Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling with dog

Welcome, I think that depends on the dog to a great extent. I used to have a lurcher years ago which would curl up on a seat in our campervan and not budge till the morning. However, I have a terrier now that unfortunately I could never take camping because it is so restless in the Cali. I have heard from others that the passenger footwell is a good spot. But with the bed down space is a premium.
Nice mug by the way, Waitrose if I’m not mistaken.

This is my German shepherd in our rental Cali a few months ago. She will sleep absolutely anywhere and was entirely unbothered for three nights in an unfamiliar space!

82050758-3A2E-4163-9792-2C78B9B6098B.jpeg

Very interested in this thread. Our Cali build started this week so hope to get it next month at some point and have a 9 month old Staffordshire Bull Terrier pup who‘s managed to wangle her way onto our bed at home so am alittle worried where she is going to sleep when we’re away :Nailbiting. Hope you have a good first night

We have a bolt-in d ring that goes in the rail on the floor just behind the drivers seat. Dog has harness on and then gets clipped in to the rail D ring with a short (50cm) car lead thing. She just sleeps on the floor behind the cab seats then.
We second this. We used to harness Dolly on the back seat until she flew off it during an emergency break. We harness her on the floor in her bed. And move the back seats forward to make her more secure and give us more boot space.

This is my German shepherd in our rental Cali a few months ago. She will sleep absolutely anywhere and was entirely unbothered for three nights in an unfamiliar space!

View attachment 68264
Where did you order those long backrest seats? I might need one for me. I have the headrest completely up and it's still a little too short to be good.

(Working cocker) travels on the back seat in a (crash tested) EzyDog harness, or sometimes on the floor behind driver's seat on a short lead tether to a carabiner clip to the seat belt mount.

Usually ends up sleeping... up in the top bed with us. Yeah, I know.

1603563115926.png

(Working cocker) travels on the back seat in a (crash tested) EzyDog harness, or sometimes on the floor behind driver's seat on a short lead tether to a carabiner clip to the seat belt mount.

View attachment 68285
Ooh. Very useful info thanks. I was wondering how to secure my greyhound. 40kg on the move is not safe for either me or Romeo (his kennel name, and he makes the most of it with the girls).

View attachment 68285
Glad we’re not the only ones where the dog rules ;);)

I’ve posted elsewhere. Seats pushed forward to get 2 crates in the back, then push the seat back. Overnight, if I was upstairs they had vet bed on bench seat, floor and swivelled seats.
If slept downstairs, they started on the swivelled seats, but I awoke in the morning with a dog on my feet and one near my head. Always the same ones.
Since 4 dogs, not really camped. Too complicated in a Cali.

She lies on the floor beside the handbrake between the front seats when travelling, and turns her head from side to side going round roundabouts ...
she sleeps between the front and back seats ...

We have a bolt-in d ring that goes in the rail on the floor just behind the drivers seat. Dog has harness on and then gets clipped in to the rail D ring with a short (50cm) car lead thing. She just sleeps on the floor behind the cab seats then.
Could you send photo please

We have a D ring too but we also put a padded board against the back of the seats. Then if we did have to brake suddenly there would be no chance that she could be thrown between the front seats. As for sleeping, she sleeps on the back seat, whilst we sleep upstairs. The one night the weather was so bad we had to sleep downstairs she slept in exactly the same position which meant she lay across my feet all night!

They sleep anywhere they like.
Usually in the most awkward place possible
View attachment 68265
Next to the parking heater is a favourite spot.
Also when the seats are spun, on the front seats and passenger foot well.
View attachment 68266
That’s literally what you call “the muts nuts“ or the “dog’s b****cks“ for sure.

Just laughed out loud as sat at home watching BBC Countryfile and the presenter is doing a peice about triple SI’s and has just said they’re the “Crown Jewels” :D

We’re just 2 adults and 1 small dog. Our Barney likes the bench seat for travelling and in the day (share’s it with me).

4FB540CB-20A6-43CE-B112-668B5B175D92.jpeg

But we keep the passenger seat facing forward as his sleep, chill out/quiet space.
As soon as we pitch I put a waterproof cover on the seat and use a thin cot quilt to go on the seat and go up in front of the dash board, another quilt goes down the door and on the seat. So the trim’s protected and Barn’s nice and cosy. He likes to go to bed early so means he can take himself off whenever he wants.

7DA33387-FACE-4E48-B6AB-B97236E9E92C.jpeg

We have a “Really Useful Box“ box between the seats for storing books, maps, etc and I stuck a bit of carpet on the lid so he can use it as a step.

We do a lot of festivals. Barney hates lots of people and noise But the van is his most favourite place on Earth. So when we toddle off he hunkers down and feels nice and comfy and safe.

Last edited: