Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

travelling with dog.

We don't have a dog anymore but the guy who sold us our Cali has got a blog where he shares pictures from sold Calis and other things. I think this looks neat with storage on top.

IMG_2042.JPG

Source: http://califor9a.blogspot.com/2018/07/vw-california-med-hundbur.html

The crate is from here, only in Swedish though.
http://www.hundgubbe.se/

Hi
Do you have a picture of the crate
We’re looking for options for our 2 labs
Thanks

Hi,
See my previous on this tread.
We had a bespoke cage made by "Barjo Cages" for our Cali (Coast layout is basically same as an Ocean) for our two Setters (see photos above).
We telephoned and discussed our specific needs with them and they were very helpful.
Dimensions are:
Width 95cm, Depth 85cm, Height 81cm.
Width is basically the maximum that would fit, whilst height and depth (rear seat travel) could be adjusted to suit.
The number of openings can be specified from 1 to 4 (we have 4(2 front & 2 rear)) and the cage can be kept as 1 large cage or split into 2 separate.
This is the 3rd cage we have bought from Barjo over a 15 year period and we have always been happy with the product.
Hope you can find something to suit.
Happy New Year

Hi there, some of you have fitted the Anchor floor lashing...was it an easy job and can you still slide the rear seat forward to make up a downstairs bed or does it impede the seat over rails ?

View attachment 39793
Lovely dogs (English and Irish?). Looks like a similar set up to ours. Happy holidays . Upstairs for you too.
Your van looks nice and clean.
I use one of those cotton, rubber backed soft door mats to cover the bumper. It also absorbes some of the wet/mud , before they get in the van
Field spaniels

Hi there, some of you have fitted the Anchor floor lashing...was it an easy job and can you still slide the rear seat forward to make up a downstairs bed or does it impede the seat over rails ?
The anchor doesn't affect the seat movement at all if it's fitted at the end of the runner. Fitting it is easy, you just need to lever up the plastic cover at the end of the rail. Very pleased with ours.

The anchor doesn't affect the seat movement at all if it's fitted at the end of the runner. Fitting it is easy, you just need to lever up the plastic cover at the end of the rail. Very pleased with ours.
Are those the £34.99 lashing rings?

Thanks Keith, I imagine that we slide the anchor 'screw plate' in after removing the plastic end piece ... then replace the plastic end piece

I can't believe the price of them things, absolute rip off
I agree .... I just can't understand it. If the were around £15 , there would still be a mega profit . And I'm sure they would sell loads. I'd buy 2 ☺

Those rings are not the same and from the look of them will not lie flat which would be a pain. The club rings look expensive but they will be made in small numbers and this makes anything more costly to produce. In the scheme of things they are a small price to pay for the value they make to the overall experience of taking your companion safely out and about.

As an added safety feature I have a padded board against the back of the seats, that way in an accident our dog would hopefully be thrown against this rather than through the gap in the seats.

Those rings are not the same and from the look of them will not lie flat which would be a pain. The club rings look expensive but they will be made in small numbers and this makes anything more costly to produce. In the scheme of things they are a small price to pay for the value they make to the overall experience of taking your companion safely out and about.

As an added safety feature I have a padded board against the back of the seats, that way in an accident our dog would hopefully be thrown against this rather than through the gap in the seats.
I have a custom made crate in the boot for my 3. But my older dog now wants her own space. So my plan was a single crate behind the seats. But I'd feel happier having it lashed down. My husband is an auto motive engineer and manufactures drop sides and tippers for the t6 at Ingimex, he said he can't understand the cost either.

Hi All,

Just wanted to ask how you folks with dogs secure them whilst travelling?

My understanding is that it's the law now to have them secured in correctly. Rightly so too.
My Husky is scured in by harness and seat belt attachment on every journey, even short trips to the shops. If you come over to France beware the plod like to pick you up on anything.....

Just wondering if anyone with a 6.1 has purchased a D ring from the club shop? It states it is for the T5.

thank you

I did, worked fine... :thumb

I think it's just slightly different how you put it in... Have actually changed how we harness the dog so have taken it out...

Hi All,

My understanding is that it's the law now to have them secured in correctly. Rightly so too.
I just got this Caree small pet carrier for my yorkie. can be strapped to the seat with a seatbelt or isofix with optional accessory. Its bigger than it looks & suitable for dogs up to 8kg. Expensive but very good build quality & crash tested.
4pets-caree-small-pet-carrier-smoked-pearl.jpg4pets-caree-small-pet-carrier-smoked-pearl (1).jpg

We use one of these which uses the seatbelt:

(Crash testing on crates is more about reducing injury to humans; ie - keeping the dog within the crate during the accident. If the dog is unsecured within the crate, the dogs chances don’t look good in the event of an accident as they will just be thrown forwards at speed into the sides of the crate.)

I just got this Caree small pet carrier for my yorkie. can be strapped to the seat with a seatbelt or isofix with optional accessory. Its bigger than it looks & suitable for dogs up to 8kg. Expensive but very good build quality & crash tested.
View attachment 106979View attachment 106980
Yes they need to be secured, they do not have to be in a crate. We use a Ruffwear or Drive harness secured to the seatbelt.

I did, worked fine... :thumb

I think it's just slightly different how you put it in... Have actually changed how we harness the dog so have taken it out...
That’s great Thank you.

Hi All,

Hi we have the rail anchor from Campervan bits with lead / short seat belt adaptor. Useful also when you have a stop or just setting up as the sliding door can be open with dog secured. Works for us with a lively dog!!