Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

UK - RIP Coast, hello 6.1 Beach?

Most VW dealers have a very poor knowledge of the Calis!! We tried 3 dealers, the first said they are on hold until further notice, the second took our order but then after a week had still not ‘placed’ it as they said the computer would not accept it. They were trying to enter options that did not exist on the Ocean. In the end we canned them and went to a third dealer PHIL at CITYGATE COLINDALE LONDON . He knew the vehicles and options inside out and back to front. Our order was placed within 24 hours and he has kept us updated weekly. We ordered about a month ago and it is now in production with an anticipated delivery day of end of September. The Coast was in production when we ordered. It was a choice of the Coast or Ocean But not the Beach. You will see on the VW website there is no Beach in the UK (I don't think). Anyway, £70k+ lighter we are looking forward to delivery of our fully loaded Ocean soon. My tip is to find a dealer who really knows what they are talking about as these vehicles have complicated options. Some of the options we thought we were going to have we decided not to have for reasons pointed out by the dealer but other options we had over looked we did have having fully understood the benefits. I believe production is now completely normal although there might be a back log. Good Luck.
Wow September sounds promising, VW closed the factory for about 3 months.

Wow September sounds promising, VW closed the factory for about 3 months.
Yep, we thought it would be around 6 months but it was in the queue for around 3 weeks and now it is actually in production and moving along the conveyor belt which is how come we have an estimated delivery date. According to our dealer this is 95% accurate once it is actually being built.

i ordered last week with production date of week 37 and delivery date of 31 October. As long as i get it by next spring i'll be happy.

Interesting. I have recently ordered a coast with standard wheels. Is the benefit of the updated chassis the extra stopping power only? Do you consider the standard stopping power insufficient? Thanks in advance for your thoughts

I'm sure the 16" brakes (308mm disc, single pot callipers) will be adequate, assuming all weights are adhered to. It was definitely not my intention to alarm anyone with the standard set up. I haven't driven a loaded T6 with this set up, so can only speak of my satisfaction with the larger (340mm disc, twin pot callipers) arrangement.

I took a 'belt & braces' approach, as this was a no cost option (excluding the need for 17' wheels & tyres)....
Firstly to ensure I had adequate payload headroom (some options were only allowed on the configurator if I specced the uprated chassis) and secondly because there was the possibility I would use the vehicle to tow with.

One comment regarding the UK Coast spec.... it comes with 16" wheels as standard, which of course means it has the standard T30 Beach chassis & brakes.

One thing any prospective Coast owner should (IMO) consider is an upgrade to 17" wheels to take the uprated T32 chassis, including much much bigger front discs.
This option seemed to become available just prior to our Beach order & we certainly don't regret opting for the added stopping power.....
So is the payload of a Coast 200kgs less than an Ocean?

So is the payload of a Coast 200kgs less than an Ocean?

Haven't seen a copy of the T6.1 specs, so can't comment on actuals.... I would assume the Ocean is a slightly heavier vehicle so the payload maybe quite similar even though they use different base chassis ratings....

I would consider the Coast if I was to change but would have to change the standard wheels, I think there the same as the Hiline van which to me makes it look a bit like a conversion.
Are you the same Karlos who last week had a white t6 on your avatar and a
location 300miles north of what you have now?

Hi - so after many months (years) of thinking about it my T25 is up for sale and I am (was) very close to pressing the button on a new Coast. Been messing around with the configurator over the last few weeks. Went in again this morning to discover that there was no option for the Coast.

I sent a message via the live chat service and got a reply straight away. I was told that....

'the two trims are now Ocean and Beach. The Coast is no longer in production'.

I then asked when the Beach would be available and was told that it was available to order now.

Funny - as I spoke to our local VW Van centre yesterday afternoon (Breeze in Poole who should know what they were talking about) and they didn't mention this at all when I had a discussion with them regarding the Coast. They were telling me that they had no 6.1 stock or demonstrators as the factory has shut during the Spring due to COVID and they were catching up on customer orders. They were expecting new stock towards at the end of August. Perhaps this is very new news.

I know Ireland are now getting the Beach so maybe the UK is following suit. I know this will please many out there if true, although slightly gutted for myself, looks like it might be bak to the drawing board for a used T6 Ocean.

Hope useful.
Anyone got confirmation of this? I have to say, a temporary kitchen as pods makes more sense for me. And when not in use, I would have a very practical van/ 7 seaters. Who does the best removable sink / fridge pods? Vangear looks good. Anyone got experience of them?

Just to add further to the confusion I looked at the configurator last night and low and behold we have the Coast back but no Beach. I then downloaded the brochure and here is the rub it included the Ocean, Coast & Beach but the price list only has the Ocean and Coast. No doubt VW will get it all sorted soon...........

Yes I was at the dealers yesterday and they were telling me they could sell lots of Beach's (heaven knows why;)) but the Coast isn't selling that well. They said when customers get to a certain price point the Ocean looks to be a more attractive proposition and who could blame them.

I'm surprised, not that they couldn't sell lots of beaches as I am sure they could, but that the Coast isn't selling. We were planning on getting a used T6 Ocean, but prices are sooo high. It's quite rare to see a T6 Ocean below £40K even though early ones are coming up to 5 years old now. This is why we are looking towards a new Coast. New car discounts are strong and currently VW are also offering 4 year warranty and 2 services thrown in. A new Coast, with a few choice options (and disregarding the electric roof which I'm not worried about) to bring close to T6 Ocean Spec is coming in low £50's. For me, that represents a strong proposition against a 3-year old T6 north of £45K......Zero worry for 4 years, and the prospect of excellent resale after that.

Perhaps I'm just in the minority and the extra toys now on the Ocean are an attraction for most buyers. I also have an e-golf which has the the digital cockpit and super-duper-very-expensive 9" discover pro nav system. I bought used, and they happened to be on the vehicle. Nice as they are I wouldn't pay £££ for them.

I'm surprised, not that they couldn't sell lots of beaches as I am sure they could, but that the Coast isn't selling. We were planning on getting a used T6 Ocean, but prices are sooo high. It's quite rare to see a T6 Ocean below £40K even though early ones are coming up to 5 years old now. This is why we are looking towards a new Coast. New car discounts are strong and currently VW are also offering 4 year warranty and 2 services thrown in. A new Coast, with a few choice options (and disregarding the electric roof which I'm not worried about) to bring close to T6 Ocean Spec is coming in low £50's. For me, that represents a strong proposition against a 3-year old T6 north of £45K......Zero worry for 4 years, and the prospect of excellent resale after that.

Perhaps I'm just in the minority and the extra toys now on the Ocean are an attraction for most buyers. I also have an e-golf which has the the digital cockpit and super-duper-very-expensive 9" discover pro nav system. I bought used, and they happened to be on the vehicle. Nice as they are I wouldn't pay £££ for them.
Hi Chapmac there's a September 2019 Ocean with 2 free services and the balance of the 5 year warranty on Gumtree for under 53k

Hi Chapmac there's a September 2019 Ocean with 2 free services and the balance of the 5 year warranty on Gumtree for under 53k
Lol yours? There’s also a v nice late T3 Westy Cali on there for £18k!

This was my thinking. I ordered a Coast with essentials (3 way air-con, parkings gadgets, privacy glass) and came in at just over 51k. Cheaper than 3 year old T6 Oceans on the market. I can live with a manual roof. Only downside is that i dont have it for this summer.

Just to add further to the confusion I looked at the configurator last night and low and behold we have the Coast back but no Beach. I then downloaded the brochure and here is the rub it included the Ocean, Coast & Beach but the price list only has the Ocean and Coast. No doubt VW will get it all sorted soon...........

Where did you download the brochure? I did it like night from vw uk and no beach model in it. Ocean and coast only.

This was my thinking. I ordered a Coast with essentials (3 way air-con, parkings gadgets, privacy glass) and came in at just over 51k. Cheaper than 3 year old T6 Oceans on the market. I can live with a manual roof. Only downside is that i dont have it for this summer.
Great minds @toeknee :). Took out a 150DSG Ocean at the dealer this morning. One step closer to pulling the trigger!

Where did you download the brochure? I did it like night from vw uk and no beach model in it. Ocean and coast only.
Off the VW Van website, just checked again and guess what.... the Beach has gone.......

Looks to me like vw uk had to post an updated brochure and forgot to delete the beach model from the uk offering.

You may well be right on that one.

Someone mentioned this in passing further up but has anyone ordered a 6.1 Beach from Southern Ireland and imported it to the UK?
Do you get whacked with a giant HMRC charge and a lifetime of ball ache every time you need to visit the dealer network?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone mentioned this in passing further up but has anyone ordered a 6.1 Beach from Southern Ireland and imported it to the UK?
Do you get whacked with a giant HMRC charge and a lifetime of ball ache every time you need to visit the dealer network?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In theory whilst we are still on EU terms until end of year there would be no import taxes now. The EU warranty terms may differ to UK, you'd need to ask those questions.

By definition the spec wouldn't match the UK model, obviously so in this case as the model variant isn't imported (more relevant if you were importing an Ocean or Coast)

Could be a good solution. Going forward Eire is an easy choice logistically, not sure if other EU countries would be better tax saving wise.

Currently up in the highlands and over the past week have seen several Coast models on sites all of which were hired. Helped several people out with things like turning the gas on and electrics.

Saw one couple sleep with all the blinds open. Had a conversation with them next morning and it transpired they had been away for a week and didn't know the van had blinds. The lady had been lying on the floor for a week getting changed. Saw another guy wind an awning out without support and sat under it with no support.

There could be some very abused Coasts on the second hand market in the future.

Back