Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling with dog

Or one to the seat belt on the back seat

View attachment 68647
Thanks, are they the D rings you can buy and fit to the rear seat rails? We’ve also never had to use harnesses for them (as they were secure in the boot) any recommendations on brands worth considering? - or ones to avoid!

Thanks, are they the D rings you can buy and fit to the rear seat rails? We’ve also never had to use harnesses for them (as they were secure in the boot) any recommendations on brands worth considering? - or ones to avoid!
Yes the D rings available from the club shop , easy to fit . Our harnesses are made by Hunter and seem well made , strong and comfortable .

1A269DA8-AB0E-49E6-8A92-B8DD3ACF0CDF.jpeg

0ADFCCBF-CFD3-4635-895F-5F79DF1E99F5.jpeg

As a soon to be new Cali owner, this is something that’s been giving me a few concerns. We have two very athletic Vizslas who if unrestrained in a car will make their way to the front passenger seat. We have a Landrover where we have a cage that keeps them in the boot space. The rear Cali parcel shelf didn’t look very big for two dogs so I’ve been looking for some way of restraining and keeping them safe in the rear footwell - I guess my main concern is how I prevent them getting between the two front seats while driving...

View attachment 68643

View attachment 68644
Lovely dogs

Lola's sleeping position, she goes there even when the bed is in position, its cozy but she seems to like it.

20200824_190203.jpg

We have a very large garden, and our border asks himself to go out.
Almost every day we take with her great walks in the surrounding countryside.
Dogs are not originally meant to live indoors, this is a human-made behavior modification.
Is this common practice with all people in Belgium that have dogs?

Lola's sleeping position, she goes there even when the bed is in position, its cozy but she seems to like it.

View attachment 68669
Ours sleep on the downstairs bed.
They travel wearing a harness attached to either the D ring on the floor or the seat belt depending on where they are lying. If they are on the floor which is rare they have a reasonably high sided basket as the smaller dog likes to feel secure.
We use ruffwear harnesses, we did buy the ezydog crash tested harness but unfortunately the sizing just didn’t work for our girls.

03F15F6D-263C-4582-8DFE-B2689D4F5E7D.jpeg

E6EC63B8-8F1E-424C-95AA-BAD68E682543.jpeg

Yes, for those who live in the countryside and have large dogs, it is common. Also in many other European countries.
But others keep their dogs indoors most of the time.

Dogs sleeping outside is absolutely the norm throughout Southern Europe. So much so that Sicilians and Greeks alike think it odd that people would have anything bigger than a Chihuahua living indoors.

View attachment 68669
We haven't got a Cali yet but you've answered my question - where does a 32kg black lab sleep as my wife might not be able to get up top and in any case much quieter downstairs. In our T5 there is more room with bed out and it's hollow under the end but this picture makes sense as long as mine can't smell or see food!

That's easy - the ones to avoid are any that haven't actually been properly crash tested. That means most of them, no matter how nicely made they look. There was a pretty shocking series of tests done in the USA a few years ago that showed that practically all the harnesses failed catastrophically in a serious crash scenario and the dog then became a projectile.

Unfortunately there is no standard for 'crash testing' and some harnesses that claim to have been tested (weasel worded bo11ocks like "tested for tensile strength") turn out to fail in proper independent tests such as by the US Center for Pet Safety. The ones that do seem to come out well include Sleepypod, and EzyDog and Kurgo which are claimed to meet the same EU standards that would apply to a child harness (we use an EzyDog).

Non-crash tested harnesses are better than nothing of course, in that they will certainly keep the dog from straying around the van, and can be assumed to keep them on the seat in an emergency stop or mild shunt.

I’ve been on a couple of visits and the dogs we met were all indoor dogs.
We also visited Belgium a few times. And we saw a lot of outdoor dogs in the countryside.
In fact, we are living in Belgium ... :D

That's easy - the ones to avoid are any that haven't actually been properly crash tested. That means most of them, no matter how nicely made they look. There was a pretty shocking series of tests done in the USA a few years ago that showed that practically all the harnesses failed catastrophically in a serious crash scenario and the dog then became a projectile.

Unfortunately there is no standard for 'crash testing' and some harnesses that claim to have been tested (weasel worded bo11ocks like "tested for tensile strength") turn out to fail in proper independent tests such as by the US Center for Pet Safety. The ones that do seem to come out well include Sleepypod, and EzyDog and Kurgo which are claimed to meet the same EU standards that would apply to a child harness (we use an EzyDog).

Non-crash tested harnesses are better than nothing of course, in that they will certainly keep the dog from straying around the van, and can be assumed to keep them on the seat in an emergency stop or mild shunt.
We use this one which has been extensively tested - excellent quality https://www.mountaindog.uk/collecti...Hs5FznfVy8zb4O9rqEn-3m2pfejMXkOhoCsrIQAvD_BwE

We only ever buy Ruffwear and have never had any issues - suppose even though expensive you do get what you pay for.

That’s really great guidance, thank you

We haven't got a Cali yet but you've answered my question - where does a 32kg black lab sleep as my wife might not be able to get up top and in any case much quieter downstairs. In our T5 there is more room with bed out and it's hollow under the end but this picture makes sense as long as mine can't smell or see food!
Our lab is a bit smaller than that, shes only 6 months at the moment but our previous lab was 20+ kgs and had no issue sleeping at the base of the bed or in between the front seats, there's often 4 of us in the van + dog at the same time, cozy ;-)

Our lab is a bit smaller than that, shes only 6 months at the moment but our previous lab was 20+ kgs and had no issue sleeping at the base of the bed or in between the front seats, there's often 4 of us in the van + dog at the same time, cozy ;-)
Mines quite a long legged Drakeshead lab but does manage to curl up as can be seen here in our T5 where there is a bit more room than a Cali.

IMG_1698.JPG

Camper 1.jpg