Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Countdown 3 - Begins. Scandinavia 2019

This will be my 3rd trip. Visited Knordkapp in 2015 travelling via Sweden. Tromso and the Lofoten Islands + The Atlantic Highway in 2017 and driving down through Norway. This year concentrating on the Southern half.
In the south, cHeck out the drive from/to Lysebotn. F4362FEB-9758-43D2-9188-5CD81324557E.png

Excellent. I’m heading from Trondheim to Lofoten Islands now. Any suggestions?
The new bridge at Narvik might be opened.

I drove all the way down to A at the tip. Stayed a night at the campsite opposite the ferry terminal just short of A.
Very picturesque, and a delightful odour of dried fish from the numerous drying racks. Different climate and landscape.

Just finished inputting some Aiming points in the SatNav.
So disembarking at the Hook of Holland - aim for Copenhagen then onto Kristiansand, Stavanger, Lysebotn, Bergen, Laerdal Tunnel, Trondheim, Trollsteigen, Oslo.

Normally select the interesting route and aim to stop about 3-4pm somewhere.

7 days or so from Hook of Holland to Kristiansand and the return from Oslo area thus leaving 14 days or so swanning around Southern Norway. Sometimes taking ferries or driving round. We'll see how things pan out.

Things to do:
Some Foreign currency, Euro, Danish, got some Swedish and Norwegian currency for incidentals and sometimes camping fees. Normally spend what's left on fuel before leaving the various countries, but virtually all garages/bridge tolls/ferries take cards as do a lot of campsites if needed.

Green Card

Fill the water tank, oh and a supply of Cadburys Chocolate and Digestives. Gin & Tonic already loaded.

When will you be starting the trip ?

Green Card ordered. Just the currency to sort after Easter.

Hi, sorry, what is the Green Card for? I didn't think we needed any other documents.
We are planning to go to Norway this summer for 3 and 1/2 weeks. We want to get to the Lofoten Islands. No specific plans made yet, but have just booked the shuttle crossing.

Hi, sorry, what is the Green Card for? I didn't think we needed any other documents.
We are planning to go to Norway this summer for 3 and 1/2 weeks. We want to get to the Lofoten Islands. No specific plans made yet, but have just booked the shuttle crossing.
You don’t need it if we remain in the EU, but who knows.

If we leave, the EU all UK drivers will need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive a vehicle outside the UK. There are three of these depending on the countries you are visiting, all available from your local main Post Office.

A Green Card will also be needed and that is available from your vehicle insurer and ensures your vehicle insurance will cover you while driving abroad. This is available a couple of weeks before you leave.

All of these documents must be carried safely with you, including your UK driving licence, V5c registration document, and your vehicle insurance certificate. Not to forget your passports too of course.

Full details are on the DVLA website.

Alan

Are copies of the V5C Ok? Anyone ever had their V5C checked whilst abroad?

I believe it has to be the original. However, for company cars, there is an alternate document that has to be supplied by the company.

We have not been stopped while abroad so far, so never had our papers checked.
There's always first time though!

Alan

I've been stopped a number of times - most memorably by a pair of venal 'police' in Montenegro in 2000 for fictitious speeding -- they were very happy with some cigarettes and weren't interested in paperwork at all....I still remember vividly the look of glee on their faces having been presented with 200 Marlboro's (bought in India) as we sped off. oh how times have changed

But, seriously, I don't remember anyone ever checking anything other than my passport when I've been stopped (but now I do follow the official advice and take the recommended documents, although just a copy of v5c)

No and Yes.

#1. In a Peugeot 406 on our Honeymoon in Slovenia. We didn’t have the V5 with us, so I gave the police who’d pulled us over (in a random check) the recent MOT certificate which they seemed to accept as the V5!

#2. At the border between Bulgaria and Romania. They asked for the “car passport” so I could only guess that it was the V5 they required.

#3. At the border between Romania and Hungary.

#4. After a minor prang in Swidnica, Poland. At that time I was storing important documents under the upper berth bed slats so I had to pop the roof at a busy junction to retrieve the papers.

You should bring the originals. Find a good hiding place which is reasonably accessible- but not the lockable glove compartment.

Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania are non-Schengen countries with land borders with Schengen countries. There is a good chance you will be asked for the V5 entering or exiting one of those countries.

Last edited:
I’ve always taken the Original V5c, stored securely, + 2 copies which are at hand and obvious copies. Will do the same with the Green Card. Also a few copies of my Insurance Certificate.
Have never been asked for the documents but there is always the first time.

Yes on the N10 in France at the Châteauneuf exit. Got pulled for speeding and he wanted my V5, presumably to see whether he could book me at the over 3.5t limit and for being in the outside lane. As it was, it just cost me 60 eur.

Roadworks still ongoing on the E6?
I can’t confirm I’m afraid. I had to do an impromptu drive from Tromsø to Stavanger due to the SAS pilot strike. I took the lowlands through Sweden, which is pretty rapid. Door to door in 30 hours. It’s very much low season just now so the roads are empty.

I can’t confirm I’m afraid. I had to do an impromptu drive from Tromsø to Stavanger due to the SAS pilot strike. I took the lowlands through Sweden, which is pretty rapid. Door to door in 30 hours. It’s very much low season just now so the roads are empty.
Definitely quicker through Sweden.:thumb

Well all boarded. Welcoming G&T. Big accident on the M4 westbound in the roadworks just past Reading just 10 cars ahead of me, dumper lorry, 3 vans and 3 cars. No one hurt and lots of roadworkers attending. Inner and outer lanes blocked but I was in middle lane and able to sneak through before the Police and Recovery Vehicles arrived or I would probably still be there.
598FE4CC-C1BA-488A-A4B1-EAB9B43B8542.jpeg

The satellite missed the Ferry.:cheers