there a better route via ferry into say Amsterdam? We will have dogs with us.
  • I would like to go visit @Auberg-ine to film the worlds most organised Cali for Campervan Cookout if he is up for it ;)
  • How many days is realistic to get from Calais to Denmark? We certainly dont want to do it in one go (all 860+ miles). Any countries to avoid?
  • Once in Denmark I can take a leisurely drive upto Rømø.
What route would you take?
Google Map Route
Have you thought about the Harwich to Hook of Holland Ferry? Overnight with a cabin means you land at 0800hrs ready to go. Saves a lot of driving unless of course you live on top of the Tunnel.
Cost is very reasonable.

The only thing that put us off about the ferry was the fact we wanted to take the dogs and as its an 8hour + trip they would have to be locked in a cage the whole time. May take another look at it though. Thanks :) .

Am currently in Sweden so recently drove up through Denmark.

Sunday - leisurely drive and ferry from Dover to Dunkirk. Stayed on a campsite in Dunkirk and took a look at the beaches and British cemetery.

Monday - fairly easy drive, overnight in Netherlands on nice site between Arnhem and Apeldoorn.

Tuesday - Up through Germany and in to Denmark.

Motorway all the way, not as busy as U.K., although the inside lane from Dunkirk to Hamburg was a continuous line of trucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C68598DD-8B43-4A31-B794-2615D3909869.jpeg I am currently in Hirtshals and will be on the Ferry tomorrow to Norway. For all of you who are not aware (apologies if you are) open flames are currently not allowed in Denmark. We were shown this poster with the comments that if we were to be discovered by the authorities breaking these rules we could be fined between 3 and 10k DKK!
We used the cooking facilities on site which are free and are available at every Danish camp site. But they were pretty busy as you can imagine. You may want to take this info on board as most folks seem to think that theses rules will still be in place in September. So no candles, or grills outside your vans........no BBQ’s on the beach etc. :(

Same in Sweden last week. The site in Copenhagen says you can use your gas BBQ as long as it is on the tarmac by the facility block, but most sites have a kitchen with a few stoves available.

I think we have rested on the tunnel and I am about to book it.

Have my driving "kit" for europe and France, headlight deflectors, breathalysers, bulbs, hi vis etc.

I think we have rested on the tunnel and I am about to book it.

Have my driving "kit" for europe and France, headlight deflectors, breathalysers, bulbs, hi vis etc.

Matt, relax. You just need a good corckscrew and lots of empty boxes, to fill on your way back!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I thought I would start a new thread to talk about travel planning. I have only ever been into Europe on a motorbike and that was via Ferry. I plan to go via the tunnel this time around but really have no idea what its like to drive the route and how long to factor in. Ideally I want as much time in Denmark as possible :)

I speak a little very bad French I've not used since school (enough to buy fuel, ask directions and order food), zero German or anything else. Language is always the thing I worry most about, hate not being able to use the local tongue but Ill have to deal with that.
  • I understand the beach is best booked without the number plate as a car other over 1.85m otherwise the cost is higher.. Is there a better route via ferry into say Amsterdam? We will have dogs with us.
  • I would like to go visit @Auberg-ine to film the worlds most organised Cali for Campervan Cookout if he is up for it ;)
  • How many days is realistic to get from Calais to Denmark? We certainly dont want to do it in one go (all 860+ miles). Any countries to avoid?
  • Once in Denmark I can take a leisurely drive upto Rømø.
What route would you take?
Google Map Route
Matt
We travelled to Copenhagen last year with an overnight at Bremen in the way there. A nice stellplatz about 15 mins walk from town centre next to the river.
In return leg stopped at Camping Waldwinkel. Found it purely by chance.
Motorway service stations in France Belgium and Holland in the way generally poor dirty and crowded as it’s a main truck route. So wouldn’t recommend them as a “nice place” to stop for lunch.
Language wont be a problem. If you at least try people are generally very accommodating.
Enjoy your trip.

Hi Henrik, I can't find my confirmation e-mail for the booking and payment. I hope you received the payment I sent?
Do we need any specific equipment, i.e. wellingtons, bucket, knife, etc?

Just under five weeks to go! Looking forward to meeting everyone.

It will bee awesome! Almost can't wait ;-)

On holiday now, but when back I will send you alle further information. Regarding the open fire it is still banned. We have only have had a few drops of rain for 3 month and it is getting critical. But hope the extraordinary summer weather will last for the meet ;-)

Just under five weeks to go! Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Hi Henrik, I can't find my confirmation e-mail for the booking and payment. I hope you received the payment I sent?
Do we need any specific equipment, i.e. wellingtons, bucket, knife, etc?

Payment received ;-) And for the oyster Safari you need Wellingtons (rubber boots), a bucket or heavy duty bag and preferable a oyster knife to open and enjoy ;-)

It will bee awesome! Almost can't wait ;-)

On holiday now, but when back I will send you alle further information. Regarding the open fire it is still banned. We have only have had a few drops of rain for 3 month and it is getting critical. But hope the extraordinary summer weather will last for the meet ;-)
Indeed we hope weather lasts too. We are also on holiday right now. We are in Norway, just north of Trondheim making our way south, Island hopping. See you in September!
R&T

As the meet is getting close i was doing some preparation thismorning...
Been making some badges/buttons to hand out as they where pretty popular the last meet in Gloucestercher , got about 200 of them ready so everyone can come over and grab some !
IMG_8583.JPG

Also made club-logo ones with space to write your forum name for those who feel like coming out the closet...:D
IMG_8584.JPG
And last week got my hands on some Danish Krones so i'm prepared to vistit (small)sites where cash only is accepted ...

Probally be heading off to Denmark the weekend of 1sept.

Haha fantastic, I still have quite a lot of the badges from the Gloucester meet so I will try to bring those too for giving away. I still have my name badge one too :D

I have made myself a little page on my website so i can check the weather easily for the locations on our route. http://campervancookout.com/weather-for-our-next-trip/

I think currently we plan to spend some time in Belgium before heading to Romo (sorry I dont know how to do the special O in Romo). :)

I've been brushing up on french, practising a little so I can order food and find campsite, hopefully I wont make a fool of myself haha. Highly recommend the Paul NOble Audio book for learning french.

I only just saw this thread today thanks to @hotel california . Why was it not part of thread for the Rømø meet so that all who are going could see? Or did I miss something? Will catch up on it later over a cider!

I just opened this so as not to distract from those who were signing up at the time. I am happy to merge them if people prefer.

Hi Folks. Just been catching up with the thread - good to see Hotel California is on the ball with his badges!! We have booked a couple of weeks prior to the Romo weekend and will be travelling on the ferry from Harwich to the Hook of Holland on wed, 29th August. Should arrive mid-afternoon, plenty of time to find somewhere to stop overnight (SearchforSites show a good selection of pull-ins) We're then going to take a steady meander through Holland and Germany, taking in the sites as we go. Not made any plans at all! Look forward to seeing you all. :thumb

We are planning a couple days in Belgium, to see Bruges, some other sites and visit @Auberg-ine too hopefully. I suspect we will be in Denmark by the 5th or 6th if all goes to plan.

We have purchased the ACSI book and app so hopefully that will serve us well.

I have a French critair sticker and a german Plakette but wasnt sure if there are Denmark equivilent we need? Or any toll roads etc?

@Kmann , getting closer now !
Have you seen the thread @MattBW started ?
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/denmark-2018-meet-travel-planning.25465/
If you have some tips for people coming to Denmark do let us know .
Is there a full list of the people comming , would be great to know who to ecxpect.

Dear all, I have been awfully busy and on holiday. But that's another story ;-)
Really looking forward to seeing you all, working to get the final bits and pieces together. And I will send you an information email as promised soon.

I have sent a few tips for things to see in Denmark to some of you, but I will summarize it, and post here and in the thread you mention @hotel california – thank you for pointing it out. Haven't been much on the forum the last 5 weeks ;-)

Well, heads up! That date is coming ;-)

Iben + Henrik

BTW: We had rain, and the fire ban has been cancelled in most Denmark now. So bonfire, barbecue and gas grilling is on again I guess.

And the local newspaper just called – they want to make an article about our meet ;-)