Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just announced - T6 recall for roof corrosion beneath the seal

Is your early T6 subject to this recall / VW action

• Yes and tape applied as no corrosion found

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Yes and corrosion found upon inspection

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
My late 2016 T6 Beach went for standard Service last week & I received a letter from my Dealer today asking me to book it in for a ‘free product enhancement’ ‘which takes approximately 3-hours’.

Their reference on the letter is “75A1 - California corrosion

My assumption from this is that they’ve checked it, it’s not showing signs of corrosion, and I’m going to get the sticking plaster solution applied (at their cost) to help prevent it corroding in the future ...

I've just booked my T5 in at Breeze Totton for a MOT and CamBelt change. They mentioned this recall when I booked so they're going to deal with that at the same time apparently.
I thought the recall related to the T6 only?

Our March 2016 Beach is going in to SMG Tonbridge for a look see next Tuesday. I phoned up earlier this week to find out if the replacement for our broken camping chair was in yet and they said "Whilst you on the phone........".

They lady I spoke to said the inspection was only to see if corrosion was present. If they don't find any they will book it in for a separate visit to have the foil stuff fitted. If there is corrosion then I'm not sure at present what course of action they will take. The same lady did say that any remedial work would be done in house.

Whilst this inspection is excellent news as I was going to have to check myself soon before the end of the three year warranty, I am a little perplexed as to why they can't inspect and fit the foil on the same day. If it's a case of needing to order the parts in then they know which Calis don't have foil and are the subject of this work. Therefore they will have to get foil instock to do the recall on those vehicles anyway. It's quite a distance to Tonbridge from where we live so it involves a day for each visit! Still it does give us an excuse for a day out using our senior bus passes.

Thanks, I await contact from my garage!

Your dealer will not contact you as it’s a workshop campaign. You would need to check with your dealer or wait until your next in for repair

Your dealer will not contact you as it’s a workshop campaign. You would need to check with your dealer or wait until your next in for repair
Thanks, service &MOT in November so I'll get it looked at then.

Hi everybody. You may wat to read this.....
I purchased mine on October last year MY18, when not in use it lives in the garage, albeit it has been used in the wet but not a massive amount.
After reading through this, I thought I would go and check if I had the front tape, I havnt, however look what I found lurking beneath!!

AA7E228D-7E51-4158-ACB4-0E53F4CCB3F1.jpeg

I purchased mine on October last year MY18, when not in use it lives in the garage, albeit it has been used in the wet but not a massive amount.
After reading through this, I thought I would go and check if I had the front tape, I havnt, however look what I found lurking beneath!!

View attachment 38386

I had one like this today but it was a 2015 vehicle the metal clasp of the seal had come through the rubber and started to corrode, the paint polished up all ok. The work instructions tell us to replace seals where the rubber has split and bond the new seal on as well as put a bead seal around the top to prevent water ingress.

View attachment 38386
The roof is aluminium so wouldn’t have a brown rust coloured corrosion, as @Vw guru says it must be from the metal clasp.

I had one like this today but it was a 2015 vehicle the metal clasp of the seal had come through the rubber and started to corrode, the paint polished up all ok. The work instructions tell us to replace seals where the rubber has split and bond the new seal on as well as put a bead seal around the top to prevent water ingress.
It will be going back. It’s 11 months old and stored in a garage. I’m not best impressed.
They have known about this issue on vehicles for SO long yet STILL can’t/won’t sort it at the manufacturing stage. Very very poor

18345ABC-631B-4DCF-A9F0-D4C8068C22C2.png

It will be going back. It’s 11 months old and stored in a garage. I’m not best impressed.
They have known about this issue on vehicles for SO long yet STILL can’t/won’t sort it at the manufacturing stage. Very very poor

View attachment 38390

It does intrigue me that we are instructed to fill the seal with a form of sealant then fit it over the newly fitted tape then put a 2mm bead around the top of the seal however this is not done at the factory. I just don’t get it.

It does intrigue me that we are instructed to fill the seal with a form of sealant then fit it over the newly fitted tape then put a 2mm bead around the top of the seal however this is not done at the factory. I just don’t get it.
I would have thought the priority at VW hq would be to source a different type of seal without the metal grips inside, not exactly rocket science is it. I don't get it either.

T5 and T6 2010-2017

Hi Guru,

It's always a pleasure to read your informative posts, thanks!

2010-2017[/QUOTE said:
: Is my conclusion right, that 2009 vehicles will not be examined? Why are these left out? (Our T5.1 is from 4/2009, and had the corrosion on the roof and on the RCBR twice.)

Marc.

My van has been examined and they are now waiting for tape. Has anyone heard when VW might be getting a new supply? You would have thought if they advertise a recall they would have a good supply of parts handy.....

My van has been examined and they are now waiting for tape. Has anyone heard when VW might be getting a new supply? You would have thought if they advertise a recall they would have a good supply of parts handy.....
I would have thought that they would get one or two rolls of this foil in stock before asking owners to bring their Calis in for inspection. That way if nothing is found they could clean the lip and fit the foil at the same time saving customers time and inconvenience.

We took our 30 month old Cali to SMG Tonbridge yesterday and after inspecting it thoroughly all they could find was one small spot at the front.

IMG_6433.jpg

Not good but I can't say that I am very concerned about that!

They said that they now have to refer the matter to VW who then authorise repairs before the fitment of the elusive foil. I was told that the corrosion will be ground back to bare metal and treated thoroughly before being repainted. The original seal will be refitted! I mentioned the issue of bonding the seal on (mentioned by someone recently) and they indicated that as far as they were aware that didn't form part of the process.

SMG dealt with everthing in their usual effecient manner.

I would have thought that they would get one or two rolls of this foil in stock before asking owners to bring their Calis in for inspection. That way if nothing is found they could clean the lip and fit the foil at the same time saving customers time and inconvenience.

We took our 30 month old Cali to SMG Tonbridge yesterday and after inspecting it thoroughly all they could find was one small spot at the front.

View attachment 38681

Not good but I can't say that I am very concerned about that!

They said that they now have to refer the matter to VW who then authorise repairs before the fitment of the elusive foil. I was told that the corrosion will be ground back to bare metal and treated thoroughly before being repainted. The original seal will be refitted! I mentioned the issue of bonding the seal on (mentioned by someone recently) and they indicated that as far as they were aware that didn't form part of the process.

SMG dealt with everthing in their usual effecient manner.

In which case they need to refer to the workshop manual where it clearly states that sealant must be applied.

Hi Guru,

Is my conclusion right, that 2009 vehicles will not be examined? Why are these left out? (Our T5.1 is from 4/2009, and had the corrosion on the roof and on the RCBR twice.)

Marc.

Hi Guru,

Is my conclusion right, that 2009 vehicles will not be examined? Why are these left out? (Our T5.1 is from 4/2009, and had the corrosion on the roof and on the RCBR twice.)

Marc.
Hi The earliest I have seen is 2010 but if you want to pm me your chassis I can check

In which case they need to refer to the workshop manual where it clearly states that sealant must be applied.
Thanks VW Guru. That's very interesting. Perhaps they haven't actually fitted any yet.

Can you detail how the sealant is to be applied? In blobs or continously into the full length of the rubber seal gripper channel before refitting?

I assume its prime purpose is to prevent water from entering the rubber seal gripper channel.

H
Thanks VW Guru. That's very interesting. Perhaps they haven't actually fitted any yet.

Can you detail how the sealant is to be applied? In blobs or continously into the full length of the rubber seal gripper channel before refitting?

I assume its prime purpose is to prevent water from entering the rubber seal gripper channel.

Hi @Borris the sealant should be applied 30-40 cm from each corner inside the seal, the seal should then be fitted and masking tape applied around the whole roof the seal should then have a 2mm bead of sealant applied around the whole roof to bond the seal to the roof.

Yes you are quite correct the idea of bonding the seal is to prevent water ingress completely