Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extended Factory Warranty?

Again there's no mention of this in VW's online sales blurb re the EFW.

Have you got a link you could send me I very interested in what you guys as customers are being told to what we are being told.

Interesting we are told that extended warranty doesn’t cover wiring faults, trim panels and glass.
Then why dose the Extended Warranty leaflet say “exactly the same cover as the original manufacturers warranty”? These words are not open to interpretation!

Then why dose the Extended Warranty leaflet say “exactly the same cover as the original manufacturers warranty”? These words are not open to interpretation!

I’ve never actually see the leaflet that customers get
As a technician we have the factory warranty guide to follow. I’m not doubting that’s what the leaflet says at all actually very interested in what’s written down and would love to get to the bottom of why there are differences in what we are instructed as to what the leaflet says.

Extended warranties are considered a financial product and as such have the same protection and regulation, maybe VW need to have a test case brought against them by the OFT or Finacial regulators?

Have sent a further info to Chris at Liverpool Van Center, i've been trying to get proof of my extended warranty for quiet a few months now.

Vw statement is unequivocal, end of.

If you find yourself in a situation where VW have no record and refute your extended warrant, contact the FSA or OFT

Similarly if a claim for warranty is refuted point out that you know your rights and will report any mal practice. A copy of the leaflet Jaberwocky was kind enough to post should leave no doubt on the dealers part.

VW cannot be game keeper and poacher !

Have you got a link you could send me I very interested in what you guys as customers are being told to what we are being told.
The full information is on the VW Commercial website under EFWs. I'm sorry but I am under orders to go out and we're late. I think Jabberwocky has given the gist though.

Here you go.

Can some one PDF this and added it to the VIP section for posterity?

That's really why I have one. I didn't buy it for the small stuff. However as I said, there's a principal at stake here. If they are going to advertise their products making bold promises they should keep to them.

I'm starting to wonder if their first action is to tell the customer it's not covered as some will just pay up and not query it.

Who is this poor chap you are going to burn anyway :)

I'm in last month of my 3 year factory warranty and being offered extended warranty. 'Full cover' personal quote about 700 for 12 months with 250 excess and 15000 mileage limit. I'm on 61000 . Exclusions include normal 'wear and tear' , which is typical even under the original factory warranty. No mention of California camping equipment being excluded. One difference I noted to 'factory extended warranty' was 2500 claim limit and no doubt claiming anything against it won't be easy as there will be more room to argue 'wear and tear' in an older vehicle. Anybody had any big warranty knock backs? I'll decide over next fortnight.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

So you pay a 700 bet that nothing big goes wrong in the next 12m? If I felt the van was likely to suffer something big, I’d sell and buy another. Otherwise I’d keep the money in the bank and take the chance.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

The extended warranty is only a good deal if you got it when purchading the van. This wasn't an option when we got ours so as above the 700 quid stays in the bank especially as VW try to wriggle out of any claim.
Has anyone yet made a successful claim under Years 4/5 of the Extended Warranty?

Has anyone yet made a successful claim under Years 4/5 of the Extended Warranty?
It should be trivial to make a claim or claims:
• Extended warranties offer you exactly the same level of cover as the original manufacturer warranty.
• There is no limit to the number of claims you can make, no excess and no requirement to pay and then reclaim the costs.
• All repairs will be carried out by the Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles’ authorised network using genuine parts.
• The warranty is fully transferable to a new owner (and subsequent owners) should you sell, which will help to enhance the resale value.
•For any repairs, just contact any Volkswagen Van Centre.
https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/c...tions/original./factory_extended_warranty.pdf

It should be trivial to make a claim or claims:
• Extended warranties offer you exactly the same level of cover as the original manufacturer warranty.
• There is no limit to the number of claims you can make, no excess and no requirement to pay and then reclaim the costs.
• All repairs will be carried out by the Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles’ authorised network using genuine parts.
• The warranty is fully transferable to a new owner (and subsequent owners) should you sell, which will help to enhance the resale value.
•For any repairs, just contact any Volkswagen Van Centre.
https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/c...tions/original./factory_extended_warranty.pdf
That is Not the question I asked.

I'm on my second attempted claim under the Extended Factory Warranty.

On the first occasion it concerned a faulty parking heater fan that made a nasty noise when operating. The internals had come apart! The dealer Service Manager's response, "Sorry, but it's not covered". My response, "Oh yes it is" referrring him to VW's on line advertising for the EFW which states that the EFW offers the same benefits as the original three year one. After some more lively debate the dealer SM then backed down and paid for the repair in full. I don't know if he claimed the costs from VW under the EFW.

The second claim, which is still ongoing, concerns a broken top plastic picnic chair leg joint. The dealers response, "Sorry, but it's not covered". My response, "Oh yes it is". Only this time I couldn't be bothered arguing with the dealer service department. I've written to VW's Customer Service Department instead. The basis of my complaint being that when the first chair broke in exactly the same way, it was replaced under the original three year warranty. Therefore the second one should be as well under the EFW.

I have also asked for a hard copy of the hidden terms and conditions that the customers are never given. I'm not holding my breath.

The third thing I've asked them to do is to contact the chair manufacturer and discuss an upgrade of that plastic component. It's such a common fault that it's about time they did something about it. I'm not expecting much there either.

So you may have guessed that I'm not impressed by VW's EFW so far.

Last edited:
A quick update:

I received a telephone call from VW Customer Sevices yesterday. In short they stated that I was quite right in that the Extended Factory Warranty offers exactly the same benefits as the original three year warranty. Accordingly, they have instructed the dealership to replace my broken picnic chair under the EFW, free of charge. I was also told that VW will be contacting the chair manufacturer about a modification to this weak component. Whether they will is another matter!

So it's now 2 - 0 to me. :bananadance2

Whilst both cases ended up with either the dealer or VW paying, I would much rather the work had been carried out without the initial "Sorry, but it's not covered" response. I'd be interested if other people have had this from their dealers as I've been left with the impression that this is the initial response to any EFW claim. If owners are receiving this initial response then I suspect that a good proportion of them will just pay up without further quibble.

I fully understand that there might be circumstances where the customer might be responsible for the fault/damage either due to misuse or not following the manufacturers instructions or service schedule. That should and, in my experience usually is mentioned to the customer when you make a claim. Never the less, the claim should be investigated first before you hear those words "Sorry, but it's not covered".

Back