Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travelling with dog

Sometimes it‘s a Godsend if your dog and their own sleep space and sticks to it. Last year at a festival Barney had a really bad tummy in the night. Luckily it was all contained in his ”space” so we only had his bedding (and him) to wash.

82ADFF4D-1634-4037-95B3-74C9DF93852A.jpeg

Probably this one - we have bought it for our 6.1 on order.

We have a D ring too but we also put a padded board against the back of the seats. Then if we did have to brake suddenly there would be no chance that she could be thrown between the front seats. As for sleeping, she sleeps on the back seat, whilst we sleep upstairs. The one night the weather was so bad we had to sleep downstairs she slept in exactly the same position which meant she lay across my feet all night!
Thank you, that’s great . Had similar in our last transport lee highlands and will def have these fitted in our new Cali!

Good morning,

For our Bichon Frise we got a dog seat which is a higher than normal. That gives her a chance to look out. The dog seat is secured with the seat belt and the dog is secured with a strap (quality of the seat belt material) also to the seat belt. Different to the pictures she got a wider harness now. In case of an accident she won't fly through the cabine, but certainly she will be severely shaken.

With two exceptions we brought the dog with uns only on day tours. During those exceptions she was sleeping on the driver seat (but she didn't like that too much).

In the future we will bring her more with us for overnight stays (whenever it is allowed to travel again). The plan is that she will stay with me on the downstairs bet. There is certainly plenty enough room for the pair of us.

1603799563030.png

1603799604579.png

Happy California
Eberhard

We have a Vizsla. He travels in the boot on the parcel shelf, curls up on the passenger seat while we cook/eat etc, and sleeps on the sofa (we sleep upstairs). When we had two, the older one slept on the parcel shelf. We find a sheepskin rug is amazing as a bed - takes up way less space, is portable for the pub and doesn’t slip on the seat covers so tends to stay in place. Best thing we bought for him! Also a coat for winter sleeping which doesn’t slide off in the night causing us to have to recover him

With difficulty as one is an 85kg Greater Swiss and the other a Springer.
For travelling and sleeping they go in the back which means the rear seat has to be 3/4 way forward. For longer trips we sometimes use a back box on the cycle carrier and drive away awning. (She did stay with my daughter when we did a Christmas Vienna trip, the Springer was fine in his smaller cage behind the front seats)
EF25E87C-ADBF-47F9-84E2-8B5B8B3928FE.jpeg

Buttons has a dog crate clipped into rail behind drivers seat when travelling then moved to drivers seat on campsites. Pop him in when eating etc or striking camp. Otherwise typical Cali dog ie on seat next to owner, head on lap or in the back curled up on sleeping bags and sleeps head first down sleeping bag or sitting in front of heater! He loves the Cali and gets very excited. Loved being away last weekend as usual!

Matty travels and sleeps (theoretically) behind the driver's seat - tethered when on the move, actually she likes to lie between the front seats when travelling (tether just reaches). Being a pyrenean sheepdog she's happiest when we're close together and the van is her favourite place

At night we sleep in the roof, Matty on the floor on her bed below us. . . works well !
MR100661.jpg

If we both sleep upstairs our boy lies on his portable fold out (Ruffwear) travel bed between bench seat and back of front seats.
When my husband sleeps downstairs ( he prefers this bed , sometimes feels claustraphobic upstairs ) our boy just jumps up and lies beside him ... on top of his Ruffwear bed. Bit more of a ‘fuffle’ of a morning when I descend, but it works !
When travelling he lies behind the seats, attached harness to ‘ d ring’ anchor on floor rail.88457575-A245-4281-891B-E4F4D33F46DB.jpeg

With difficulty as one is an 85kg Greater Swiss and the other a Springer.
For travelling and sleeping they go in the back which means the rear seat has to be 3/4 way forward. For longer trips we sometimes use a back box on the cycle carrier and drive away awning. (She did stay with my daughter when we did a Christmas Vienna trip, the Springer was fine in his smaller cage behind the front seats)
View attachment 68561
Beautiful dog

At home our dog, a bordercollie, lives outside and sleeps in his kennel. I can't imagine he could sleep inside our California. Dogs that live outside leave a scent and I don't want our California (and us) to smell the same. I still do not have the right solution for him to accompany us. When the weather is nice, no problem, but when it rains ... ???

We sleep up top, our German shepherd sleeps on the floor, springer spaniel sleeps on the rear seats. For travelling, both wear the Ezydog chest plate harnesses, springer on rear seat, GSD on the floor.

At home our dog, a bordercollie, lives outside and sleeps in his kennel. I can't imagine he could sleep inside our California. Dogs that live outside leave a scent and I don't want our California (and us) to smell the same. I still do not have the right solution for him to accompany us. When the weather is nice, no problem, but when it rains ... ???
Why do you have a dog if it lives and sleeps outside?

So we have set off for our first night in our Cali, with our pooch. Tonight will be interesting, what sleeping arrangements do people have when travelling with dogs?

View attachment 68257
Our dog sleeps downstairs on the bed.
Hi Sue
OT: I like your seat covers. Are they waterproof? Where did you buy them?
Thanks

Yes they are waterproof! they made a mistake and we got them thrown in for free, really good because you can sponge them down, waterproof

Hi Sue
Thanks
Inka seat covers are waterproof and dog proof !

Yes they are waterproof! they made a mistake and we got them thrown in for free, really good because you can sponge them down, waterproof
Where did you get them?
Are they VW once? Or do you know the make?
Thanks

We have a Vizsla. He travels in the boot on the parcel shelf, curls up on the passenger seat while we cook/eat etc, and sleeps on the sofa (we sleep upstairs). When we had two, the older one slept on the parcel shelf. We find a sheepskin rug is amazing as a bed - takes up way less space, is portable for the pub and doesn’t slip on the seat covers so tends to stay in place. Best thing we bought for him! Also a coat for winter sleeping which doesn’t slide off in the night causing us to have to recover him
As a soon to be new Cali owner, this is something that’s been giving me a few concerns. We have two very athletic Vizslas who if unrestrained in a car will make their way to the front passenger seat. We have a Landrover where we have a cage that keeps them in the boot space. The rear Cali parcel shelf didn’t look very big for two dogs so I’ve been looking for some way of restraining and keeping them safe in the rear footwell - I guess my main concern is how I prevent them getting between the two front seats while driving...

92B82D01-BDE9-4291-B5B1-AD9A55A05F8B.jpeg

5E0FE862-0F49-4470-ABBF-680FE3985E5A.jpeg

As a soon to be new Cali owner, this is something that’s been giving me a few concerns. We have two very athletic Vizslas who if unrestrained in a car will make their way to the front passenger seat. We have a Landrover where we have a cage that keeps them in the boot space. The rear Cali parcel shelf didn’t look very big for two dogs so I’ve been looking for some way of restraining and keeping them safe in the rear footwell - I guess my main concern is how I prevent them getting between the two front seats while driving...

View attachment 68643

View attachment 68644
We have two Ridgebacks . They are attached via their harnesses to the attachment loops in the rails as previously described .

View attachment 68643

View attachment 68644
Or one to the seat belt on the back seat

F316BAB1-E8D2-4345-865A-3F290BD649B1.png

Hi Sue
Thanks
We have GTI premierre covers from the club shop (Not waterproof). But I got some cheap waterproof covers that are easily slipped over the seat before putting on the dog’s bedding. It’s a good solution for us. I got mine in Aldi but you can find similar on the Internet.