Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing cali t6 ocean yes/no and with what?

somed84

somed84

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
hey there

I’m looking for some good advice.

Never thought about changing my cali t6 ocean ‘17 but i got a super offer from the local dealer of my area and really thinking about selling it.

But i don’t know what to buy then.

Cali was great, but a bit too modern and technologic for my taste.
I prefer something a little more old school, with less stuff to care about.

I live in a mountain region and i’ve also a defender 110 ‘89, so i don’t know if it’s worth to buy another old girl or not.

So what you would do in this case?
Replacing it?
If yes with what?
Or just keep my cali and forget about the offer?

hey there

I’m looking for some good advice.

Never thought about changing my cali t6 ocean ‘17 but i got a super offer from the local dealer of my area and really thinking about selling it.

But i don’t know what to buy then.

Cali was great, but a bit too modern and technologic for my taste.
I prefer something a little more old school, with less stuff to care about.

I live in a mountain region and i’ve also a defender 110 ‘89, so i don’t know if it’s worth to buy another old girl or not.

So what you would do in this case?
Replacing it?
If yes with what?
Or just keep my cali and forget about the offer?
Hey @somed84 , only you can answer that question - and primarily depends on what you use your Cali for.

If you primarily use it for daily trips, can you do with a caravelle or a regular transporter?
If you use it for camping trips, do some research to see if you're able to replace with an older one and still keep money in the bank?
If you live in a hilly area, I guess 4 motion may be a must? Will you be able to get a vehicle with that spec?

These are some of the items I would consider.

Primarily base it on - what would you miss if the Cali goes and will you be able to replace it with what works for you.

Good offer from the local dealer needs to be considered in relation to what it would cost to replace the T6. Possibly over £20K for a new Camper with more Tech than you have/want now.

Going to an older vehicle will potentially give pre Euro6 travel restrictions. The Press forecast a big drop in value of those older ones during the next 2 years.

Would you have been considering a change without this offer?

Think ahead to the time that you accepted the offer and you now have only the Defender - what will you do and what are the financial implications of buying new or older with unknown faults looming.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

I try to give you more infos about my question.
I work as wildlife photographer, using my cali mostly as home for 2/4 months in a year when traveling around (20/25k kms/year)
My dailycar is the land rover but i used to use cali as everyday car when i ve to go to the city for some weeks, it usually happens for like 9/10 weeks in year, to bypass the low emission zones and traveling faster than 90 km/h.
The fact is that i really hate all those technological stuff modern cars have, i don t use em either, i prefer a lot more the semplicity of my defender to all those sensors and automatism my cali has.
That’s where my doubt come from.

What i m looking for:

Reliability
Not too big, it must stay into a garage.
Simplicity.
Enough power to move on alps roads.

I don’t care which brand, year or stuff like that.
I just have no knowledge about all these things to make the right choice.
Don’t know if it s worth to buy an ‘old’ vehicle that i would love or to buy a modern one in which i don’t feel myself, or if it’s better to just decline the offer and keep the things as they are now.

Good offer from the local dealer needs to be considered in relation to what it would cost to replace the T6. Possibly over £20K for a new Camper with more Tech than you have/want now.

Going to an older vehicle will potentially give pre Euro6 travel restrictions. The Press forecast a big drop in value of those older ones during the next 2 years.

Would you have been considering a change without this offer?

Think ahead to the time that you accepted the offer and you now have only the Defender - what will you do and what are the financial implications of buying new or older with unknown faults looming.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.
No i never considered changing it before the offer.
But i thought about if i made the right choice after i bought it.
Never had a modern car before it so my feeling about those technologies was born later.
The thing that let me seriously think about selling it is that i would get back almost the money i spent to buy it, more or less 60k euro (5 years and 150k kms later).
And yes, euro restriction can be a problem for all those times i ve to go to the city, but that’s not a huge thing.
Changing it for something more or as tech as this one is not an option, i would keep mine.

Two questions:

1. If your T6 is a bit too modern a techy for your tastes, what were your reasons for buying it in the first place?
2. Has it started to present issues thereby prompting you to consider such a change?

If your van is still behaving perfectly, then I don't see that you would have much to gain from buying something older and simpler as it will still present problems from time to time. Unless that is, you are hoping to release some cash.

If it's simpler you want then how about a basic Beach? You'll need a parking heater but they can be retro fitted.

Back