Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Countdown 4 Begins. Scandinavia 2020

Well, Paul, you planned for 2020 and then Covid hit your plans. Now you're planning for 2022, and WW3 might hit your plans... Let's hope not!
We did North-Scandinavia last summer. This link has some tips and ideas from that trip that may be of use or interest to you. Here some (well..: a lot!) photo's.

AM-JKLXqRbcB0Yg1MGO8AJBFKKP0KnMjasHnn2U6DxRtVrlMP_d9nFlZv3-HQe7Hyr8IPcwWaFLNqZbpMiPN7-uvW4Q2fzaKA7NnN1U3KGgSO9HVmxEQNnkkSlc4XRHO1-cf19-MnVJNHW76zhFytMTqiXtK=w1600-h1067-no

When you come through NL, going up or down, let's try and meet up again! We can arrange details closer to the time...

Yes, Countdown 2 details my visit to the Lofoten Islands. Very busy in the height of the holiday season I gather.
Did you wild camp a lot last time?

Well, Paul, you planned for 2020 and then Covid hit your plans. Now you're planning for 2022, and WW3 might hit your plans... Let's hope not!
We did North-Scandinavia last summer. This link has some tips and ideas from that trip that may be of use or interest to you. Here some (well..: a lot!) photo's.

AM-JKLXqRbcB0Yg1MGO8AJBFKKP0KnMjasHnn2U6DxRtVrlMP_d9nFlZv3-HQe7Hyr8IPcwWaFLNqZbpMiPN7-uvW4Q2fzaKA7NnN1U3KGgSO9HVmxEQNnkkSlc4XRHO1-cf19-MnVJNHW76zhFytMTqiXtK=w1600-h1067-no

When you come through NL, going up or down, let's try and meet up again! We can arrange details closer to the time...
On the way back would be excellent.

Don’t think I’ll be going anywhere near that sign.:Nailbiting

Did you wild camp a lot last time?
Probably about a 1/3 of the time , but I like a nice hot shower and most of the campsites were empty or close to it. Many were self service. Fill out a registration form, payment in cash, put both in the supplied envelope into postbox, or someone came around in the evening payment in cash or they had a wifi card machine. All the amenities were available, but no onsite shops/restaurants in early May the further north you went.

Things are on the up. From March 23rd there is no longer a requirement for a PCR test within 48 hrs of travel to the Netherlands.
Travel insurance organised and some currency for the trip.
Route, I haven’t the foggiest. Copenhagen when I get off the ferry , then Knordkapp is as far as I have got. Otherwise it will be decided on the day.

Look forward to read more about your trip! All the best @WelshGas
Questions about the mentioned amenities: I remember you were using some kind of wifi extender/LTE extender from motorhome wifi (?). Is that kit still in use or did your opinion about it changed over the past couple trips?

Look forward to read more about your trip! All the best @WelshGas
Questions about the mentioned amenities: I remember you were using some kind of wifi extender/LTE extender from motorhome wifi (?). Is that kit still in use or did your opinion about it changed over the past couple trips?
I use both. I have a Huawi Mifi with a 3 data sim usually, but if there is a poor cell net signal and the campsite has wifi then I use the extender. Haven't been without wifi yet.
Scandinavia has excellent mobile coverage. They don't seem to have a long distance landline infrastructure.

Some helpful advice to fellow travellers to Norway.

1. ALL Toll roads and Tunnels are now automated. You will receive a bill from the relevant authorities for toll charges which should be correct, but not always.
2. The authorities are now introducing differential Toll based on the vehicle emissions . If you do not register your vehicle then you will pay the highest possible toll for your vehicle.
Register here.

If you register your vehicle here for Toll Payment then all the tolls should be correct for your vehicle. You get a monthly Invoice and easy methods of payment to a UK bank if you don't register a card.

Are you in Norway right now @WelshGas? Or leaving soon? Either way, have a nice trip!

Well, Sod's Law strikes.
Had decided to limit social contacts prior to my trip and then on Wednesday woke up tired, with a throat tickle and runny nose. Yes, you guessed it - Lateral Flow Test +tve. So 5 days + quarantine .
If this infection turns out to be mild and I've recovered in time to catch the ferry on the 2nd May at least I won't have to worry about catching it on my travels as I will have had the equivalent of my 2nd Booster shot and reading the literature 2nd infections are virtually unheard of within 90 days of the 1st and that's in patients who are unvaccinated.
So, gently, gently and keep my fingers crossed.
My wife is -tve so far. Have heard of a number of examples where just one partner has caught it and not the other. Strange times we live in.:headbang:headbang

Oh that s*cks. Hope the timing works out well and you still get to go on the trip.

During a recent skiing trip we spend a week in a cabin with my parents and my wife tested positive. My father tested positive a week or so later. My mother followed a few days after and I never got it. A week in a cabin, 24 hours in a car next to my wife, and all the following days taking care of her at home, sharing a bed, etc. Never caught it. So there's hope ;-)

Well, Sod's Law strikes.
Had decided to limit social contacts prior to my trip and then on Wednesday woke up tired, with a throat tickle and runny nose. Yes, you guessed it - Lateral Flow Test +tve. So 5 days + quarantine .
If this infection turns out to be mild and I've recovered in time to catch the ferry on the 2nd May at least I won't have to worry about catching it on my travels as I will have had the equivalent of my 2nd Booster shot and reading the literature 2nd infections are virtually unheard of within 90 days of the 1st and that's in patients who are unvaccinated.
So, gently, gently and keep my fingers crossed.
My wife is -tve so far. Have heard of a number of examples where just one partner has caught it and not the other. Strange times we live in.:headbang:headbang
Yes my better half had it a month ago, tested positive for 8 days, clear on the 9th.
We slept in the same bed throughout and I never caught it...still think I only had it once in April 2020 before testing was available outside hospital.
Finders crossed you'll be able to travel.

Finally good news. 5 days quarantine, days 2 and 3 were the worse. Day 6, today, test negative. Gave the Cali a wash and brush up yesterday, checked tyres and all fluids, including oil level unchanged since last service 5,000 miles ago despite it being a 180 now on 107,350 miles, 20220425_122714.jpg and started loading up today. Paperwork in hand. Just have to print off my Covid Vaccination certificate on Sunday and away I go.

Finally good news. 5 days quarantine, days 2 and 3 were the worse. Day 6, today, test negative. Gave the Cali a wash and brush up yesterday, checked tyres and all fluids, including oil level unchanged since last service 5,000 miles ago despite it being a 180 now on 107,350 miles, View attachment 92286 and started loading up today. Paperwork in hand. Just have to print off my Covid Vaccination certificate on Sunday and away I go.
You should also have a Covid Recovery Pass on the NHS app which is valid for 90 days.

Finally good news. 5 days quarantine, days 2 and 3 were the worse. Day 6, today, test negative. Gave the Cali a wash and brush up yesterday, checked tyres and all fluids, including oil level unchanged since last service 5,000 miles ago despite it being a 180 now on 107,350 miles, View attachment 92286 and started loading up today. Paperwork in hand. Just have to print off my Covid Vaccination certificate on Sunday and away I go.
Paintwork is in pristine condition for a T5 (well any California!). What's your secret?

Paintwork is in pristine condition for a T5 (well any California!). What's your secret?
Agree. I was surprised as well. Wash it by hand about once a month with a bucket and hose. None of this 2 bucket process. Use Autoglym Wash & Wax and every 6 months Autoglym Rapid Ceramic Polish for the last 2 years. And it is never garaged. It's come up well for a 7+ yr old.

Some helpful advice to fellow travellers to Norway.

1. ALL Toll roads and Tunnels are now automated. You will receive a bill from the relevant authorities for toll charges which should be correct, but not always.
2. The authorities are now introducing differential Toll based on the vehicle emissions . If you do not register your vehicle then you will pay the highest possible toll for your vehicle.
Register here.

If you register your vehicle here for Toll Payment then all the tolls should be correct for your vehicle. You get a monthly Invoice and easy methods of payment to a UK bank if you don't register a card.

@WelshGas this is helpful reminder for plans we made 2 years ago. It looks like it will finally happen for us at the end of May too.

I'm reading old notes, I signed up for AutoPass and EPC. There now seems to be a new one EPASS24? Also it seems the AutoPass tag is for residents / long trips? Have you got experience of the Ferry AutoPass, it appears we load £300 credit on our account for the discount ferries?

3AA19A3A-1D63-4675-90EF-66F5C60E8E02.jpeg

@WelshGas this is helpful reminder for plans we made 2 years ago. It looks like it will finally happen for us at the end of May too.

I'm reading old notes, I signed up for AutoPass and EPC. There now seems to be a new one EPASS24? Also it seems the AutoPass tag is for residents / long trips? Have you got experience of the Ferry AutoPass, it appears we load £300 credit on our account for the discount ferries?

View attachment 92297
I just pay by card for the ferries, however on 6 ferry trips to date they didn’t get round to me and others and just waved us off to avoid any delay.
There are other toll system companies but you register a card and charges are automatically taken. I prefer getting an invoice on my return.

I just pay by card for the ferries, however on 6 ferry trips to date they didn’t get round to me and others and just waved us off to avoid any delay.
There are other toll system companies but you register a card and charges are automatically taken. I prefer getting an invoice on my return.
So ironically the automatic ferry payment may result in more expense from your experience?

So it sounds like as long as we're registered with a billing company we'll get the same deal?

So ironically the automatic ferry payment may result in more expense from your experience?

So it sounds like as long as we're registered with a billing company we'll get the same deal?
It’s worked like that so far. Even if you don’t register you’ll eventually get a bill and now there is Toll variation depending on emissions in some areas possibly incorrect tolls if not registered for emissions.
As far as the ferries are concerned the shorter the crossing and the fewer HGVs then occasionally they can’t get round all the cars in time. Ferry charges can seem random but it’s all dependant on time/ fuel saved.
Might be a short crossing but a very long drive around so a higher charge, so I gather.