Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Good News for Travel To or Through France

Good news indeed.
Anybody got tips for getting a pcr test 24hrs prior to filling in locator form and arrival in France while on the two day road trip to get to the ferry?

If you going just make sure that you have had your jabs to avoid any surprises when you get there; Germany were very hot on 2 jabs (before booster) when I travelled for work at the end of last year. You needed proof to check into hotel, bar, restaurant etc, Christmas markets- no proof / no entry. Also needed to submit proof a couple of days beforehand to be able to use online check in with the airline, could also be done at the airport upon departure but involved a queue.

It might be different for France but worth checking.

I would wait until the final details are published to see if its lateral flow or PCR thats going to be required & the timings.

Whats your route to the ferry? I think all airports do express testing, certainly you can get a PCR done at Luton in the medium stay car park, you don't enter the airport building - vw california friendly & you don't need to pay for parking. Its ten minutes off the M1 if your are coming that way.

Plan at the moment is to use drive through at Heathrow. But waiting to see what French website will say when it's updated.

Good news indeed.
Anybody got tips for getting a pcr test 24hrs prior to filling in locator form and arrival in France while on the two day road trip to get to the ferry?
You don't say which ferry Port but you may be able to sort it by using these -- or others

Good news indeed.
Quote "Upon departure, all travellers, whether vaccinated or not, must present proof of a negative PCR or antigen test taken within 24 hours."

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/c...r-covid-19-questions-answered?var_mode=calcul

When we came back we had a lateral flow test delivered by Boots. Did it, uploaded picture and got result with a few hours. Maybe you could do one on route having got a test send to you before you leave home.

You just need one of these: diy test and email them a picture of the test device and your passport. Our certificates came back by email within a few hours when we used them last year. The only issue (as my son found out) is that you need to write the number on the test VERY clearly and neatly using a black biro not a felt tip. Luckily one of our tests contained 2 devices and he did his again.

Once you get into France does that then allow you to enter other European countries without further testing? Hoping to drive to Italy but not sure if you need a new test for each country?

Once you get into France does that then allow you to enter other European countries without further testing? Hoping to drive to Italy but not sure if you need a new test for each country?
From what I can make out NO . I was planning a trip to Italy across the Alps via Switzerland . I think you will need another Antigen taken within 24hrs to transit via Switzerland.
Check each governments entry requirements before planning your route (I believe entering Italy is ok), so yo could drive down through France and then directly to Italy rather than across Alps .
Information changes all the time though so keep checking nearer departure date .

Yes it does. There are no internal border checks within Schengen, but you have to abide by local rules. For example I “popped“ to Germany recently and did not need to do anything extra as I was not staying.

From what I can make out NO . I was planning a trip to Italy across the Alps via Switzerland . I think you will need another Antigen taken within 24hrs to transit via Switzerland.
Check each governments entry requirements before planning your route (I believe entering Italy is ok), so yo could drive down through France and then directly to Italy rather than across Alps .
Information changes all the time though so keep checking nearer departure date .
check the reopen.europa.eu site for details on transits and arrivals. no problems driving from France across Europe currently but Switzerland has always had a variation on the rules even in normal times.

Thanks for the advice, will check out those websites

Yes it does. There are no internal border checks within Schengen, but you have to abide by local rules. For example I “popped“ to Germany recently and did not need to do anything extra as I was not staying.
Thanks for the info on re open europe .
So to clarify we agree that UK citizens need to currently be careful thinking they can drive to Italy via France (currently) if they intend to plan a route across the Alps (which is most peoples preferred route) because although the schengen countries allow unrestricted travel , the transit route of Switzerland is not included and has its own rules (currently as follows )
Switzerland
What are the rules to enter this country from an EU Member State or Schengen Associated country?

Document checklist

1. All travellers entering Switzerland, including vaccinated and recovered persons, must complete the pre-departure Entry Form.
2. They must provide the results of a pre-departure negative PCR (72 hours) or antigen test (48 hours).
3. Persons over age 16, who are not fully vaccinated or recovered, must take a second test (PCR or antigen) between the fourth and seventh day of entry, and submit the results to the relevant cantonal authority.

The re-open.europa.eu site link is superb for anyone planning a trip . Just type in every country you plan on visiting individually to check current rules .

Heres a link and i will set up a separate post with this link as well to try and help anyone planning a trip .

Last edited:
Back