Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extended Factory Warranty?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Our Cali Beach is now thirty eight months old and recently presented an air bag warning light. The previous day I had wound the front passenger seat back fully in order to prepare for carrying a long piece of kitchen worktop. The light came on the next time I turned on the ignition!

I suspected the wiring harness serving the inbuilt passenger seat air bag had become detached. However there was no point in looking as I don't own the correct diagnostics gadget to reset the system. I therefore booked the vehicle in to my dealer to have the issue examined and rectified. They confirmed that the wiring connection had been completely torn apart. The fault was fixed and the system reset. I was then informed that as this wasn't a warrantee item, I would have to pay. The Service Manager did say he would arrange some discount and that he'd contact me later to settle the bill.

Before visiting the dealer I'd contacted VW customer services at Milton Keynes for details of what the extended factory warranty covered only to be told that they have no records of my having an extended warranty. However, as I had proof of purchase and a fax from the dealer stating that I'd purchased said EFW that wasn't an issue.

I was subsequently told by my dealer that everything is now electronic and the customers don't receive a hard copy of the Ts and Cs. So I went online and looked into the VW advertising information about both the original three year Manufacturers Warrantee and the Extended Factory Warranty. Without boring you with the details VWs online blurb states that the extended warranty gives you exactly the same benefits as the makers original three year warranty.

Having read about what is covered and all the exemptions I told the Service Manager that the work was a warranty item. After all the front seats on a Cali are designed to recline and swivel and if they cannot do that without ripping the wiring loom apart then that is either a manufacturing fault or a wiring loom routing issue. Either way it wasn't, as the Service Manager informed me, "an adjustment and therefore not covered". A long conversation then followed in which he told me that he had already given me a heavy discount on this work and that he knew VW would not pay for this work so it would be he (his dealership department) that would have to pay. I for my part asked him what he would do if my van was only a week old. He agreed that the work would be carried out free of charge. So I then pointed out that according to VWs own online sales information, the Extended Factory Warranty provides exactly the same benefits as the manufacturers three year warranty. He then said because my van was older than six months they couldn't do the work for free. I then asked to see this ruling in writing and also why weren't customers told this. I also said that it made no mention of this condition anywhere in the online Ts and Cs and that therefore if true, VW are guilty of misrepresentation when selling these extended warrantys. At this point he begrudgingly agreed to pay the full amount.

Now that figure wasn't alot. The difference between what he had originally discounted and what I was being asked to pay was only about £35 but that's not the point. There is a principal at stake here. VW should stick to what their advertising says and not try to pull the wool over customers eyes with hidden conditions. So the moral of this story for me is: Don't pay for any Warranty work until you've checked the online sales blurb, then stand your ground.

This isn't the first warranty run in I've had either. VW refused to pay out for a new wheel centre when the VW badge delaminated a few months after it was new. They said it was a wear and tear item and therefore not covered. I asked them: what wear and tear is a hub cap is exposed to? I also stated that if they were supposed to delaminate then the hedgerows would be full of shiny VW badges. They refused to change their policy but did refund the price of the replacement as a gesture of good will. That wasn't the result I was after.

The point of this thread is: Are these Extended Factory Warrantys worth paying for especially if VW are going to find all sorts of questionable tactics to avoid paying out. Has anyone else experience anything similar?

Finally, I only continue to have the minor routine servicing work done by the dealer as it is a condition of the EFW. I've just paid £235 for an oil, filter and pollen filter change. I could have done that work for a fraction of that cost and saved myself a lost day out and a considerable amount of fuel by doing it at home. So in order to keep the EFW there are considerable other costs involved as well.

Last edited:
I've got a certificate of warranty purchase - a PDF from the dealer, but I can't get VW to find any proof of this on their system, however they do know I've got 2 free services. I find this a bit strange. Does anyone know if they log the extended warranty on the system? I'm worried in 3 years time when I need it they'll act clueless and claim I don't have an extended warranty.

Our Cali Beach is now thirty eight months old and recently presented an air bag warning light. The previous day I had wound the front passenger seat back fully in order to prepare for carrying a long piece of kitchen worktop. The light came on the next time I turned on the ignition!

I suspected the wiring harness serving the inbuilt passenger seat air bag had become detached. However there was no point in looking as I don't own the correct diagnostics gadget to reset the system. I therefore booked the vehicle in to my dealer to have the issue examined and rectified. They confirmed that the wiring connection had been completely torn apart. The fault was fixed and the system reset. I was then informed that as this wasn't a warrantee item, I would have to pay. The Service Manager did say he would arrange some discount and that he'd contact me later to settle the bill.

Before visiting the dealer I'd contacted VW customer services at Milton Keynes for details of what the extended factory warrantee covered only to be told that they have no records of my having an extended warrantee. However, as I had proof of purchase and a fax from the dealer stating that I'd purchased said EFW that wasn't an issue.

I was subsequently told by my dealer that everything is now electronic and the customers don't receive a hard copy of the Ts and Cs. So I went online and looked into the VW advertising information about both the original three year Manufacturers Warrantee and the Extended Factory Warrantee. Without boring you with the details VWs online blurb states that the extended warrantee gives you exactly the same benefits as the makers original three year warrantee.

Having read about what is covered and all the exemptions I told the Service Manager that the work was a warrantee item. After all the front seats on a Cali are designed to recline and swivel and if they cannot do that without ripping the wiring loom apart then that is either a manufacturing fault or a wiring loom routing issue. Either way it wasn't, as the Service Manager informed me, "an adjustment and therefore not covered". A long conversation then followed in which he told me that he had already given me a heavy discount on this work and that he knew VW would not pay for this work so it would be he (his dealership department) that would have to pay. I for my part asked him what he would do if my van was only a week old. He agreed that the work would be carried out free of charge. So I then pointed out that according to VWs own online sales information, the Extended Factory Warrantee provides exactly the same benefits as the manufacturers three year warrantee. He then said because my van was older than six months they couldn't do the work for free. I then asked to see this ruling in writing and also why weren't customers told this. I also said that it made no mention of this condition anywhere in the online Ts and Cs and that therefore if true, VW are guilty of misrepresentation when selling these extended warrantees. At this point he begrudgingly agreed to pay the full amount.

Now that figure wasn't alot. The difference between what he had originally discounted and what I was being asked to pay was only about £35 but that's not the point. There is a principal at stake here. VW should stick to what their advertising says and not try to pull the wool over customers eyes with hidden conditions. So the moral of this story for me is: Don't pay for any Warrantee work until you've checked the online sales blurb, then stand your ground.

This isn't the first warrantee run in I've had either. VW refused to pay out for a new wheel centre when the VW badge delaminated a few months after it was new. They said it was a wear and tear item and therefore not covered. I asked them: what wear and tear is a hub cap is exposed to? I also stated that if they were supposed to delaminate then the hedgerows would be full of shiny VW badges. They refused to change their policy but did refund the price of the replacement as a gesture of good will. That wasn't the result I was after.

The point of this thread is: Are these Extended Factory Warrantees worth paying for especially if VW are going to find all sorts of questionable tactics to avoid paying out. Has anyone else experience anything similar?

Finally, I only continue to have the minor routine servicing work done by the dealer as it is a condition of the EFW. I've just paid £235 for an oil, filter and pollen filter change. I could have done that work for a fraction of that cost and saved myself a lost day out and a considerable amount of fuel by doing it at home. So in order to keep the EFW there are considerable other costs involved as well.
One question. Had the Service Manager actually put in a Warranty Claim to VW and had it refused?
The reason I ask is that All Car Manufacturers have fixed time and costs for warranty procedures that are probably considerably less than the Dealership could charge you personally. The Dealership will have signed upto these Warranty costs as part of the Dealership Contract, but if they can get more by getting you to pay for the work rather than putting it through as a Warranty Claim, they will.

I have the EFW purely for the big costly items like turbo, EGR DSG etc..
That's really why I have one. I didn't buy it for the small stuff. However as I said, there's a principal at stake here. If they are going to advertise their products making bold promises they should keep to them.

I'm starting to wonder if their first action is to tell the customer it's not covered as some will just pay up and not query it.

One question. Had the Service Manager actually put in a Warranty Claim to VW and had it refused?
The reason I ask is that All Car Manufacturers have fixed time and costs for warranty procedures that are probably considerably less than the Dealership could charge you personally. The Dealership will have signed upto these Warranty costs as part of the Dealership Contract, but if they can get more by getting you to pay for the work rather than putting it through as a Warranty Claim, they will.
I started by asking him if he had referred the matter to VW and his words were something along the lines of, "No I don't have to as I know they won't pay out on something like this".

That's really why I have one. I didn't buy it for the small stuff. However as I said, there's a principal at stake here. If they are going to advertise their products making bold promises they should keep to them.

I'm starting to wonder if their first action is to tell the customer it's not covered as some will just pay up and not query it.
Then there’s the threat..... “we’ll have take the kitchen out”.

Hi Borris,

Glad to hear you dug your heels in and got the result you should have been offered in the first place!

As mentioned in your original thread the VW marketing info regarding the EFS states that everything cover in the original three year period is covered during the Extended period, therefore there should be no discussion from the dealership regarding the customer paying.

I assume the dealer will opt for the best method of overhead recovery open to them. i.e get the customer to pay more than VW would reimburse the dealership.
How many people just pay up despite items clearly being warranty claims?

I have read before there are issues with the VW recognising the EFS, I was informed this by the dealer whom I bought my Cali from, they suggested keeping the “receipt” for the EFS in a safe place!!!! They are aware of the issue ! But it still persists!

Why o why in an electronic age of paperless information can VW not get the records right, it’s a bit worrying especially as VW have done away with the paper service record (book).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started by asking him if he had referred the matter to VW and his words were something along the lines of, "No I don't have to as I know they won't pay out on something like this".
Another dealer to avoid then? Why is it always a hassle when anything other than routine servicing is required?

I had the 6 month from new not covered by the warranty relating to a rattle as" if the trim requires removing to investigate it becomes chargeable".
Seems the warranty is 6 months only on some issues. Definitely not stated by VW at any point unless a repair is requested.

I've got a certificate of warranty purchase - a PDF from the dealer, but I can't get VW to find any proof of this on their system, however they do know I've got 2 free services. I find this a bit strange. Does anyone know if they log the extended warranty on the system? I'm worried in 3 years time when I need it they'll act clueless and claim I don't have an extended warranty.
It took 3-4 months for my EFW to show on the dealer's systems.

I had the 6 month from new not covered by the warranty relating to a rattle as" if the trim requires removing to investigate it becomes chargeable".
Seems the warranty is 6 months only on some issues. Definitely not stated by VW at any point unless a repair is requested.

I had that issue when I first got the beach they told me that I would be charged because panels have to be removed and it was over six months old I then told them I would ring up VW customer services as I was unaware and unable to find anything that states that the dealer then change his mind and claimed on warranty for it :headbang

I had that issue when I first got the beach they told me that I would be charged because panels have to be removed and it was over six months old I then told them I would ring up VW customer services as I was unaware and unable to find anything that states that the dealer then change his mind and claimed on warranty for it :headbang
Call me cynical, but even if you paid, they might have tried a full claim anyway?

The EFW has to be registered on two computer data bases. One in the UK and one in Germany. They are called SAGA/2 and Elsa pro. These names came from VWCS in the UK.

Hi Borris/Matt,
My ocean went in for its first mot a brake fluid change recently. The mot was free with the 4 services I purchased at time of buying.
When I contacted eurovans of Crawley. They did say they have no records of that or the extended warranty I purchased too.
I was asked to bring my proof of purchased when I visit. To be fair on Eurovans in the mean they had took the time to investigate my situation with success and they had all the records of my purchase by the time I arrived for the Mot.

So somewhere records are kept.

I hope this helps....

Playing the Devil's Advocate, isn't there a difference between this sort of thing happening early on in the vehicle ownership, when it will be more likely than not a manufacturing fault, than later in ownership after the seat has had covers fitted, battery terminals accessed, lost glasses fished from behind or any other number of activities that may have pushed, pulled or twisted the wiring beyond the design limitations which is more likely than not to have caused the damage?

And what would the law say. It is up to the owner to prove fault by VW, up to VW to prove fault by the owner, or is it the balance of probability. At a best guess, I would say it is balance of probability, and the newer the vehicle the more likely the fault to be with VW.

I thought so. Glad you stuck to your guns.

Interesting. I really quizzed Lancashire van centre on at least two occasions before coughing for the extended 2 yrs having been assured in no uncertain terms this wasnt an insurance extension but underwritten by VW and needed to be taken within 3 months of purchase. The cover is identical to the three year cover were the words
So against my better judgement I paid , it is however untested and I was assured the receipt for payment was all i was going to get.
However as a related aside I bought a used Q5 which showed on the first owner specification this same 2 years warranty (ie factory backed). When i went to the same supplying dealer in year 4 it was no can do as records checked and no extension exists, stating that it maybe on the spec but the first owner never actually paid for it. Recognise the pattern here ! At the time I took it as face value but Im now convinced I was conned out of an entitlement.
Said it before but I really think that VW and its related companies have descended into a pretty crummy and demonstrably dishonest outfit so no wonder some of dealers seem to be following suit. Chancers.
The industry is full of this so it becomes a race to the bottom but VW brand very damaged in my eyes.
Caveat Emptor

Playing the Devil's Advocate, isn't there a difference between this sort of thing happening early on in the vehicle ownership, when it will be more likely than not a manufacturing fault, than later in ownership after the seat has had covers fitted, battery terminals accessed, lost glasses fished from behind or any other number of activities that may have pushed, pulled or twisted the wiring beyond the design limitations which is more likely than not to have caused the damage?

And what would the law say. It is up to the owner to prove fault by VW, up to VW to prove fault by the owner, or is it the balance of probability. At a best guess, I would say it is balance of probability, and the newer the vehicle the more likely the fault to be with VW.
No there isn't. The wording of the EFW is quite clear. VW states that it offers the same benefits as the manufacturers three year warrantee. If they want to place extra conditions on it then they should tell their customers up front at point of sale.

Fitted seat covers wouldn't have caused this problem and this was the first time the seat had been fully reclined. Nothing is stored or has ever been stored or dropped under the front passenger seat for two reasons:
1. There just isn't any space.
2. More importantly, I've read about people having problems with the under seat wiring on this forum before so have never placed anything under the seat. Before this issue no one has had cause to access the under seat area.

In the end if you can't recline or swivel your cali seats without pulling the wiring loom apart then it ain't fit for purpose.

The EFW has to be registered on two computer data bases. One in the UK and one in Germany. They are called SAGA/2 and Elsa pro. These names came from VWCS in the UK.
If VW can’t get 2 databases to talk to each there’s something wrong! Probably running off a printout, faxing it to Germany, where it’s scanned, emailed, printed then input by hand.

Interesting we are told that extended warranty doesn’t cover wiring faults, trim panels and glass. I will ask our warranty manager in the morning for his view. Also and just a side note factory warranty only covers things like squeaks, rattles and wear and tear items I.e clutches or brake pads for 6months or 6000 miles which ever comes first

Well if that's the case then they should inform their customers before they purchase this product.

Interesting we are told that extended warranty doesn’t cover wiring faults, trim panels and glass. I will ask our warranty manager in the morning for his view. Also and just a side note factory warranty only covers things like squeaks, rattles and wear and tear items I.e clutches or brake pads for 6months or 6000 miles which ever comes first
Again there's no mention of this in VW's online sales blurb re the EFW.

Back