Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extended 5 year Warranty, is it not available no more?

I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to buy the factory extended warranty - it is still on the VW Commercial website after all. https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en/service-accessories/warranties/extended-warranty.html.

The brochure that you can download is pretty slim. I've attached the PDF that I got from my dealer last November. If your dealer doesn't think that it's available, buy it elsewhere - any VW Commercial dealer should be able to sell it to you within three months of your vehicle's registration date, although they only get £40 for a two year extension (see the PDF), so it's not that lucrative for them.

Attachments

• CV Extended Warranty.pdf
    462.7 KB · Views: 8
£329 seems good value if you can get it.
In euroland the standard warranty is only 2 years. I opted for the 5 yr factory extended warranty but it was €1,300.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

£329 seems good value if you can get it.
In euroland the standard warranty is only 2 years. I opted for the 5 yr factory extended warranty but it was €1,300.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can’t see how anyone buying a £55k and upwards Cali doesn’t think £329 for an extra 2 years warranty is anything but a bargain!

I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to buy the factory extended warranty - it is still on the VW Commercial website after all. https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en/service-accessories/warranties/extended-warranty.html.

The brochure that you can download is pretty slim. I've attached the PDF that I got from my dealer last November. If your dealer doesn't think that it's available, buy it elsewhere - any VW Commercial dealer should be able to sell it to you within three months of your vehicle's registration date, although they only get £40 for a two year extension (see the PDF), so it's not that lucrative for them.

That's the leaflet I showed to our dealer in September 2017. He hadn't seen it before and said that as the van was preregistered it couldn't be used. But it asks for Van Centre Name, Van Centre Number, etc. Date of registration, Level of extra cover required and is the vehicle less than 3 months old. It needs the dealer to fill in and send off.
It takes a long time to show up on the VWCC records as they are entered in batches and if you have just missed an entry batch your application has to wait till the next one.

There are a lot of threads on here about the registration system. It may have improved since then.

Having just read this thread I am still unclear as to whether or not the Factory Extended Warrantee is still available on vehicles less than three months old?

I spoke to a VW commercial salesman friend of mine today, who said to his knowledge the extra two year warranty is still in place for £329+VAT if applied for up to 90 days of purchase. But will look into it.
I will let you know.

I never even got a receipt from Llandudno, just a credit card slip. I have got a copy of the invoice though.

If you haven’t already done so I would recommend you check it is on the system.
I had an itemised receipt from
Llandudno showing the extended warranty. However, when the van was 3 to 4 months old and I had heard nothing further I checked with the service desk and they told me there was no extended warranty for my Cali. To cut short a very long and frustrating story it took me a further year to get the warranty on the system. I discovered that the dealership had entered the vin number incorrectly on the paperwork, so a warranty had been created for a non existent vehicle but not for mine.

I have just heard back from the Salesman friend of mine. He's check and the two year extended warranty is still available but must be purchased within 90 days of vans registration.
The annoying thing for us was that our VW demonstrator Ocean we have just purchased with delivery miles could only be released after 4 months from first registration, to meet VW's requirements for a demonstrator. This made it impossible to get the two year extended "factory" warranty as it was more than 90 days from registration.
Is this always the case with VW demonstrators? Or are there different VW dealer plans for demonstrators with different dealer discounts and different release periods?

I've purchased two ex demonstrators since 2015, both picked up within the three month period and both with all the same perks as if brand new, e.g cheap two year extended factory warrantee and the cheap two service package. Unless they've changed their policy, VW have always released demonstrators after only three months not four.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: DG1
The annoying thing for us was that our VW demonstrator Ocean we have just purchased with delivery miles could only be released after 4 months from first registration, to meet VW's requirements for a demonstrator. This made it impossible to get the two year extended "factory" warranty as it was more than 90 days from registration.
Is this always the case with VW demonstrators? Or are there different VW dealer plans for demonstrators with different dealer discounts and different release periods?

The dealer is able to put the extended warranty onto the vehicle, there is nothing on the application form to ask who the owner is. If they do keep it for the 3 months then it comes out of their dealership with the warranty already in place. But they need to fill in the form to get the various dealer numbers and information required.

Edit; I don't understand the period of time the dealer holds a preregistered vehicle for.
On our first Cali it was exactly 3 months. On the latest one it was held by them for only 2 weeks before we could take it.

Last edited:
Is this always the case with VW demonstrators? Or are there different VW dealer plans for demonstrators with different dealer discounts and different release periods?[/QUOTE

Hopefully you negotiated a large enough discount to allow for no extended warranty.

Hopefully you negotiated a large enough discount to allow for no extended warranty.[/QUOTE]

• Agree
Reactions: DG1
I asked my dealer about this a couple of days ago and he said that as far as he was concerned, the extended warranty (the £329 + VAT one) is still available.

I asked for this at the time we ordered and although it is on our receipt from the dealer, it is not part of the order sent to VW; the dealer explained that the warranty is taken out with the dealer within the first 3 months of ownership.

Our Beach was nominally a demonstrator. We had it from new with a 14% discount, but the dealer was the registered keeper for the first three months.

We are hopefully picking up our new Ocean next week. We didn’t know anything about extended warranty and have never had it previously on new cars. Would corrosion not be covered on vow corrosion warranty or do the California’s have a lot of post three year issues as the view seems to be it is a no brainier?

We are hopefully picking up our new Ocean next week. We didn’t know anything about extended warranty and have never had it previously on new cars. Would corrosion not be covered on vow corrosion warranty or do the California’s have a lot of post three year issues as the view seems to be it is a no brainier?

Warranty like any insurance is something you hope you don’t have to use but are glad of when you do.

I’ve not looked at the fine print on mine but as any repair on any vehicle is so expensive it’s a no brainier for me on a Cali. 50p a day for the two years.

Mike

I’ve not looked at the fine print on mine but as any repair on any vehicle is so expensive it’s a no brainier for me on a Cali. 50p a day for the two years.

All we got was an invoice, but no other documentation - should we have received some?

Warranty like any insurance is something you hope you don’t have to use but are glad of when you do.

Mike

My understanding is there’s no fine print to read, it’s an extension of the factory warranty.

I still can’t can’t get my head around how anyone spending over £55k on not only a complicated vehicle but one with dual battery system, electric roof, kitchen / gas system, all covered for 2 extra years even considers not taking the VW offer of £329 up.

Either the buyer is going to keep their Cali for at least 5 years which makes it a bargain.

Or they will sell it within 5 years which as the warranty can be passed onto the the new buyer will make the resale of their Cali worth way more than the initial outlay.

Agree it's a good offer worth taking up but to be clear and avoid confusion it is £395. (329 +vat).

All we got was an invoice, but no other documentation - should we have received some?

I did after I asked. Important thing is that it is registered with VW. I received a confirmation email from VW but also check with your dealer or at the service desk as it should show up in the computer system. This is important as if you were abroad it would show up.

Mike

I did after I asked. Important thing is that it is registered with VW. I received a confirmation email from VW but also check with your dealer or at the service desk as it should show up in the computer system. This is important as if you were abroad it would show up.
I am not sure this last bit is correct, Mike.

My understanding is that the first 2 years of the 5 year extended warranty is the standard VW (Europe) warranty and can be used pretty much anywhere within Europe.
The third year is a standard VW (UK) extension. Within Europe but outside the UK you will have to pay for any warranty repair yourself and claim back on your return to the UK.
The fourth and fifth years are an optional VW (UK) extension. Again, outside the UK you will have to pay for any warranty repairs yourself and claim when back in the UK.

This is how the warranty and extended warranty was explained to me, but, either:
- I may have misunderstood the explanation; or,
- the person explaining it to me might not have had a clue.

Although a UK warranty might show up on a non-UK VW computer system, I would not bank on it.

In Spain my Beach had its first service. I had paid for a five year service package (four services), but it did not show up on the Spanish system and I had to pay for the service myself.

I am not sure this last bit is correct, Mike.

My understanding is that the first 2 years of the 5 year extended warranty is the standard VW (Europe) warranty and can be used pretty much anywhere within Europe.
The third year is a standard VW (UK) extension. Within Europe but outside the UK you will have to pay for any warranty repair yourself and claim back on your return to the UK.
The fourth and fifth years are an optional VW (UK) extension. Again, outside the UK you will have to pay for any warranty repairs yourself and claim when back in the UK.

This is how the warranty and extended warranty was explained to me, but, either:
- I may have misunderstood the explanation; or,
- the person explaining it to me might not have had a clue.

Although a UK warranty might show up on a non-UK VW computer system, I would not bank on it.

In Spain my Beach had its first service. I had paid for a five year service package (four services), but it did not show up on the Spanish system and I had to pay for the service myself.

Thanks Tom. I recall reading some of your posts at the time and about the differences between UK and mainland Europe. Complicated by the sounds of it.

Mike

The 4th-5th year warranties are nothing to do with the dealers and they can’t access them on the normal VW system.
They have to log onto the VW Germany factory where all the details are held. All you get is literally a receipt from the dealer.
I only know this because recently I wanted to check mine was covered and I had to call two different dealers and SMG were the only ones who knew how it works.
It’s not a 3 party warranty but actual VW In Germany.
Hope this settles your queries.

I got this today forwarded from my dealer, its from VWCV to them

I have had a look at our master records and I can see vehicle’s details have been sent to Germany to be added to the correct systems – this is confirmation that we have the customer details and it is being processed.

Unfortunately we did not have anything in place at the time to generate a confirmation of purchase for the customer. The only thing the customer would have is their invoice. When the vehicles’ details are uploaded onto Elsa Pro then you will be able to provide a screenshot to them?

Back