Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

When will campsites reopen ?

We are planning a provisional phased reopening of our Club sites

In line with the latest UK Government & Administration announcements, we are very pleased to share with you our intention to open the majority of our campsites in England from 4 July and in Scotland from 15 July 2020, subject of course to further confirmation. The timescales for reopening our Club sites in Wales will be published once we have guidance from their Administration.

Unfortunately at this moment we are not able to open all of our Club sites, however we will constantly review whether we are able to open any more campsites in the future.

Naturally, as you would expect, our priority is first and foremost the health and safety of our staff, our members, our guests and local communities. We are pleased to announce our new COVID Secure Commitment, which is explained in more detail below.

Open and closed campsites

A list of our campsites that are closed or open from 4 July in England and 15th July in Scotland can be found on our website www.camc.com/reopening.

As this is a very busy time, if you want to make a booking or need to amend a booking please do so either through the website or through the UK Sites Booking App. Of course, if you need to call us then we will be happy to talk to you, however please be aware there may be extended waiting times during this period.

Our 5 point plan to help members and guests stay safe and well on site
Please see below how we have changed some of our procedures to help keep members, guests and staff, safe and well whilst touring with the Club. We are all in this together, and look forward to your support in respecting our COVID Secure protocols, helping both our staff and your fellow guests stay safe.
Be confident with our COVID Secure Commitment
We have carried out a full assessment of each site to help shape our new procedures.
a.
All of our campsites will be operating to COVID Secure guidelines as published by the Government.
41e983344953cc6e7323754e82130c86.png
We’ve increased the rigour of cleaning, sanitising and disinfecting common areas.
The centre of our pitches are at least 6 metres apart laterally.
We aim to provide a contactless arrival and departure process wherever possible.
Most, if not all of our common areas will be open with social distancing measures in place.
a.
This could include toilet blocks, laundry, information rooms, water & waste points.
Certificated Locations (CL) campsites and Affiliated Sites (AS)

We are working closely with our CL and AS network of campsites to support their reopening. If you have an existing booking with one of our CL’s or AS’s, or you wish to make a new booking, please contact the CL or AS direct. Their contact details can be found on the Club website here or on the UK Sites Booking App here.

Your first trip out to our sites

There are going to be lots of things on your mind about preparing your caravan, motorhome or campervan for your first trip out. We have produced a handy guide that will help you understand better the tasks and checks that you should be looking to do before going on the road.

The guide is available on the website here: www.camc.com/reopening

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)

We know that there will be a lot to take in when planning your first trip, so we have also produced some helpful FAQs to help you with some of your unanswered questions.

The FAQ’s are available on the website here: www.camc.com/reopening

Welcome back

We are really looking forward to seeing you on our sites and we aim to make your stay as enjoyable and safe as we can.

8964d12796bef926ea313d1de0d6c58c.png
c053b3cab6a58e0a9840074e2e5e690f.png

We booked a touring pitch In times BC (before covid) at haven Lakeland for the end of July. Looking at there website seems to indicate that touring facility blocks will be open at their site
great place had a good visit there in October with the kids

Sorry if I'm re-stating something already noted in this thread, but I can't see that anyone's already posted it. Fairly clear from C&MC here:
What about communal areas, such as toilet/shower blocks, dishwashing, food preparation and laundry facilities?

We intend, government legislation allowing, to open all toilet blocks and communal facilities on those sites that have them.
There will be restrictions on the number of people accessing all facilities at any one time and this may cause queues. We ask all members to be patient with each other and our staff, to follow social distancing guidelines and we highly recommend if you have on board facilities to utilise these wherever possible to support the Club through these unprecedented times.

The latest from Scottish Government relaxes the lockdown but still has the 5 mile limit for travel for all journeys recreational etc apart from visiting family. Seems we will have to wait for phase 3 in hope they will remove the 5 mile limit as that makes travel to sites all but impossible.

This thread is an interesting insight into people’s general hygiene thoughts. All of a sudden people are worried about using facilities after someone else in a communal ablution block because of C19. Suggests to me that those folk that are panicking now might need to have a look back at previous habits, hope it will make them realise there has always been lots of different things that can be caught and spread by poor hygiene in theses sort of areas long before C19
I have always taken care when using any facilities that others might have used before me, especially tolilets, showers, communal washing etc. It’s no different now.

The latest from Scottish Government relaxes the lockdown but still has the 5 mile limit for travel for all journeys recreational etc apart from visiting family. Seems we will have to wait for phase 3 in hope they will remove the 5 mile limit as that makes travel to sites all but impossible.

I note that the Scottish Government also restrict staying overnight in second homes unless you have allowed a single adult household reside there with whom you can ‘bubble’.

I wonder how many second household owners will direct their au pair to reside in their second home on arrival in the UK for the summer holiday?

If you go out in your car you may cause an accident so safer to NOT go out in your car....wrap yourself in cotton wool and don't ever venture out the house. Then you'll be safe, unless a meteorite hits your house at 1000mph!!
Quite right! But you need to be aware of the hazards so that you can assess what the risks are, then decide whether they are such that you want to ignore them or protect against them. I’ve no idea what the chances of getting COVID are from using a shared loo are but at least I now have some understanding of one of reasons campsites may be keeping them shut.

This thread is an interesting insight into people’s general hygiene thoughts. All of a sudden people are worried about using facilities after someone else in a communal ablution block because of C19. Suggests to me that those folk that are panicking now might need to have a look back at previous habits, hope it will make them realise there has always been lots of different things that can be caught and spread by poor hygiene in theses sort of areas long before C19
I have always taken care when using any facilities that others might have used before me, especially tolilets, showers, communal washing etc. It’s no different now.
Indeed, however barring some very minor and uniquely unusual ailments most of what you could catch would be treatable or merely a bit annoying for a few days. Sadly with Covid-19 it's a bit more hit and miss, you might be alright, you might end up under my care and I end up pulling a zip over your face after 3 weeks battling to breathe. Treatments are variable and there is no cure. But that you see is the risk so it probably would be, on balance, different in terms of risk assessment for each person.

Apparently the incidence of a lot of disease transmitted through poor hygiene has reduced significantly, attributed to the "wash hands" instruction.

My latest update as due to go away on 4th July.

Hopefully, as press are reporting a planned reduction to 1m social distancing and we are now in level 3 - the chances of going away on 4th July are improving.

I have booked with 5 campsites to do a tour of Devon /Cornwall. All have written saying we need our own shower and toilet facilities. Luckily we have the shower attachment as we have a Golden retriever who likes sand etc.

Today we are getting a Thetford 365 second hand but unused for £35 off eBay (Mrs Gvick is a bargain hunter). If social distancing does reduce to 1m then possibly more sites will open toilets and showers - at the moment I’m hedging my bets.

So all in all feeling quite positive- fingers toes crossed :thumb

If we do go away I will do some posts so other members can decide whether to venture out - I will post in “tour of Devon and Cornwall with a Golden Retriever.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/devon-and-cornwall-via-bath-with-golden-retriever-2020.33267/

Last edited:
Just tried booking a couple of campsites for late July and they all said I need to have my own toilet on board as they won't be opening their facilities no matter what government advice is, said they were going on NCC advice. Looks like I now need to go and buy a toilet which now all appear to have doubled in price !

Just tried booking a couple of campsites for late July and they all said I need to have my own toilet on board as they won't be opening their facilities no matter what government advice is, said they were going on NCC advice. Looks like I now need to go and buy a toilet which now all appear to have doubled in price !

Public toilets are on the list of facilities permitted to remain open throughout the pandemic.

See Schedule 2 part 3 below.

I never really understood why so many council facilities closed. It just led to people peeing and pooing in bushes.

I still don't get it. If your worried just stay home. Job done. Pun intended. Going camping won't be forced on anyone anymore than going to the pub will be. Or primark.or b and q. If you don't want to go then don't.

I still don't get it. If your worried just stay home. Job done. Pun intended. Going camping won't be forced on anyone anymore than going to the pub will be. Or primark.or b and q. If you don't want to go then don't.
Presume it’s about liability etc

I think it has always been about protecting others. For example, schools are closed not for the benefit of school children, who are barely affected by C-19, but for the benefit of their grandparents for whom one hug from an infected child could be fatal.

Just heard on radio that campsites will not be included in the 4th July reopenings :(

I think it has always been about protecting others. For example, schools are closed not for the benefit of school children, who are barely affected by C-19, but for the benefit of their grandparents for whom one hug from an infected child could be fatal.
More likely teachers. Not all children require grandparents to take them to school.

And money. A lot of public toilets haves closed during last year here in the Peak District.as local councils say they can't afford to keep them open. Some of the ones that did remain open had charges with turnstiles. I wouldn't be surprised if the councils use the Covid closures as a reason not to reopen even more of them.

I don't see why some "public" toilets cannot be turned into a business and be self financing. Attendant, £1 for adults 50p for children and the ticket is a money off voucher for local businesses. Always clean, functioning and in the present climate disinfected and numbers controlled. Have come across many such places on my travels abroad and the attendants take a pride in the facility.

I don't see why some "public" toilets cannot be turned into a business and be self financing. Attendant, £1 for adults 50p for children and the ticket is a money off voucher for local businesses. Always clean, functioning and in the present climate disinfected and numbers controlled. Have come across many such places on my travels abroad and the attendants take a pride in the facility.
Completely agree and some of the toilet buildings around here are up for sale. It will be interesting to see what happens to them.
I'm old enought to remember people saying saying they were going to "spend a penny". "Spend a pound" doesn't have quite the same ring to to it though.

Couldn't agree more. Many service stations in Europe have toilet facilities operated as a business separate from the main pump and eating areas. They are invariably well looked after and worth the 50 cents (maybe more now) for a visit. On my last visit to one, my cubicle was immediately wiped down for the next customer, seemingly done as a matter of course.

I just read about some business woman somewhere in the U.K. who has done this. The council were selling the toilets and she bought them and intends to staff them and charge. She has also persuaded local businesses to "chip in" towards the initial purchase cost, saying that the toilets are an asset to the town.

Big money to build one though, but that's why we pay our taxes.
Heres one thats just been finished in our town, its next to a big carpark
where respectable campers sometimes stay over and no-one bats an eyelid.

IMG_8718.JPG