Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Countdown 2 - Begins. Scandinavia 2017

Just got back from around 20 days trip. The weather was magic. From freezing and heavy snow to +20 and still mirror water fjords.
Atlantic road. :)
G882Ps6SkjNGcOvVsaii2PvAokw07UW8zUcPdn_ZUph04w0wizhqR80c8apVJG6mU4GAVNJ7D4IupeO9oZmyJ_CvIcl9N0gA2i4Jzdf8EohTdf0cyRLwOO_TvGg8StVZtlIuwOsmfN_vsO9NuaQCQiHooxy6Y5DviGEC0Rx0qygJv32eVLFtXQ7XIF8WW3w2uYyVa9f8PxwXvdirQLeMrAX5hX4d7wEHxAfY5CKpsCAryR0BswyVeO12V5EtX1MYJJRjfnp53R0XMzJVNJYfc-dvig9v8ZW889Gn4hq-Pl4gNIoOm-LIalcVUcoI4fiY0__JwfjwbDMa1VbkrzFYK17-YpXz85POlgVBT3FLkM73XOJj7d-CcFudONy-bjp_HTsmQ6vdFltkBPges8t4_dmlIFYD15SPHzfZr2ToUCLb38oFnxd3Yp_SPnQkf-FoEaL_ArJv7NnvmANbs65O7zgxFR845DunxMn--gn6SRUcP135dh1PuDiRYQz_wV-033VyHwrWSI4BaOTQRgAMt0YPVty4IVr9oogs9m0tt-GwitO23hed6KXRCht1tQYO8lMXpdeUD3mXiqT8m4ZQJzhGxr1KbZRt8TzCl7p_-H0FTi5_J4w2Zrs82u6_goNKMocRydhaIxOsDkmdJkJeOvCTwvU_31VD7wKLSkgiC_Y=w1024

Finally got to Harwich, courtesy of Sally SatNav diverting me around the A 12, that was totally blocked.
IMG_0268.JPG
Although we didn't sail until 23.30 hrs we boarded at 21.30. So fish and chips and a G&T followed by a good nights sleep.
Bright and sunny at the Hook of Holland. Off the boat by 0830. Passport control had a peek inside to make sure I was alone. Don't know who I would be smuggling in?
Anyway, off we went. Heavy traffic around Rotterdam link road. To be expected - rush hour. Then onto the Motorways and the Autobahn. Speed limit on the Autobahn of 130 km/hr between the hours 0600 - 2000 hrs. So at night you can go like the clappers.:)
Stopped near Osnabruck for lunch and picked a campsite just short of Copenhagen to aim for.
The A7 near Hamburg is a nightmare due to road works covering about 30 km +, but we did keep moving. 2 lanes of traffic but the outside lane was only 2 m wide and the inner lane just wide enough for the lorries, just. Stayed with the lorries.
Think I'm going th name the California " The Grim Reaper ". Had to clean the windscreen 3 times because of the insects.
Well I'm now pitched up for the night, here.
IMG_0269.PNG
IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_6353.JPG

Forgot to mention. There was a Danish Immigration post set up on the border with Germany.
All vehicles were being checked for hidden passengers. Lorries were being inspected as well. Didn't check passports or anything, just looked inside and wanted tailgate opened.
Nothing on the German side, only vehicles entering Denmark. I wonder if there will be anything on the Danish/Swedish Border?

And before anyone makes some comment about Brexit, they seemed to be paying more attention to the German vehicles, especially the black BMWs with blacked out windows. The drivers had to open them or open the doors.

Nice you are on your way. Sweden has now stopped with the extended checkings so you should be cleared ok. That why we have shengen :)
The best site to check weather here is yr.no. They promise ok weather for this weekend.

It is ugliest on the Swedish border (over the bridge to Malmo). My friend's car was shaken up for more than an hour.
A quick glance that there are no illegal immigrants in the car didn't satisfy them. They've searched the vehicle while asking my friend questions with his girlfriend.
So much for the Schengen. :D
And he is an EU citizen and doesn't look suspicious.

We got stopped as well but they only wanted to check the documents.

If you dont absoluteley love campings I would take the time to free camp in Sweden. It would make your schedule easier too.

If you dont absoluteley love campings I would take the time to free camp in Sweden. It would make your schedule easier too.
Thanks for the suggestion. Last trip I travelled up the coast and down through the middle of Sweden and loved it. This time it's about travelling down Norway, no disrespect to Sweden. Next time it will be about the South of both countries. The Capitals, of both, will be visited as City Breaks and stay in the Centre courtesy of British Airways.

Already got enough Air Miles for a return flight to Moscow and that's before our upcoming trips to see the kids in Australia and California.:cheers

We were rejected from like 4 campings in a row because we didn't have some special camping card. So lots of wild camping opportunities. Loved it. Just easier to find a good place further from the highways.

We were rejected from like 4 campings in a row because we didn't have some special camping card. So lots of wild camping opportunities. Loved it. Just easier to find a good place further from the highways.

What camping card did they expect you to got ....?

Forgot to mention. There was a Danish Immigration post set up on the border with Germany.
All vehicles were being checked for hidden passengers. Lorries were being inspected as well. Didn't check passports or anything, just looked inside and wanted tailgate opened.
Nothing on the German side, only vehicles entering Denmark. I wonder if there will be anything on the Danish/Swedish Border?

And before anyone makes some comment about Brexit, they seemed to be paying more attention to the German vehicles, especially the black BMWs with blacked out windows. The drivers had to open them or open the doors.
Not sure if you are going near Kalmar, you may be a little too far north today? There is a bridge there that is over 6km long. Its quite a site if you get the chance to see it.

Sounds like a great trip.

I can vouch for the M&S canned curries. No need to even boil up rice - just add pre-boiled rice you can get in a sealed pouch and add to the single pan and warm through with the curry. You could also stir in a tin of spinach and you've got saag chicken or whatever, in 5 minutes flat.
I can also recommend Tesco tin chicken jalfreze, we do add onion mushroom peppers and a chilli.

What camping card did they expect you to got ....?
I think this one.
Was sure it is just an optional card as ACSI and similar.
Though lots of Swedish campings reject the stay and say the card is mandatory. We just camped wild and moved to Norway sooner than planned. :D

Don't know if you've considered the Norway in a Nutshell trip.
We did it last year from Voss. Nice site there by the lake,
Train from Voss to Myrdal wher you get the Flambana down to Flam. Boat down the fjiords to Gudvangen and then coach back to Voss.
Booked it all the previous day at Voss station.
Nice relaxing day after driving all the time.

Well, another day, another Country, Sweden, and another campsite. Didn't realise until I turned into the driveway that it was the same campsite I stayed in on my last trip, and they remembered " The Welshman and his VW ". So I'm here about 40 miles south of Stockholm.
IMG_0272.PNG

A word of warning for anyone travelling on the E20 in Denmark. Major roadworks about 40 Kms south of Copenhagen extending for some 10 Kms affecting both sides. Traffic que heading South was almost 15kms long and growing as I passed. Major reconstruction of the road and bridges.
The 2 Toll Bridges in Denmark are absolutely incredible engineering feats. http://www.dk-camp.dk/pages/webside.asp?articleguid=20672&languid=3

Anyway, in total covered 537 miles, effortlessly. Interesting Sweat Shop at one of the Services.
IMG_6362.JPG

Now set up for the evening here.
IMG_0273.jpg

On the banks of a lovely inlet. Very sunny and bitterly cold.

IMG_6366.JPG

I was cruising along at 130 km/hr, on the E20 when I was passed by a new T6 California. Couldn't see if it was a Beach or Ocean, but the driver had a new use for the bike rack. He was carrying a load of logs, cut to the width of the Cali and piled high, and held on with straps. They were about 6" diameter and there were quit a few. Must have exceeded 4 bikes worth. Obviously didn't want to get the inside dirty.:D

If you do not want to be in a picture, consider the speed limits. Speed cameras are preceded by an instruction mark. Police with or without painted cars or motorcycles are not uncommon! Drive safely and have fun!
Ps: There is an interesting cooperation in Europe regarding traffic offenses and the collection of fines!

If you do not want to be in a picture, consider the speed limits. Speed cameras are preceded by an instruction mark. Police with or without painted cars or motorcycles are not uncommon! Drive safely and have fun!
Ps: There is an interesting cooperation in Europe regarding traffic offenses and the collection of fines!
Always observe the speed limits, that's what cruise control is for. What I can't get over is the way drivers in Sweden and Denmark and Germany just seem to pull out as they indicate to pass a lorry or something slower in their way. I seem to be forever slowing down if I come across a lorry and see someone coming in the overtaking lane whereas the car in front just pulls out. I prefer the 3 lane roads where they alternate the dual carriageway from side to side.
Thanks for the advice anyway. At least you don't have Average Speed cameras for miles and miles of roadworks with nobody working.
Mind you with cruise control set to the speed limit I'm being passed a lot more often than I pass other cars - lorries excluded.:)

Day 3. Covered 353 miles today, so about 1300+ in total. Another 2 days to get to Tromso, but tomorrow I'm meeting up with one of our Swedish Forum members @Olle to talk Californias. So a day off.
At the moment I'm here. 300 miles north of Stockholm. The motorway is now a 3 lane road with alternating dual carriageways, so slower, but fewer lorries as it is Saturday. The campsite is officially closed for another month but the owner lives on-site and can always take campervans/motor homes on the hard standing pitches of which there are 10.
IMG_0274.PNG

Found the site from the Archie's App.

IMG_0275.jpg

I'm the only one here and have a stunning view over the estuary.
IMG_6370.JPG

IMG_6369.JPG

IMG_6368.JPG

Nice Paul, short trip for you tomorrow, it means lots of "Calitalk", You are wellcome to Umea!
Olle

Seems the weather is nice ....love the fact you are allone at those campsites makes you feel like wildcamp but still have facilitys.

Also great effort by @Olle
Who just posted his first post so i need to welcome him....
:thumb

Thank You!, hotel california, up here we have the coldest May since 70 years. I hope WelshGas comes with warmer weather from GB.
Olle

Really enjoying this travel blog. Sweden is not on my bucket list but it is clearly a lovely place.

Really enjoying this travel blog. Sweden is not on my bucket list but it is clearly a lovely place.

For me the north is a place i love to again afther we been three weeks touring in the south of Norway .
But it takes 1000km from Belgium thru Germany&Denmark to get to the start and 1000km back so it involves a lot of driving .
We did 5000km in three weeks and not even get up that high.
Nature is great , but still the UK has also very nice nature.
Next year i will go to Schotland or back to Norway ....