Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Countdown 4 Begins. Scandinavia 2020

Everything was just like 2019. A slight delay at Passport Control in the Netherlands as they were scanning ALL the passports. But no Customs check for contraband food and nor did they check Covid Passes.

Was this a delayed post, or did you really arrive at the port over 5 hours early?
Fairly certain it was an overnight crossing to the Hook of Holland from Harwich.

Fairly certain it was an overnight crossing to the Hook of Holland from Harwich.
Yes, my comments related to the 5:34 pm post ‘first in line’ and 11:17 pm ‘and we’re off’.
I was trying to gauge his level of enthusiasm for the trip! :)

Yes, my comments related to the 5:34 pm post ‘first in line’ and 11:17 pm ‘and we’re off’.
I was trying to gauge his level of enthusiasm for the trip! :)
I did arrive very early. Bank Holiday traffic and SWMBO was off to Tennis so no point waiting. I was on board just after 9pm, so had a wee dram and dinner.

My first campsite at Hamburg. Ideal for visiting the city as there is a bus direct to the centre.
350 miles or so. My trusty “ steam powered “ RNS510 SatNav did an excellent job. 7 hrs with 3 comfort stops including coffee and lunch. This morning Google Maps was quoting over 7 hrs without stops. The only time we slowed down was the A7 mega roadworks in Hamburg. They’ve been there since 2019 and before.
179A97D5-700A-4FD9-9C2A-AE35E0B98C63.jpeg

Some observations along the way.
I looks like someone has sowed the motorway central reservation and verges with oil seed rape. It is everywhere in the Netherlands and Belgium, but very little in the fields. In Germany it was confined to the fields only.
On the Autobahn, if you see a car in the mirror, and haven’t overtaken it, be very aware. Despite doing 130kph, it sometimes felt I was going backwards when they passed. Some Autobahn drivers seem to think the faster you go, the quicker you get there and the less fuel you use.
Most diesel is 2€ +. Just filled up at a local garage at 2.004€/L.
cars and vans towing trailers have a ”100” sticker on the back of the trailer. However on the autobahn I think they take that as the minimum speed. I was passed a number of times by cars and vans with trailers and I was doing 130+ and they just whistled pass.
All in all an excellent 1st day. Copenhagen tomorrow.

Some observations along the way.
I looks like someone has sowed the motorway central reservation and verges with oil seed rape. It is everywhere in the Netherlands and Belgium, but very little in the fields. In Germany it was confined to the fields only.
On the Autobahn, if you see a car in the mirror, and haven’t overtaken it, be very aware. Despite doing 130kph, it sometimes felt I was going backwards when they passed. Some Autobahn drivers seem to think the faster you go, the quicker you get there and the less fuel you use.
Most diesel is 2€ +. Just filled up at a local garage at 2.004€/L.
cars and vans towing trailers have a ”100” sticker on the back of the trailer. However on the autobahn I think they take that as the minimum speed. I was passed a number of times by cars and vans with trailers and I was doing 130+ and they just whistled pass.
All in all an excellent 1st day. Copenhagen tomorrow.
Enjoy your adventure!

Some Autobahn drivers seem to think the faster you go, the quicker you get there and the less fuel you use.
You do get there quicker.
Although you may use a bit more fuel, but time is money ;)

My first campsite at Hamburg. Ideal for visiting the city as there is a bus direct to the centre.
350 miles or so. My trusty “ steam powered “ RNS510 SatNav did an excellent job. 7 hrs with 3 comfort stops including coffee and lunch. This morning Google Maps was quoting over 7 hrs without stops. The only time we slowed down was the A7 mega roadworks in Hamburg. They’ve been there since 2019 and before.
View attachment 92628
Wich campsite were you camping in Hamburg?

Went to Hamburg a few years ago, there’s a great ferry route you can take up and down the river - almost like a tour bus of the river - worth doing if you ever have more time there. You can hop off at beaches and bars en route.

Day 2 and now in Denmark, just on the edge of Copenhagen. Popular site for water sports with a marina and slipway. Plenty of caravans pitched up for the summer but virtually all unoccupied.
Completely automatic book and pay system as reception only open at weekends until end of May.
Good trip. The California is an excellent long distance vehicle , only limited by the physiological requirements of the driver.
Had an excellent beef burger at a Danish services. Made by hand, literally. The burger was mixed, shaped and cooked in front of me. Lettuce and tomato cut. Only the bun was already made.
Also saw a pothole but it was already being repaired.

FFCDBA90-4AF1-4F32-9631-1AD94CAFA1A1.jpeg

Day 2 and now in Denmark, just on the edge of Copenhagen. Popular site for water sports with a marina and slipway. Plenty of caravans pitched up for the summer but virtually all unoccupied.
Completely automatic book and pay system as reception only open at weekends until end of May.
Good trip. The California is an excellent long distance vehicle , only limited by the physiological requirements of the driver.
Had an excellent beef burger at a Danish services. Made by hand, literally. The burger was mixed, shaped and cooked in front of me. Lettuce and tomato cut. Only the bun was already made.
Also saw a pothole but it was already being repaired.

View attachment 92657
Sounds very civilised.
How do you choose your camp sites?

Sounds very civilised.
How do you choose your camp sites?
I use the ASCI app, ( you buy the data for individual countries or group of countries, costs about £2.99/group )which gives a lot of information, reviews , costs, GPS position, website etc. These are all of a certain minimum standard , or I use Archies app. Which just gives you the location on a map , GPS and contact or website. This app covers ALL sites , the good, the bad and the ugly, some 32,000 in Europe.

I still haven’t been asked for my Covid 19 NHS pass, not even at the Danish Police Passport check on the German/Danish border.
You can also buy a Discounted Return Pass for the Oresund Bridge that is valid for 30 days online.

9D7C77B3-D5A6-4C39-B42E-BDCD9DD558F4.jpeg

Well now in Sweden, having crossed the Oresund Bridge first thing in glorious sunshine. A little cooler, but glorious sunshine and with a pitch next to the sea. Unfortunately the Beachside restaurant doesn’t open until the 1st June.
Major traffic works around Gothenburg but no real holdup. SatNav got in a tizz as new roads/diversions but the big sign saying E6/Oslo was easy to follow.
Norway tomorrow and then the fun begins.
One good thing no roaming charges on my phone EE PAYG plan nor on my MiFi with a 3 pre-loaded data sim. Both working as before.

AB569C6F-A4EC-4A3C-8F0B-A1195C493B91.jpeg

Well now in Sweden, having crossed the Oresund Bridge first thing in glorious sunshine. A little cooler, but glorious sunshine and with a pitch next to the sea. Unfortunately the Beachside restaurant doesn’t open until the 1st June.
Major traffic works around Gothenburg but no real holdup. SatNav got in a tizz as new roads/diversions but the big sign saying E6/Oslo was easy to follow.
Norway tomorrow and then the fun begins.
One good thing no roaming charges on my phone EE PAYG plan nor on my MiFi with a 3 pre-loaded data sim. Both working as before.

View attachment 92688
Use Waze on your mobile as a back up. I find maps / diversions usually updated very quickly.

Use Waze on your mobile as a back up. I find maps / diversions usually updated very quickly.
Waze would have had the same problems. They have built new underpasses and changed the road layout temporarily. It wasn't a problem , we kept moving and there is no alternative route.