Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Discussion regarding T6 ONLY roof corrosion

I am going to remove my seal at the weekend and have a look for some bubbles, why are all the other T6 owners so scared to do this??? I think if there is a problem with the T6 we need VW to know as a matter of urgency, without this information how can we expect them to deal with it in a timely manner?

Tomatoman . Very interesting . I came to the same conclusion last week having checked under my seal ( 2015 t5 9k miles garaged with dehumidifier ) and having found early corrosion . I didn't want to get involved in body repairs after reading other members experiences so decided to refit a new seal ( there is rust inside the old seal ) with lots of silicone grease to exclude water and probably replace the seal and silicone grease every couple of years . I ordered a new seal last week and picked it up today but guess what ? There is more rust/ corrosion in the brand new seal than in mine ! It seems to be mainly in the straight front section however . My dealer has been very helpful and has promptly ordered a new seal for this Friday . I'm not holding my breath though . The corrosion would be very hard to spot with the naked eye but very obvious with my x5 Zeis loupes .

So there is the problem . New Californias aluminium roofs are being fitted with seals with exposed corroding steel inside that are promptly filled with water and then never dry out . What could possibly go wrong ! I'd also add that the paint on the edge of the roof is very thin and didn't appear to have any primer where it had failed . I have taken lots of 1:1 photos .

Last edited:
Tomatoman . Very interesting . I came to the same conclusion last week having checked under my seal ( 2015 t5 9k miles garaged with dehumidifier ) and having found early corrosion . I didn't want to get involved in body repairs after reading other members experiences so decided to refit a new seal ( there is rust inside the old seal ) with lots of silicone grease to exclude water and probably replace the seal and silicone grease every couple of years . I ordered a new seal last week and picked it up today but guess what ? There is more rust/ corrosion in the brand new seal than in mine ! It seems to be mainly in the straight front section however . My dealer has been very helpful and has promptly ordered a new seal for this Friday . I'm not holding my breath though . The corrosion would be very hard to spot with the naked eye but very obvious with my x5 Zeis loupes .

So there is the problem . New Californias aluminium roofs are being fitted with seals with exposed corroding steel inside that are promptly filled with water and then never dry out . What could possibly go wrong ! I'd also add that the paint on the edge of the roof is very thin and didn't appear to have any primer where it had failed . I have taken lots of 1:1 photos .

Unbelievable ! This needs raising with VW senior management asap. It is almost like they want the roof to corrode.

I am going to remove my seal at the weekend and have a look for some bubbles, why are all the other T6 owners so scared to do this??? I think if there is a problem with the T6 we need VW to know as a matter of urgency, without this information how can we expect them to deal with it in a timely manner?
No one is scared. If you check early in your warranty period and have the problem VW will repair it and you will get a 1 or 2 or maybe 3 year warranty on the repair. So you check early in the 1st year. VW repair. 2 year warranty. So out of warranty at 3 yrs old.
Delay checking to end of warranty. If you have the problem VW will repair and there will be a 2 yr warranty taking you to year 5.
Also, note that the Warranty for the repair will be with the Body Shop, not VW, who will advise that you take up any subsequent warranty claim for the repair with the Body Shop as they didn't adhere to VW's repair procedure. Very difficult to prove/disprove.:(

Delay checking to end of warranty. If you have the problem VW will repair and there will be a 2 yr warranty taking you to year 5.
Plus you might have the additional bonus of a two year delay in the repair taking place, taking you to year 7.

It is not about burring your head in the sand (as others have suggested), or ignoring the problem: it is about managing a known issue to your best possible advantage.

Of course, each person's situation will be different, and if you plan to keep the vehicle for three years before selling, a different strategy might work to your best advantage.

Trebor, very interesting observations. Thanks for your post. Could you upload your best photos to MEDIA and advise when done so? Also when you have your new seal can you ask your dealer if there are any special instructions for fitting? If there are I would like to see a copy if possible. Thanks JW

It's a tricky balance. If you delayed too much on the original front section repair then you ended up with the inferior "plastic cap" repair.

Who knows what VW might do in the future, although it's difficult to imagine them coming up with an even less effective repair for the main roof in the future!

I think this is a key finding, I though the metal became exposed through time but this is just negligence and lack of supplier control by VW.

Plus you might have the additional bonus of a two year delay in the repair taking place, taking you to year 7.

It is not about burring your head in the sand (as others have suggested), or ignoring the problem: it is about managing a known issue to your best possible advantage.

Of course, each person's situation will be different, and if you plan to keep the vehicle for three years before selling, a different strategy might work to your best advantage.

As someone about to part with around £50K at the beginning of February, with still the option to pull out, I find this corrosion issue deeply troubling. My inclination is to still go ahead, but expect the worse at some stage. As I intend to keep the vehicle long term I tend to agree with WelshGas and the Crispin Family and to check the vehicle just before the warranty expires. For me this means VW have another few years to come up with a permanent solution. It can't be rocket science - there is an aluminum roof, primer, paint and a seal at the end of the day. Personally I think it is a lack of will/leadership within VW which is the barrier, rather than the science or engineering. The more publicity it gets the more I think the chances are that VW will do something. Also if the Marco Polo is successful it might help VW being so complacent.

Did you take any photos of the corrosion in the seal before you returned it?

As someone about to part with around £50K at the beginning of February, with still the option to pull out, I find this corrosion issue deeply troubling. My inclination is to still go ahead, but expect the worse at some stage. As I intend to keep the vehicle long term I tend to agree with WelshGas and the Crispin Family and to check the vehicle just before the warranty expires. For me this means VW have another few years to come up with a permanent solution. It can't be rocket science - there is an aluminum roof, primer, paint and a seal at the end of the day. Personally I think it is a lack of will/leadership within VW which is the barrier, rather than the science or engineering. The more publicity it gets the more I think the chances are that VW will do something. Also if the Marco Polo is successful it might help VW being so complacent.
Stephen, I am in exactly the same boat as you in every regard. About to part with 50k ish, inclination not to cancel, want to keep long term, recognise VW don't have an offered solution (for what ever reason) and therefore will only look at seal for potential corrosion at about two years and six/nine months. If present they,VW, can fix it under the warranty. Still annoying though!

Did you take any photos of the corrosion in the seal before you returned it?
Yes I'll try to upload tonight .

Trebor, very interesting observations. Thanks for your post. Could you upload your best photos to MEDIA and advise when done so? Also when you have your new seal can you ask your dealer if there are any special instructions for fitting? If there are I would like to see a copy if possible. Thanks JW
I'll try to upload tonight . Fitting / removing seal is very easy just don't put strain on the 90degee corners . I'd say pull off half way down a side and fit on front corners first .

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try to upload tonight . Fitting / removing seal is very easy just don't put strain on the 90degee corners . I'd say pull off half way down a side and fit on front corners first .
Great thanks. Would you happen to know, or could you find out, the part number of the rusty seal?

Hoping this is where I post my reply to the email suggesting a corrosion inspection on the roof of T6. Mine was first registered November 15. No sign of corrosion yet under the seal. Cheers

Hi Zoki :)
I own a T6 Cali Ocean registered Dec 2015. I am currently at my local van centre and the main guy who is responsible for handling the T5 corrosion issues has just checked my vehicle. There isn't any corrosion and he has strongly advised me NOT to remove the roof seal because it is sealed with a specific type of adhesive and once removed you need to reseal it properly. Otherwise you may get water ingress.
Karen

I own a T6 Cali Ocean registered Dec 2015. I am currently at my local van centre and the main guy who is responsible for handling the T5 corrosion issues has just checked my vehicle. There isn't any corrosion and he has strongly advised me NOT to remove the roof seal because it is sealed with a specific type of adhesive and once removed you need to reseal it properly. Otherwise you may get water ingress.
Karen
No adhesive on mine. No sign of any residue from an adhesive. Water under it on inspection... a dry day too. It obviously isn't water tight....it doesn't look like it's designed to be.

Karen
There doesn't appear to be any type of adhesive under the seal and it certainly isn't watertight. When mine was checked at SMG Cowfold the seal was just peeled back, photos taken and then replaced. Definitely no mention of adhesive.

@Trebor , if it's not obvious from your photos, could you do us all a great service by doing a simple sketch of the cross section of the seal, showing where the steel is, and where it is exposed? It may help us make sense of your images. (Just take a photo of your sketch and upload).
I'm assuming (dangerous) that the cross section is more complex than a simple U, with the steel lying exposed at the bottom.

Karen

More misinformation from a VW dealer.

Never seen any sign of adhesive on any of the 5 different seals I have looked under.

There doesn't appear to be any type of adhesive under the seal and it certainly isn't watertight. When mine was checked at SMG Cowfold the seal was just peeled back, photos taken and then replaced. Definitely no mention of adhesive.
None under mine....just water. Sounds like the guy at the garage was dreaming.

@Trebor , if it's not obvious from your photos, could you do us all a great service by doing a simple sketch of the cross section of the seal, showing where the steel is, and where it is exposed? It may help us make sense of your images. (Just take a photo of your sketch and upload).
I'm assuming (dangerous) that the cross section is more complex than a simple U, with the steel lying exposed at the bottom.
No steel visible in my seal. Regards

Karen
Firstly thanks for doing this. My dealer in Sussex said it was no more difficult than simply pulling it with care. He stated a willingness to do it anytime I popped in. If only we all received similar advice. I think others on the site will validate the simplicity. I fully understand however your desire to take it no further.

There isn't any corrosion and he has strongly advised me NOT to remove the roof seal because then you would probably find corrosion and they would have to deal with all the paperwork of submitting a warranty claim.
Fixed that for you! :)

More misinformation from a VW dealer.

Never seen any sign of adhesive on any of the 5 different seals I have looked under.
Hi snowy55 :)
I will have another chat with the guy I spoke with today. Is yours a T6 Cali ?

Fixed that for you! :)
Thanks for that RichardP ☺ He actually encouraged me to come back and see him if there was a hint of corrosion.

T4, where can I see these photo's? Can you advise?
Thanks
JW

Back